Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin' EagleĀ® Road KingĀ®

Blue Smoke -- Uh Oh -- It's FireDood's Fault

(1/3) > >>

Twolanerider:
Not sure how it's Gary's fault. That's a detail to be worked out later.  The Road King had a tiny issue on Valentine's day. 

The weather was GORGEOUS that day. All three bikes got serviced (FXR needed a new battery).  All was right with the world (excepting of course Putin, Ukraine, Chinese mercantilism, the charade of American politics, and the ever declining size of the McDonald's breakfast burrito).

Road King has run flawlessly since it was built.  Engine has been everything I ever asked it to be.  28,000-ish so far.  Until Valentine's Day.  Then instead of giving me a Valentine it gave a huge plume of blue smoke; and the finger.

I was about 25 miles from home and on the way home.  Had been out for an hour or so.  Glanced back in my mirrors to see the trail of smoke.  Lots of smoke.  No loss of power and no noise.  But lots of smoke.  Like when Gary was younger and sat in the park with he special green leaves in the baggy.  Lots of smoke.

When the bike got home it demanded I try to discern the issue.  I told it to go blow itself. So it did, with a leak down test.  Pretty tight up top.  Front cylinder, however, sounded like the Super Bowl halftime show (extra nachos and all) dancing in the oil tank.

Ooops.

It's got Revolution Performance cylinders with their nikasil coating.  Ring broke, coating gave up, who knows?  Fortunately it is Gary's fault so I don't have to feel bad about it though.  That's a plus. And now I've got an excuse to work on the bike! 

Fired00d:
Well damn... sorry to hear/read about the RK's issue(s). However your story telling had me cracking up... it must have been the "Chronic" that got to your bike... maybe it watched the SB halftime show in the garage. :nixweiss::huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: Fired00d on February 16, 2022, 07:55:16 PM ---Well damn... sorry to hear/read about the RK's issue(s). However your story telling had me cracking up... it must have been the "Chronic" that got to your bike... maybe it watched the SB halftime show in the garage. :nixweiss::huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

--- End quote ---

Who knows (yet) and it's all good.  Just want you to know that I appreciate the support Brother :drink: .

Ironhorse:
Did you pull the plugs and run a compression test?

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: Ironhorse on February 16, 2022, 08:32:00 PM ---Did you pull the plugs and run a compression test?

--- End quote ---

The leak down test was the real tell-tale Mark.  Normally sealed up through the valves but way more than normal pressure going past the bottom end.  Also significantly different between the two cylinders.  Whatever Gary did in there he did it pretty good.  Certainly got to give Dood credit for that kind of determination.  Well done. :drink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version