Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: air shock  (Read 1109 times)

joembx

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

air shock
« on: January 02, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »

hi people
on my 06 flhtcuse it feels like the shocks are bottoming out ,i try putting air in them ,with the hd pump,but i think by the time you unscrew the pump off the air valve you lose the air,i check it with a digital gauge no reading,have checked gauge to as low as 5 lbs on bicycle tire ,gauge works,my question is has anyone put a gauge in line and a valve to shut before removing unscrewing the pump from the air valve to capture air
thanks joe

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: air shock
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:03:09 PM »

If you are using the HD pump intended for suspension pressure adjustment it is designed to not bleed the air out when you unscrew the hose.

What pressure do you intend to set it at?

joembx

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »

im thinking 20  23  according to chart,,,,,,mabey im using the pump incorrectly

joembx

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »

I've been playing with this pump for half an hour ,cant be that complicated ,seems to hold air before removing pump but no pressure reading after pump removed ,thanks

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »

Kinda sounds like the fill vavle is not seating which means the air escapes when pump is unscrewed.
FWIW, the whole purpose of the HD pump design is NOT to let out air as it is unscrewed.
Possibly you are losing air through a leak.
Pump up the pressure without removing the pump (so it holds pressure) spray soapy water on all the fittings to see if air is escaping.
It's a simple system but when there is a leak it is unusable.
Bob

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »

one time, I was adding air to my wife's shocks using the hd pump.  I would pump it up until I got to the correct psi reading on the gauge, and then disconnect it.  wife would go for a test ride, and notice no difference.  check it, and see the pressure is low again.  try again.  after a couple times of this nonsense, I noticed that there was a very slight 'pffft' when I would unscrew the pump.  after further investigation, what was happening was that the nut that was holding the schraeder valve on the bracket was not allowing the fitting on the pump to completely seat so it was not depressing the schraeder valve and the psi reading that I was getting was simply a result of the air backing up at the fitting.  I tightened up the nut a touch, and was able to now pressurize the shocks.

couple of things to note, if you aren't using a 'zero loss' pump (like the hd pump) you will lose air pressure.  if your pump doesn't have a gauge on it and you are using a gauge to check pressure, you will lose air pressure every time you check the pressure.  the volume of air is not that great so it doesn't take a lot of loss to make a big difference in the pressure reading.

if you don't have one, get a good zero loss pump.  it doesn't have to be hd, check your local bike shop.  a lot of mountain bikes use them as well.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

joembx

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:32:03 PM »

ok guys  i answered my own question ,i made up a manifold with a snifer valve and gauge ,pumped to 30 lbs on both gauges,un screwed pump from manifold an gauge on manifold stayed at 30 lbs. pump is working and theres air in system,but probaly not enough volume to activate a tire gauge ,,release button on pump is just to adjust down to proper pressure ,then un screw  ,i think im gonna put a gauge on top of shock on right side
thanks everyone,

joembx

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »

can anyone tell me the fitting on top of the shock is it pipe theard
thanks again joe

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 22 queries.