Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone withHarley led headlamp?  (Read 1833 times)

zakklp70

Anyone withHarley led headlamp?
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »

Just looking for some input on these headlights before my new CVO SG arrives later this month. Are they worth the money?   :nixweiss:  Was also thinking about the aux light kit and led's too. Thanks guys :nixweiss:

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
Re: Anyone withHarley led headlamp?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »

Do a search on the forum and you'll find several threads on these. They are pricey but I thought they were worth it by the amount of extra light.

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »

I have the black one on my 11 Krypto.  I get many looks and complements about the light.  One thing you have to keep in mind is the light is very bright, projects very very far BUT  the beam is flat.  Its not like the conventional bulb that has a cone shaped beam.  What I have noticed about the flat beam is it doesn't light up a highway sign on the side of the road like a traditional bulb until you are almost to close to to see it.  I love the LED and wouldn't go back, but it does have some issues.  Cost, replacement if it craps out verses a bulb replacement on a conventional light.  JMO

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:33:18 AM »

The stock headlight on the SG is horrible.  I've been looking at the Harley 7" LED and the Kuryakyn LED.  Has anyone used these (thanks for the post, Wayne D), and does anyone know of any alternatives?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but since aux lights were mentioned, what do people think of aux lights and driving lights?  Do they help, or are they mostly for looks?

NorEaster

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2 Nebula Yellow / Cobalt Blue
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »

I have the HD LED headlamp on my 2012 SG and love how it looks on the bike.  Along with the Visor Style Headlamp Trim Ring I installed at the same time.  But due to receiving delivery of the new SG at the end of the riding season up here in NH, and only getting the LED headlamp installed the morning I took it down to put into winter storage, I can only comment on the looks at this point.  Well that and the cost. :(

As far as the cost goes, you can save $95.00 if you purchase it online from one of the many dealers that offer a 20% discount.  Which is what I did.  But it is still $430.00, even with the discount and free delivery.

But installation is simple.  Just unplug the stock CVO headlamp, remove the special harness needed for the CVO headlamp, and connect up the new LED headlamp.  The mounting hardware that comes with the LED headlamp is the same as the hardware that mounts the stock CVO headlamp so you do not need to worry about changing that.  It's just a simple headlamp change.  Of course this does not include the alignment, which seems just as simple, but I have yet to do.  ;D

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »

Had them on my 2010.  Rumor has it that they may introduce them for the Road Glide this spring......and I will buy them again!  I thought they were awesome.  They were very functional at both night time and day time riding.  Friends would say even during the daylight they made the bike very obvious.  I would say from experience +++++ not cheap but +++++
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »

The stock headlight on the SG is horrible.  I've been looking at the Harley 7" LED and the Kuryakyn LED.  Has anyone used these (thanks for the post, Wayne D), and does anyone know of any alternatives?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but since aux lights were mentioned, what do people think of aux lights and driving lights?  Do they help, or are they mostly for looks?

When you say aux lights, if you're talking about the Harley passing lamps then I say yes, they help both in adding more visibility for the rider as well as making the bike much more obvious to those who might turn in front of you at intersections.  You can see that for yourself when you're out riding.  When a Harley with the spots on is coming toward you, even in bright daylight, the bike is much more visible than a bike with a single headlight.  I never turn mine off.

As for some of the other stuff on the market, like the driving lights attached to the brake calipers or lower fork legs, those are mostly an irritant to anyone on the highway traveling toward you.  The lights are rarely aimed properly, so they shine up into the eyes of oncoming drivers, and they bounce all over with every movement of the suspension.  They remind me of an old clapped out car with rusted out fenders so the headlight is just flopping in the breeze.  If you like irritating and possibly blinding the guy driving toward you in a two ton vehicle, go ahead.  If he runs you down, I guess that's the price to be paid for being cool and trendy.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »

Rumor has it that they may introduce them for the Road Glide this spring.....

Source?   I'd be interested.  Something some guy just said or suggestion from someone other than a weenie at a dealership?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »

Yeah.  I'd be all over that.  Black ones, especially.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »

Source?   I'd be interested.  Something some guy just said or suggestion from someone other than a weenie at a dealership?

I was told they would be introduced at the upcoming dealer meeting this spring?  I spoke with a parts manager at a fairly large dealership and that's what he had said.  I confirmed it by tracking down the company that makes them for Harley...can't remember their name but I think I found the manufacturers info from this site?  Anyway, no guarantees, but I know I will be keeping a close watch if they are released?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »

I was told they would be introduced at the upcoming dealer meeting this spring?  I spoke with a parts manager at a fairly large dealership and that's what he had said.  I confirmed it by tracking down the company that makes them for Harley...can't remember their name but I think I found the manufacturers info from this site?  Anyway, no guarantees, but I know I will be keeping a close watch if they are released?

Hope that pans out.  The Silverstar bulbs in the European version of the reflector actually do a great job on my old bike.  But I'd still be very interested in the performance of an LED version.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »

I'm sure someone from this blog will be the 2nd to know if in fact they produce them for the RG, news will travel fast!  Meanwhile, I'm going to see if I could find the thread that mentioned the company that manufactures those for HD.  I know it's here somewhere cuz I went to their site and inquired about the lamp for the RG. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:25:51 PM by Rio »
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »

I have the LED headlamp on the 11 Krypto and love it, I also put the moto lights on the calipers with the high output halogen.   I am now toying with the idea of the passing lamps, but I really like the clean look of the fairing without them.  

Also for those interested in this, Moto Lights has fixed their higher output LED bulbs.   I spoke with Dan Thomas beginning of the week.   He recommended to me though to stay with the high output Halogens for riding at night vs. the new LED's.

Attaching the Comparing doc he sent me.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

tequillaCVO2010

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »

I installed the chrome LED on my 2010 SESG and love it!  It took me a while to get used to the different LED lighting, (flat beam) vs. the halogen lighting, (cone beam).  The light does get plenty of double take looks along with the compliments... 

2010 FLHXSE TEQUILLA SUNRISE

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.