Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Painting enclosed trailer walls  (Read 3141 times)

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Painting enclosed trailer walls
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:21:52 AM »

So, I bought an enclosed trailer. Before I install the rubber diamond plate flooring, I want to paint the plywood walls. Figure I should prime before painting. Kilz? Which one? I plan on using white high gloss paint. Want to brighten up as much as possible. What kind of paint? Too many options out there. Oil, latex, acrylic, blends,,,,,,
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
Re: Painting enclosed trailer walls
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »

So, I bought an enclosed trailer. Before I install the rubber diamond plate flooring, I want to paint the plywood walls. Figure I should prime before painting. Kilz? Which one? I plan on using white high gloss paint. Want to brighten up as much as possible. What kind of paint? Too many options out there. Oil, latex, acrylic, blends,,,,,,

I did my old trailer about 5 years ago with white gloss latex, which now belongs to a friend, still looks new!! He lives in Alabama, very humid, if that helps.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »

I would use Latex Primer (NOT KILZ) and then Best Latex finish you can find. I passed on the latex Primer in my last trailer and used Porter Paint Company Sand & Seal. Ran over the sand and seal with a gray scuff pad the next day, wiped down with damp rag then used a automotive tac rag. Painted around edges and corners first with Porter Exterior Latex Gloss White then rolled the remainder with a short nap roller designed for refinishing kitchen cabinets. Looked slick as glass when complete. Wife helped, said never again. Bought current trailer finished inside, alum walls and ceiling.

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »

I stopped by Sherwin Williams today. Guy said oil based is out. No need for it and not right for this application.  Said to use latex primer and showed me his mid grade latex paint. Said there was no reason for the high dollar stuff. Also told me that in Friday they are having a 40% off sale. See ya Friday! :2vrolijk_21:
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »

I bought a new trailer last year and wanted to paint the walls and put the grey bed liner on the floor. My neighbor is a professional painter and he recommended Dura Poxy from Kelly Moore. That's what I used and have been very pleased.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »

I stopped by Sherwin Williams today. Guy said oil based is out. No need for it and not right for this application.  Said to use latex primer and showed me his mid grade latex paint. Said there was no reason for the high dollar stuff. Also told me that in Friday they are having a 40% off sale. See ya Friday! :2vrolijk_21:

This is true. Back in my the day oil base primer was the way to go even under latex. But with  the  modern water based primers there is no need for oil based and the extra work it takes to clean up.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.