Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Springer®

09 Springer tail light hard to see

(1/3) > >>

GLKSpringer:
I recently purchased a 2009 cvo springer.  The individual i purchased it from said his riding buddies let him know the brake lights were not too visible due to the stock blacked out lens.  My riding buddies told me the same after my first ride out with them.   Hs anyone experienced this / found a solution?  I have been unsuccessful in locating a clear or red lens cover in the aftermarket arena.

Joel:
Did you remove the lens to see how bright the light is ?
Maybe the wrong bulb is in it, maybe someone spray painted the inside of the lens, maybe A bad ground.

gmeikle:
That's an LED light from the factory I am 100%sure

On my 2008 CVO Springer the unit has failed twice thru broken solder joints.

It's not meant to be user serviceable but I opened mine up cutting the seal with a box cutter knife , redid the breaks I could see , and reseaaling it with car windscreen sealer goo. Hold it together with a coupla elastic bands until the "rubber' sealer sets then snip off the elastic bands.

So sorry there are no "bulbs" to change or check

GLKSpringer:
Thanks gmeikle.  You are correct.  It is a sealed unit.  To clarify -- and address Joel's response -- the LEDs in the cluster are all working and bright.  The issue is the lens.  Turn signals on the 09 in Candy Cobalt are smoked.  The tail light lens is a blacked out lens.  The difference being smoked sense are clear with a smoky tint but they are still clear to see through.  A blacked out is more of an opaque lens.  This makes it more difficult to see the LEDs.  I was recently at Americade in Lake George, NY a couple weeks ago.  As I was leaving a rider was pulling in with my exact bike.  We got to talking and I mentioned the tail light being hard to see.  We looked on his and it was the same.  Those tail light lenses on the 09 are black outs.  I was at my local dealer yesterday.  They had a drag specialties Led brake light assembly that sticks on underneath the fender.  It is meant for breakouts.  Looks like it would fit but it would mean jettisoning the original.

bad00serg:
As mentioned, these are known to go out, perhaps yours is on the way out and dimming considerably.  I too had to replace mine a few years ago, and it is not dim at all.  I think you need a new one. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version