Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pan America & BMW GS Comparison  (Read 4754 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Pan America & BMW GS Comparison
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »

I really am enjoying my Pan America Special.  I have had it 6 days now, have just over 700 miles on it.  I find the suspension is very good, much better than my CVO or my Fatboy.  Throttle response is Great in sport mode.  Rain mode, response is very slow.  I do need the taller risers and have them on order. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 04:05:53 PM »

HD did the same dumb ass thing with the PA as they did with the Vrod...they tuned it to be 5-9k engine. Great motor that has crappy low end torque.  Spin the motor up and hang on, as it really pulls well up high. But then I don't ride like that and it's a shame the engineers didn't figure it out the first time. Great engine/bike that needs to be sorted out in future variations.  Don't even ask about the stupidly short and tiny gear shift lever that I had to shift with my heel rather than toe because of the location. Like I said,great first attempt but it sure as hell is not as good of a bike as the BMW GSA!!  YMMV!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 07:30:54 AM »

Isn't the BMG GSA a high reving engine, Peak HP and 7750.  Peak torque at 7550.  I'm not seeing low end torque with this bike either.

Seems the Adventure bike are high Reving motors.  Seems to make sense PA would be similar and high reving

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 10:18:06 AM »

Not really.  The variable valve timing on the GSA gives it decent low end torque. It's an easy bike to ride without hitting high RPM. Could be the gearing differences. It would be interesting to see what a sprocket change would bring to the PA.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 06:41:33 AM »

Not really.  The variable valve timing on the GSA gives it decent low end torque. It's an easy bike to ride without hitting high RPM. Could be the gearing differences. It would be interesting to see what a sprocket change would bring to the PA.
Just like the GSA, the PAS has variable valve timing.  It also has dual over head cam shafts.  I have not found the PAS to be lacking in torque unless below 2000 RPM, but does much better 3000 and up.  I have just over 2000 miles on mine in 3 weeks, of which I was in FL 5 days on my road glide.

More I ride this bike the more I like it.

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »

Glad your enjoying your PA. It is a good bike.That said it just didn't work for me for a number of reasons. I await delivery of my 2022 triple black GSA!⁷

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »

I recently did a comparison of a few of these bikes.  Here is how it went down.

First, I was very excited to see and read about the details of he new HD.  I was optimistic when I read the early peeks, and fairly excited when I read the details and pricing when it was fully released.  I had some plans that led to me riding the Iron Butt Rally in June/July, so I planned to NOT make any moves until I retuned from UT.  There was an added bonus to that; there was a PAS in the IBR, so I thought that would give good feedback on how it might survive the riding I would throw at it.  The bike did well, finished intact and, even though it was a DNF, was well reviewed by its rider.

In July, I took a day and went shopping.  I test rode a R1250GS, and Africa Twin and a PAS, all 2021 models with less than 10 miles on the clock.  I will tell you now, there wasn't a slouch in the lot.  They all rode well, and had plenty of power on tap.

Let me start with the AT.  It was the model with the smaller tank, and normal clutch.  I really only considered it because of the DCT option.  After riding it, I knew it was not going to be the bike for me.  I'm a big guy (6'1"/320) and I plan to ride big miles, day after day.  The only reason I'm looking at ADV bikes instead of Sport Touring is because some of my adventures end up on questionable roads and detours. 

I rode the GS first.  It was a brand new model, and they didn't have a GSA prepped for riding.  That bike rode great.  I was impressed and had them put together some pricing options for me.  The only downside for me was that it was not a HD and I like the VTwin engine configuration.  I rode the BMW first, assuming that I would like the PA and not follow through with the GS if I didn't leave it for last.

My last ride of the day was the PA special.  This was a great bike.  Tons of power and breaks.  Suspension felt great too.  My only concern with riding it was wind protection.  I didn't like how little fairing/windshield there was up there especially compared to the GS. 

In the end, I liked all of the bikes.  If I wanted something to do a lot of trail riding on, I'd pick the Africa Twin.  If I was buying a bike to trailer to a nice riding area, the PA would have been a nice option.

I ended up finding a 2018 R1200GSA on the used market for about $9K less than the PA or GSA were quoted new (with panniers, etc.)  The GSA has these advantages that I considered valuable to me:
  • Bigger fuel tank (more fuel and better weather protection)
  • Shaft Drive (not a big difference for me, but a chain can be a pain (yes, the FD are known to fail on occasion too))
  • More weather protection and aftermarket options to improve it
  • Used market availability.  This is something that will just take some time for the HD.  This was an additional bike, so budget was a little more of a concern for me.

I find that I enjoy the speed shifter on the GSA more than I thought I would, and I don't use the adjustable windshield or ride modes much once they are set.

My next ADV might be a Pan America, especially if they introduce one that addresses some of those factors.  I also may find that I should have bought a Sport Touring bike like a R1200RT  or FJR.  If they (HD) introduce something in that segment, it would be included in my research, but that is largely speculation on so many levels it ain't funny.  For now, I've been riding the wheels off the GSA, and the FLHTK just sits there waiting for some attention.
Big Lew
IBA #595
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.