Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' Eagle® Road King®

Color Match of Factory Parts

(1/2) > >>

mfgreen:
Do any of the SERK owners notice that some of the colors on the most expensive machine that H-D makes do not match.  For example, the fenders, tank, saddlebags, and saddlebag lids should match and do not match? [smiley=confused5.gif]

naitram:

--- Quote ---Do any of the SERK owners notice that some of the colors on the most expensive machine that H-D makes do not match.  For example, the fenders, tank, saddlebags, and saddlebag lids should match and do not match? [smiley=confused5.gif]
--- End quote ---

eveything matches on my 02, wonder if they had problems on the 03(s). do you have any pictures?

mfgreen:
The problem with the paint is either application thickness (color density) or batch to batch matching of color.  The problem does not appear to be metameric (different light sources changing the look of the color match).
The appearance of the color match has appeared on more than one bike that I have personally seen.  So far, (3) of the five bikes that I have seen have this problem. Maybe I have just seen the disproportionate amount of color matches.  Additionally, I have seen other fit and finish problems with these bikes.  Upholstery, missing parts and general lack of quality control.  Don't get me wrong, I love this bike. As far as pictures go, I do not have an accurate enough camera to insure that you would be able to detect this on the internet.

naitram:
wonder if the surface has anything to do with it, the fenders and tank are metal and the saddlebags are fiberglass. i havent seen a 03 in person yet so i cant really comment on any differences, as for overall quality i only had one isuue on my 02 and the dealer warenteed it for me. the chrome on the tank panel was chipped around the nut that holds it down ( careless installaiton  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] )

mfgreen:
I went down to the H-D manufacturing plant at 3700 Juneau in Milwaukee late yesterday afternoon and a customer service rep(Katie) brought a Q.C. engineer (Rusty) outside the building to look at the bike.  Both agreed that color did not match and asked how I would like the problem resolved. The question about different substrates affecting the color came up and since both substrates are primed to the same color the finish coats should render the same results.  I told them that I would prefer to not put on the saddlebag bras to cover the paint, however, I had considered it.  They said that would talk to CVO in York, PA to find out how they wanted resolve it.  Seemed fairly successful after a sixty mile (one way)  ride in the rain through interstate construction and early rush hour traffic.  We'll see what's up with that. 05-02-03  ;DGot response from H-D that new stuff coming in to local dealer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version