Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rough idle backfiring and extremely HOT!  (Read 3396 times)

AsylumofSpeed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

Rough idle backfiring and extremely HOT!
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:46:27 AM »

Hello, I’ve came across something yesterday that has me baffled? My brothers bike 2005 Electra Glide. He said it was idling rough and backfiring out the throttle body and exhaust. Well when I went over to take a look at it he was right. I cleaned the sensors and inside the throttle body (dirty). Pulled the plugs and noticed a oily residue on the plugs. This is what’s got me worried though. When we started it up after the cleaning it got hot just 1 maybe 2 minutes after it started. I’m taking could feel heat radiating off it after a minute in 62 degree weather. I would imagine within 5 minutes the exhaust would’ve been cherry red.  I know his bike has ran a lot warmer than mine since we’ve got them. Im going to check fuel pressure. Any advice or if anyone has ever ran across this would be very helpful. The only thing done to the bike is a 2 into 1 exhaust that’s been on it for years.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Rough idle backfiring and extremely HOT!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 04:24:30 AM »

Possibility bad plug/s air body intake leak, injector malfunction, valve/ lifter sticking. I'd start with air leak and plugs.

I had once the same thing miss firing the odd time back fire thru the air body and exhaust,...changed the plugs cleared the issue

AsylumofSpeed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 06:59:56 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: changed the plugs, wires and coil after I seen the oily carbon on the plugs. I know a leak in the throttle body would make one backfire so I’ll check that for sure. I wonder what is making it get so intensely hot? You can start this bike completely cold and within a minute it feels like it’s been on a hour long parade in 100 degree heat.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »

If you have an intake air leak, it makes the bike run lean.  Running lean causes lousy idle and running hot, among other things.  Make sure you check for air leaks at the manifold to head joints as well as the throttle body to manifold, and don't forget to make sure the rubber cap is still installed on the vacuum tube on top of the throttle body.  Those have been known to blow off during backfires, and will create a large air leak.  If all is well in the air leak category, time to do some in-depth diagnostics.  Start by checking the diagnostic trouble codes stored in the ECM.  There are instructions on the site detailing how you can do that without a scan tool, using just the bike and odometer screen.

Jerry

Edit:  Click on the attached pdf for instructions on accessing the DTC's.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:01:23 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »

Fuel pressure......2005, and 2006 were notorious for rubbing a hole into the fuel line in the tank. Loss of pressure will make the bike run lean, that will make it heat up. If you take the gas cap off, turn on the ignition, you will here gas squirting as the pump pressures up if there is a hole in the line. If the gas tank is full the squirting will be muffled.
Doc

Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:54:57 PM »

so,  i just thought i would throw this out there  ....   my 04 SEEG has had ALL the issues at one time or another ...  I had similar to what was described and it turned out to be a busted throttle body butterfly shaft...   I just happened to still have it from 6 years ago ... hahaha  and the bike is long gone ...   this can only be seen i you remove the Throttle body or throttle position sensor and tug on the shaft ....   it causes the Throttle position sensor to be inaccurate ,  runs good sometimes , while other times not so good ...notice it breaks right where the screw goes through the shaft

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:00:56 AM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

AsylumofSpeed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 01:27:31 AM »

WoW now that’s something I wouldn’t had considered.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »

How many miles on the bike?
After you  check for vacuum leaks, cleaned the Throttle body, new plugs and wires.
Thinking it is a lean condition.  Remember fuel volume.  The fuel pressure may be in specs but if the filter is restricted than fuel volume is decreased, leading to a lean condition.
I had a 03 RKC  that had similar conditions.  I ask a few shops what could be  causing it.
After checking everything along with looking for exhaust leaks I removed the filter and even though everyone said they had never changed one, mine was restricted.
Start ups were quicker,  regained lost power, cooler running engine and eliminated the back fire on deceleration.
Just my experience.
It you do the filter  change the  convoluted fuel lines also , they do split.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

AsylumofSpeed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 11:07:12 PM »

I ordered the exhaust and intake gaskets yesterday. Both had leaks. Tried to pull the codes but the trip button won’t cycle so I ordered one of those today. I think the mileage is around 60k. I’ll know more in a couple of days when the stuff comes in.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »

I ordered the exhaust and intake gaskets yesterday. Both had leaks. Tried to pull the codes but the trip button won’t cycle so I ordered one of those today. I think the mileage is around 60k. I’ll know more in a couple of days when the stuff comes in.

If you don't know the service history of the bike, you may want to assume it's way past time for a fuel filter change.  That requires removing the fuel pump and gauge sender unit from the tank, at that time you would also want to do what Doc mentioned and check/replace any hoses.  As he said, it was common back in those days for the stock fuel lines in the tank to rub and eventually leak, thus reducing fuel pressure to the injectors which automatically translates to a lean mixture in the cylinders.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »

I see that several people have suggested that you check your fuel filter and the line inside the tank which has been known to rub holes and cause pressure to drop in the fuel line.    Mine also had that issue so i purchased  that little tool in the attached photo to check fuel pressure and leak down. If the gauge leaks down then you most assuredly have holes on the line inside the tank.

It’s a great tool to have for anybody that wrenches on Harley’s ha!

Photo shows Filter, inside the tank fuel line, pressure test tool

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:37:40 PM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

AsylumofSpeed

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 12:48:02 AM »

I'm know I’m  been awhile since this post was initiated. Finally got over to pressure check the bike and low and behold very little fuel pressure. Removed the pump assembly out of the tank and the fuel pressure regulator housing was cracked on the ear. This allowed the housing to raise up and the O ring bulged out. We ordered a kit with new housing, regulator, pump, plastic lines, filters and  the whole nine yards. It came in today and installed it this afternoon and it runs like new again. I appreciate the help. Love this site.

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 05:29:54 AM »

Cool!

Thanks for the update.   :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 25 queries.