Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' EagleĀ® Electra GlideĀ®

Help with modified 2005 CVO Electra Glide rear seat mount

<< < (2/2)

SagginBags23:
All great advice. I'll take a mirror and see if the original nutsert is there. If not, any ideas where to find one?

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: SagginBags23 on May 24, 2021, 10:34:17 PM ---All great advice. I'll take a mirror and see if the original nutsert is there. If not, any ideas where to find one?

--- End quote ---

The original threaded part is not a nutsert.  It's just an insert held in by an e-clip.  A nutsert would need a bigger hole and a kind of overgrown pop rivet tool.  It would expand out into the hole and get crimped into place that way.  You're on the right track though. Look to see what's there to begin with. If the original insert is there and you can locate a whole above it maybe just use a longer bolt than the normal seat screw if necessary. More than one way to skin a cat or a seat.

SagginBags23:
UPDATE: Got a look under the rear fender. I can see the original hole, but there's no nut insert there. I did, however, find a 1/4-20 nut insert towards the rear of the inner fender and took it off. I'll use that once I make a hole in the outer fender.
Thanks again for all the help. The Harley community is very cool and helpful!

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: SagginBags23 on May 28, 2021, 04:18:41 PM ---UPDATE: Got a look under the rear fender. I can see the original hole, but there's no nut insert there. I did, however, find a 1/4-20 nut insert towards the rear of the inner fender and took it off. I'll use that once I make a hole in the outer fender.
Thanks again for all the help. The Harley community is very cool and helpful!

--- End quote ---

Unless that insert is what you plan to actually use don't jump the gun.  If you're going to install an nutsert they aren't all the same.  Most have knurling but I've seen a few that didn't.  The OD from different manufacturers can vary a little also.  No reason to be in a hurry.  Wait to make the hole until you've got the actual piece you're going to install in to the fender.  Just to be safe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version