Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CFR exhaust question?  (Read 1884 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
CFR exhaust question?
« on: December 04, 2016, 01:08:13 AM »

Been trying to figure out what to do about the exhaust on my 17 SG. I upgraded motor to stage 3 117 kit and I have been planning on doing full exhaust when available probably Fullsac. Steve at Fullsac was awesome and did my mufflers for me and though they sound better than stock, just barely. In my other bike i have a 124 and boarzilla exhaust so obviously I love loud pipes. I was worried when I got this bike that I wouldnt be happy with the power even after the stage 3 but today I went for a 325 mile ride and i can't believe how much I enjoyed it and how easy and forgiving it is to ride with its great torque and broad power band.
I am now thinking since I do have my other bike and being in San Diego where there is no good tuner in town and it is a complete PIA to get it done correctly maybe I leave the cat in with the new Harley street tuner they did when they did the stage 3 kit and stick on CFR mufflers which in my opinion have the best sound of any pipe on the planet. My brother in law has CFR's on his 13 CVO Roadglide and we always argue about their terrible performance on his tuned motor but I do think it sounds better than my Boarzilla's.
I am assuming that the CFR's won't really hurt (or help) performance on my SG since I am leaving stock header and cat in?
A buddy of mine had his shop alter his Thunderheader muffler from his totaled 15 and install on his non CVO Limited stock header and though in my opinion it looks terrible (he knows I feel that way..) it does sound good and he said he couldn't tell any difference one way or the other the way it rode.
So bottom line if I decide to not risk my warranty (they definitely can not void a "cat back" muffler with the new Harley tuner) and am just trying to make it sound like I like does this make sense??
Alan

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: CFR exhaust question?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:20:59 AM »

One of my riding buddies put CFRs on his otherwise-stock RGU (not a 2017, of course).  It then had the deep sound that's typical of the CFRs, and was slightly louder than stock---not at all the loudness that comes with a non-cat header (on a different guy's bike with true duals + CFRs).

My guess is the CFRs on your bike won't be nearly as loud as you like, since the cat on the M8 seems to be very restrictive.  As you noted, the new baffle barely increased the sound level, and others have reported the same result with other slip-ons.  On the plus side, adding the CFRs shouldn't affect the performance, will probably give the deep bass they are known for, and they might give a little more volume.

And yeah, it's going to take a non-cat header to get the volume you like.  I wonder how a good 2:1 header with one CFR muffler would sound?   8) 
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.