Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Which battery?  (Read 10726 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Which battery?
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »

In the middle of my ride today about 150 miles from home in the middle of the mountains I stopped for lunch at a little place and when i came out and got under way I noticed the battery and engine light on. I rode about 70 miles to a dealer to shut it off in case it wouldn't start back up-which it didn't..
They were very nice and they jumped it and I filled up (yea, with the motor running) and rode to my dealer for a new battery. Mine is about 28 months old with around 22000 miles.
I have a 120r so Im sure that probably had something to do with it wearing out so quickly. I do keep it on a tender. I asked the dealer where I stopped (the parts mgr was working today and he was actually the one that helped jump me) and he said that was common for the stock battery to go out at around my mileage but he thought that would be the case with any battery..
I saw online the Shorai lithium ion replacement which is crazy expensive which I would still do if it was worth it as I don't want to go through what happened today again (ruined the rest of my day/ride).
What do you think?
Alan

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Which battery?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:40:31 AM »

Interstate has a new line of "Power Performance" batterys.
Even the in-tank Softail version will whip over a 124" @ 11.7 cr.
As far as longivity, if those are remotely close to the standard counterparts, enough said.
Scott

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »

I noticed mine too this weekend seemed to need a little help while starting.  I haven't been using a tender on it,, so now I am.  24k miles and it's about 21/2 yrs old.  So I guess a battery will be in my future too.   :-\

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »

ive tried the "woop-de-do" hi-po battery and have found just a HD,stock battery to be best.make sure you've got good cables & keep them clean & tight

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:29 AM »

I'm not sure why a dealership person would say something like "common for the stock battery to go out at around my mileage", since mileage really doesn't have much to do with it.  Perhaps he should have said it's becoming more and more common for the stock batteries to crap out at around three years, even though four to six years used to be the norm. 

Before you just assume the battery is the culprit you need to check out the charging system, as well as the basics like loose connections.  Something about how you were able to start the bike (which is pure battery power), but the battery and check engine lights were on tells me you might have something other than just a bad battery.  If the charging system isn't working the bike will keep running on battery power for awhile, but as in your example it won't last very long.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »

We use Deka they make the HD battery.  For a bagger the Deka has a higher CCA than the stock HD version. Either way they tend to last the longest. 
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »

WPX30L-LS 30ah 600cca Battery replaces Deka ETX30L
One bad ass battery and cheaper than a Harley OEM.
The Battery Giant store near me gave me a veterans discount of 10%

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »

Interstate has a new line of "Power Performance" batterys.
Even the in-tank Softail version will whip over a 124" @ 11.7 cr.
As far as longivity, if those are remotely close to the standard counterparts, enough said.
Scott

OE HD's bagger batterys are rated at 400 cca, as are Deka also.
Interstates Cycle-Tron are 400, Parts Unlimited are 385, and Tucker-Rocky brings up the rear at 310.
The new line of High-Perf Interstates are 500 cca, and as per the Syracuse, NY Interstate distributor, that is underated, as he said he has tested them at his facility north of 600.
Lot of phoney battery claims out there, these are not one of those.
200,000 dealers across North America can't be wrong. ;D
Scott

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »

I have found a lot of electrical problems are atributed to a bad ground

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:51:35 AM »

WPX30L-LS 30ah 600cca Battery replaces Deka ETX30L
One bad ass battery and cheaper than a Harley OEM.
The Battery Giant store near me gave me a veterans discount of 10%

I contacted the Lightning Start battery folks some time back to ask some questions about that claimed 600 CCA battery, and the only honest answer I got to my questions was about the origin of the battery (China).  As for the ratings and exactly how they were achieved, I got nothing but BS non-responses.  I'll be interested to see how they perform in the real world, as opposed to the advertising world.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »

I have found a lot of electrical problems are atributed to a bad ground

Yep.
Always start at the battery when chasing electrical issues.
Scott

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »

I have a 120r so Im sure that probably had something to do with it wearing out so quickly. I do keep it on a tender.

I saw online the Shorai lithium ion

Does the 120r have compression releases?  Battery tech has come a long way.  I usually see 5-6 out of the HD branded battery if I keep them on a tender.  But battery tech is not up to the lithium ion or others yet.  Don't waste the money..... yet.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 01:43:09 AM »

Does the 120r have compression releases?  Battery tech has come a long way.  I usually see 5-6 out of the HD branded battery if I keep them on a tender.  But battery tech is not up to the lithium ion or others yet.  Don't waste the money..... yet.
Yes, automatic compression releases
Alan

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »

Only 2 years on one of those large group 30 battery's, is premature failure.
Sure you don't have a draw on it from somewhere?
Scott

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »

I put an Odyssey battery in my Street Glide, and so far is a fantastic battery.  Even after 3 weeks of sitting the voltage doesn't drop enough during starting the bike for the radio to cycle. 
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

We used to see beaucoup' problems with that battery in the Titans, Big Dogs, AIH, etc.
Must be they've changed things.
Scott

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

Biggest problem with an odyssey is they take about twice the miles to get a good charge.  This does not work on the cookie cutters and real TT bikes.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 12:31:53 AM »

Scott
They are checking that tomorrow
Alan

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »

CCA is based on  temps and there is no real STD for the test, some company's use the same temps others do not.  Warranty time frame. Deka is 1 year free replacement. That one I can tell you the Deka is 400  HD site states 365 and interstate is 385. At least that is the info the interstate rep just gave us.  I do not think the CCA is a make or break deal. Warranty on some are 6 months others are a year.  Just do your home work first.  If we had not been set up with Deka for some many years I would think I might have gone with interstate. Had good luck with them in the past , Have seen the  private label versions ( agm midwest drag etc) not last. Good luck .. I would have a shop test the charging system with a quality testor that can check the true amp reading, real load test and diodes in the reg as well. We use a Sun VAT 45.  Something along those line to give you a base line. Grounds are always the first place to look. Check the stator reg plug as well for any oil.

Steve that battery you bought looks like a deka case?? Any idea what temp the 600 CCA was tested at?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »

CCA is based on  temps and there is no real STD for the test, some company's use the same temps others do not.  Warranty time frame. Deka is 1 year free replacement. That one I can tell you the Deka is 400  HD site states 365 and interstate is 385. At least that is the info the interstate rep just gave us.  I do not think the CCA is a make or break deal. Warranty on some are 6 months others are a year.  Just do your home work first.  If we had not been set up with Deka for some many years I would think I might have gone with interstate. Had good luck with them in the past , Have seen the  private label versions ( agm midwest drag etc) not last. Good luck .. I would have a shop test the charging system with a quality testor that can check the true amp reading, real load test and diodes in the reg as well. We use a Sun VAT 45.  Something along those line to give you a base line. Grounds are always the first place to look. Check the stator reg plug as well for any oil.

Steve that battery you bought looks like a deka case?? Any idea what temp the 600 CCA was tested at?

There actually are real standards for CCA Steve, but you are correct in that some companies play fast and loose with the numbers they advertise.  For instance, those folks at Odyssey like to use CA instead of CCA, or better yet their own invention they call pulse cranking amps, which just involves the amps for the first couple seconds, not the 30 seconds in the actual test specifications. 

The real industry standard is CCA (cold cranking amps), and it has been for a long time.  Any company in this day and age still using CA ratings is obviously trying to mislead consumers, and I won't do business with those kind of people.  I consider them in the same class as the folks selling $25 spark plugs that do nothing but lighten people's wallets.

CCA - the number of amps the battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds without dropping below 7.2 volts.
CA -  the number of amps the battery can deliver at 32°F.
HCA - the number of amps the battery can deliver at 80°F (this one hasn't been used for as long as I can remember).

Sadly there are more scam artists these days than legitimate and ethical folks, at least it sure seems that way.  Anytime the typical rating for a particular size battery is xxx CCA, and someone comes along and suddenly claims xxx plus 200 CCA for the exact same case size and chemistry, the red flags should start flying and the bells start ringing in your brain.

Jerry

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »

Scott
you were right, bad regulator..
Alan

JohnCA58

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:40 PM »

I just replaced my battery on the 120 bike last Monday.  it was a Deka AGM 400 cca battery and only 2 years old,  this was replaced with a Yuasa AGM battery with 500 cca,  you could tell the difference right away with the weight of the batteries between the two because the Yuasa has bigger plates in the same size battery.  so far with the Yuasa I get instant starts.

research also told me Yuasa is american made battery.  :)

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 02:42:30 PM »

Has black case. This battery is made and/or distributed by PowerSource. So far it is doing a great job. Been in the bike about 2 months and I have never used the Battery tender. Never seems to lack for cranking power. No clue on how it was tested.
For $109 out the door I had to take a chance on it.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »

All I know is when our clients are in need of a killer battery from now on, after dealing with motorcycle batterys/charging systems for almost 30 years, I KNOW where to reach.
No pony in the race, nothing to gain by sharing this info............. :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »

Has black case. This battery is made and/or distributed by PowerSource. So far it is doing a great job. Been in the bike about 2 months and I have never used the Battery tender. Never seems to lack for cranking power. No clue on how it was tested.
For $109 out the door I had to take a chance on it.

I'm pretty sure the battery you're talking about is the same one I mentioned earlier, the Lightning Start by Power Source.  It's made in China, and the US distributor and retailer couldn't come up with a straight answer when I asked about that 600 amp rating other than to say that was what the manufacturer claimed.  Since the Chinese would never lie about any product they export to us, I'm assuming the rating must be good, right? ;)

I'll be interested in hearing how this battery holds up and performs over time.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jerry

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »

All I know is when our clients are in need of a killer battery from now on, after dealing with motorcycle batterys/charging systems for almost 30 years, I KNOW where to reach.
No pony in the race, nothing to gain by sharing this info............. :)

The guys that really know and don't want to post up.  Don't post up about knowing and how they wont post.  They just don't. 

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »

you were right, bad regulator..

At least it's an easy and quick fix!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 01:40:18 AM »

At least it's an easy and quick fix!
Yep, back on the road today in time for a great weekend!
Alan

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 07:02:52 AM »

In my years of riding,and several types of Harleys , I have tried multiple batteries and none have held up to the H-D battery. I have got approx. 6-7 years from everyone (using tender) and 1-3 from "X" brands. I was also told a few years ago from an HD tech that interstate was the manufacturer of the HD batteries. Just my 2-cents.
In the middle of my ride today about 150 miles from home in the middle of the mountains I stopped for lunch at a little place and when i came out and got under way I noticed the battery and engine light on. I rode about 70 miles to a dealer to shut it off in case it wouldn't start back up-which it didn't..
They were very nice and they jumped it and I filled up (yea, with the motor running) and rode to my dealer for a new battery. Mine is about 28 months old with around 22000 miles.
I have a 120r so Im sure that probably had something to do with it wearing out so quickly. I do keep it on a tender. I asked the dealer where I stopped (the parts mgr was working today and he was actually the one that helped jump me) and he said that was common for the stock battery to go out at around my mileage but he thought that would be the case with any battery..
I saw online the Shorai lithium ion replacement which is crazy expensive which I would still do if it was worth it as I don't want to go through what happened today again (ruined the rest of my day/ride).
What do you think?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »

I was also told a few years ago from an HD tech that interstate was the manufacturer of the HD batteries. Just my 2-cents.

You really shouldn't blindly believe what the typical Harley dealership employee says.  Interstate is just a brand name, not a manufacturer.  For instance, Johnson Controls actually manufactures the Interstate branded automotive batteries, along with a gazillion other brand names.  If you can ever finagle an actual tour of one of their plants you will see many different names and labels being applied to the batteries as they roll down the conveyor lines.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:08:29 AM by grc »

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »

Whatever-just sayin' that the 7 Harleys I have had,the life of them was 6-7 years . Do not care who makes them-just go from experience.
You really shouldn't blindly believe what the typical Harley dealership employee says.  Interstate is just a brand name, not a manufacturer.  For instance, Johnson Controls actually manufactures the Interstate branded automotive batteries, along with a gazillion other brand names.  If you can ever finagle an actual tour of one of their plants you will see many different names and labels being applied to the batteries as they roll down the conveyor lines.

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »

Whatever-just sayin' that the 7 Harleys I have had,the life of them was 6-7 years . Do not care who makes them-just go from experience.

That was my experience as well up until recently, 5-6 years.  The last two from Harley have done much worse, one suffering a complete internal failure after two years, and the next becoming weak enough to be replaced after about 2.5 years.  Based on my results plus all the reports I've been reading over the past couple years, I think the "average" battery life of the Harley battery has been in an inverse relationship to the price they charge.  The price goes up significantly, and the quality goes down.  It's a great way to make more money if you have loyal customers who just keep coming back regardless.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:31:44 PM by grc »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 07:09:38 AM »

The guys that really know and don't want to post up.  Don't post up about knowing and how they wont post.  They just don't.

I don't pretend to understand that...........???

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »

My 07 Road Glide went from delivery in Sept 06 to the spring of 2013 on the OEM battery.
Pretty much every new H-D I've ever bought has been the same. I don't pretend to know all these fancy scientific theories about which battery has less or more of this or that, I am just going on experience. Right now the RG has a battery from a local shop called Ed's Batteries. No idea what the brand is as I think it's a generic. I've had good lukc with Ed's in my boats so being about 1/2 the cost of an OEM I went with Ed's. I know people that love Ed's and people that hate them. Again, no scientific theories from me.

Batteries in general. During a lifetime (60yrs old) of having things that needed batteries to make starters start the motor two stand out. A Diehard battery in a John Deere that is 10 yrs old and going strong. And a cheap $49 WalMart battery my daughter bought for her 93 Explorer in 2006 that is still in the vehicle and starts right up every spring after sitting in a barn in Maine all winter untended. Go figure.

That's all I got

B B

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »

I've had great luck with the HD batteries.  2006 Street Glide, I just replaced with the DEKA after research.  I thought it sounded like it was going to give it up, so I replaced it before getting stuck.  $100 delivered from Amazon.  You can't beat that.
My 2000 Deuce battery lasted over 10 years, the FXR4 lasted 12 years.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »

6 years on an interstate battery, the stock hd battery on my 2012 died after one year they replaced it under warranty.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 06:12:49 PM »

I've heard that the recent HD batteries are not as good as they were , so I went another route, albeit maybe the same source only cheaper.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 11:12:53 PM »

My Custom Fatboy (std twin cam) battery has died after 8 years, always left on the battery tender.
Now its time for a replacement, I have been told a genuine HD battery has 315 CCA. I can get a non genuine (Super Charge) battery locally with 440 CCA.
Would the extra CCA effect anything electronic or mechanical?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »

This post is like two years old. So in that time many things have changed. I have since switched over the the Twin power Lithium Ion batterys.

Last longer, weigh less. In a bagger the battery can be a mother to get out. many times the silly strap is broke and the tool to pull them are a bit large to get onto the battery.

High CCA will spin over the largest engine with ease. The bagger version is putting out 625 CCA yes that is not a typo . They have used these batter to start cars with.
Price is the offset but two years on avg for a battery from HD or Deka . they work sure . your choice on cost and replacement times

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 05:54:12 PM »

I can get a non genuine (Super Charge) battery locally with 440 CCA.
Would the extra CCA effect anything electronic or mechanical?
The extra CCA will not cause any problems since the starter just draws the amount of current it needs.  Don't know if the Australian battery manufacturers use the same standards as here in the States (but not all manufacturers in US adhere to the standards anyway), so make sure they're using the same standards as the big-name makers and they're comparing the same size battery--at some point, making more CCAs requires a larger battery.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »

This post is like two years old. So in that time many things have changed. I have since switched over the the Twin power Lithium Ion batterys.

Last longer, weigh less. In a bagger the battery can be a mother to get out. many times the silly strap is broke and the tool to pull them are a bit large to get onto the battery.

High CCA will spin over the largest engine with ease. The bagger version is putting out 625 CCA yes that is not a typo . They have used these batter to start cars with.
Price is the offset but two years on avg for a battery from HD or Deka . they work sure . your choice on cost and replacement times
As I have posted before I got a Antigravity LI battery a couple of years ago for my 124 and I still love it. Turns the motor over insanely fast making it start like a Honda. As soon as I need to replace the stock battery on my new bike (which unfortunately won't take long) I will be putting a LI battery in.
Alan

HarleyStud

Best cold cranking amp Battery
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 04:03:38 AM »

I ride year round in Iowa and I had to go back to work after my '15 C.V.O. Ultra Limited didn't start in 12* temperature, the guard let me plug in my trickle charger.  After letting it charge for a few hours I went back and it started right up.  I always hook it up to the charger after I get back home.  Suppose to be below zero temps next week and want to ride and not be stranded.  I'm thinking I want the best battery with the most cold cranking amps that is compatible with my bike. What are your recommendation? Thanks,  Chris

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »

A word of caution on these lithium batteries. When they fail, you are DONE. Stranded. Stuck. Fd over.

The vibrations do it in, and the bike will 'cut out' hitting bumps and that is your warning. I stopped at a dealer after the cutting out issue on bumps and the bike threw no codes whatsoever. A day later stopped for gas - click click click nothing. So I jumped the bike and as soon as the cables came off, it shut off. Of course it went bad with no HD for a day in any direction in the bustling metropolis of Mattice, Ontario so I wound up having to get a lawnmower battery and had to jump it every gas stop for two days until Montreal.

It is a good thing they weigh so much less because when they screw you over, you can throw them pretty far....

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: Best cold cranking amp Battery
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »

Sounds like you should also put on a block heater.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »

A word of caution on these lithium batteries. When they fail, you are DONE. Stranded. Stuck. Fd over.

The vibrations do it in, and the bike will 'cut out' hitting bumps and that is your warning. I stopped at a dealer after the cutting out issue on bumps and the bike threw no codes whatsoever. A day later stopped for gas - click click click nothing. So I jumped the bike and as soon as the cables came off, it shut off. Of course it went bad with no HD for a day in any direction in the bustling metropolis of Mattice, Ontario so I wound up having to get a lawnmower battery and had to jump it every gas stop for two days until Montreal.

It is a good thing they weigh so much less because when they screw you over, you can throw them pretty far....
Last year a friend bought a Battery Tender brand LI battery.  Raved about how great it was and how fast it spun the motor for a quick start.  And it was and it did for a couple months then it just died like yours.  BT did replace it but I'm thinking these LI vehicle batteries are not quite ready for prime time.  I'll stick with the old AGM battery for a while.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2016, 07:26:53 PM »

Harley batteries used to be good but no longer. Many are reporting failure after 2 years. Mine lasted 2.5 years, and now HD batteries are $185.00. I got a Yuasa, 100 more cranking amps than the Deka/HD, better warranty and cost $140.00
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 21 queries.