CVO Technical > Intake/Exhaust/ECM

Breather catch can

(1/5) > >>

CVO Couple:
Looking to add a catch can to the breather system. After reading the instructions and pictures I’m just wondering if reversing the flow would work better at trapping the moisture/air to hit the baffle with the steel wool after it’s in the can instead of before to lessen the time it’s sitting in the line with the restriction. Looks like it will be an improvement hooked up either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Eye:
Not to sure about your question but was wondering, you said you were adding it to your breather system.

Am I to assume you currently have an external breather with out a catch can?

The reason I ask is because I just added the external breather system to my bikes with no catch cans and was going to wait and see and add them later if needed.

If so, could you share your experience

Thanks
Cat

CVO Couple:
I don’t have either at the moment. Getting oil in the air filter and would rather catch it than vent it to another filter I would have to clean or drip on the ground. No crankcase fumes going into intake either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Eye:
I know of a couple other forum guys that have installed the external breather systems and have routed the hoses up over the throttle body and do not use a catch can and have not had any oil drips. The theory is that gravity will drain the oil back into the motor.

I’m not to sure is that is a good ideal since the umbrella valve is also a check valve which does not allow reverse air flow into the motor. A common way to check the umbrella valve is to connect a hose to the breather bolt and you should be able to suck air out and not be able to blow in.

I been waiting to talk to them to see if they are trapping the oil at the breather bolt cavity which is acting as a catch can.

But then again, the umbrella valve should not let any oil through it and I have always wondered could the oil coming out of the breather be caused by the high suction of the air box sucking the oil out of the motor.  I think this might be the case due to what I have seen captured in the catch cans shown on the internet. It looks more like a brown muck which looks more like condensed oil vapor rather oil droplets.

and my pondering continues  :nixweiss:

KGB:
On my street glide I ran mine down from the air filter plate and open to the ground, I kept on eye on it and never noticed any oil dripping, back in the 70's Honda ran them open, then in the eighties they had a plug and when you serviced the bike you always removed the plug to drain it, a lot of crud would drain out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version