CVO Technical > Intake/Exhaust/ECM

Harley said my ECU is going bad.

(1/1)

2014Harley:
Harley said my ECU is bad. My engine light sometimes goes on and then goes off. My cruise control doesn't engage. My gear selector indicator on my dash doesn't work very often and my Harley has developed a popping sound that it didn't have before. Is there an aftermarket ECU that I can buy instead of the original Harley?

SHRADER:
Did you, or the dealer, check and clean the speedometer sensor on top of the transmission? Sometimes magnetics build up there and cause the signal to be interrupted. When this happens, cruise is affected as would be the gear indicator.

SIKBIRD:
^X2…very easy to pop out and clean off the naturally occurring metal shavings.

Para Bellum:
If the problem is still there after cleaning and checking the speed sensor, ThunderMax makes replacement ECMs.

I would want to make sure it's not the speed sensor or the sensor's wiring before replacing the ECM.  Too often, dealers replace expensive parts first, then do the troubleshooting afterward.

smkymtnboy:

--- Quote from: SHRADER on September 02, 2022, 07:38:00 AM ---Did you, or the dealer, check and clean the speedometer sensor on top of the transmission? Sometimes magnetics build up there and cause the signal to be interrupted. When this happens, cruise is affected as would be the gear indicator.

--- End quote ---
that right there is good info!  i going to bank that one.:2vrolijk_21:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version