Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boogey Lights LED Kit: install tips and review  (Read 5031 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Boogey Lights LED Kit: install tips and review
« on: June 24, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »

I had blue LED lights on my '07 EG several years ago, and we loved 'em, so when we bought the new blue '15 RGU, we decided to go with blue LED lights again.
When all the research was said and done, I chose Boogey Lights, as they have a really comprehensive website including videos on most aspects of the install.
I ordered the Cut 'n Click touring/bagger light kit shown here:  http://www.boogeylights.com/cut-n-click-single-color-touring-bagger-motorcycle-led-light-kit.html       If you ask real nicely, you'll get 10% off and free shipping.  Talk to Brian Butler, as he seemed to know his stuff and was easy to talk to.
My kit came with 135 high intensity lights, 18 of which are in two "pucks" that attach to the inside of your front calipers.
I used the other 117 lights as follows:  3 under the front of the fairing facing the front forks, 12 under the engine mounted to the frame as ground effects, 15 under each saddlebag mounted to the bag supports and not the bags, 9 under the tour pack firing down on the rear of the bike, 9 under the seat facing the starter, 6 behind the horn nacelle, 9 behind the breather, 21 under the left side tank, and 18 under the right side tank (it's shorter than the left side). 
I wanted a dimming effect with mine, but the only way to get that is with their most expensive remote control, so I didn't go with that.  They claim these are the brightest bike LED's out there, and they are pretty darn intense, so a dimmer at times would be nice to have.  If any of you know of one (a rheostat/potentiometer) that will easily hook up in-line, let me know!
Anyway, I removed the bags, the side covers, the seat and the gas tank, which made things a LOT easier to wire up, and helped me learn a lot more about the bike in the process.
For how to remove the tank, there are several videos on YouTube that are pretty nice, but I think Ryan Urlacher's channel does the best job explaining it all.
If you order lights, buy yourself a small can of lacquer thinner, as it's the best cleaning prep to use.  It truly is clean and leaves no residue.  Also ask for extra 3M bonding primer, as you're going to need it!  And watch the instructional videos all the way thru on the Boogey Lights website, as they will save your bacon, and give you confidence to tackle the project on your own.
All told, it took me 12 hours over 2 days to install, but I really took my time with this project, and the end result was it worked like a charm right off the bat.
Check your LED's with a simple 9v battery when they are first delivered, then before you install them, then after you glue them in place.  If you buy the cut n' click type, this repeated checking is a must, and be darn sure you cut exactly where you are supposed to so you don't ruin the strip of LED's.  It's really not that complicated and you should have no problems.
In the end, you'll have completed a really cool project you can be proud of!
I'm new to the forum and don't know how to attach several photos at once, so if you want to see photos, let me know!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

MGCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
Re: Boogey Lights LED Kit: install tips and review
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »

Looks great! I went with the Fusion system it has 3 separate zones and 21 colors 14 functions one is dimmable. During the day\dusk I ride with the red on and at night I turn it to white.

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »

Looks great, some people like them, some do not.  I like them, but I have an orange bike and have ordered some for mine and they were more yellow than orange! Still wanting the orange.  :orange:

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »

I didn't like the color lights and my sales person at Custom Dynamics suggested the white lights.  I like them and they really make the chrome pop!!
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:52:40 PM »

I just installed a set of Street Magic Led's that I have had sitting around for at least 7 years.  they are the Red Blue Green that you can make numerous colors with through the remote.  Got all done and one color function on the remote has died, board went bad.  So I cannot get green until my new controller arrives tomorrow.    Once I get the new controller I will post some pictures.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »

I have had the Boogey lights on several bikes and they are bright!! Have not done them on the '15 yet, but I will get around to it.

They look great on yours!

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »

Having just done the led's on my bike, I can attest to the time to do it. Great advice on the cleaning prep, as well as constantly testing with the 9v battery. I got done and my light would not work though. Turned out the ground on my controller had a pinched wire. Soldered on another length of 24 gauge wire, tested it and good, hooked it up and good to go. Most nights I would have a couple hours to work on it. Took me a week this way. I also put mine up on my J&S jack stand to make it a little easier to get under it. The only thing I need to do now is splice in some quick releases where the wires run from the tank to the frame, just in case the tank needs to come off
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »

I have had the Boogey lights on several bikes and they are bright!! Have not done them on the '15 yet, but I will get around to it.

They look great on yours!

Hey thanks, MJB and Doublerunner!  You're right about one thing, they are very bright.  I would really like to find a rheostat that would allow me to tone them down a little bit. 
I'll tell you one mod I made to them that helped.  The individual lights on the strips are bendable (aimable).  You can aim them after affixing the strip to the bike but you have to do it carefully so as not to break the LED wire connector.  This gives you some customizability beyond just putting lights on and living with them where they're at. 
Because of some of the locations I chose to put them, some of the lights are partially or directly visible to you from about 10' or further away.  This would be especially true of people in cars (cops coming at you or following you), which made me a little uncomfortable. 
I talked to Boogey and then decided to get some black paint and a fine paintbrush.  I painted only that portion of the LED's that stood out the most (like under the back of the tour pack or under one side of the tank or at the front of the underside of the fairing).  Now they are a lot less conspicuous but they still shine where I pointed them, which is a cool thing.  And the paint does not affect the brightness or the function at all, which is also a good thing.

If you or anyone out there needs some tips or closeup pics of my setup, let me know!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »

I use monster bright.  I frankly can't tell the difference between any of the better brands as far as brightness goes.  I'd pick based on price and the wiring setup as long as you've seen them in person.  You can usually get deals at the rallies as there's often 10 or more LED trailers at a rally like Delmarva or Sturgis or Daytona, etc.

I run white lights on my engine on a remote so I can do the breathing / heartbeat effect.  The ground effects and body lights are orange and stay on solid.  They're on two switches so I can turn the ones on the dash and front wheel off.  This allows me to not get hassled in PA.  They frown on anything in front of the neck in my area.  Still haven't found out for sure whats legal but according to the local magistrate who's a friend of mine, they're not.  A cop I know says they are... :'(  ;D

Here's some pics.  I've added lights in the floorboards.  Between the pad and the tray.  I've got enough hitting the ground.  I took off the windshield bag so the light there is gone.  It's hard to tell, but the light inside the speakers is actually just an LED strip curved around the J&M spacer.  No $200 trim ring for me.  Total cost to do the speaker was $18.  The caliper puck focuses too much on the back of the wheel for me.  I again went with strip lights lining the entire length of my front fender.  The whole wheel is list orange when its on.  The backseat looked too dark when I was done so I took an extra strip I'd gotten and split it onto each rear speaker.  It looks great unless you stand right at the bike.  Then you can actually see the LEDs since they're not under anything, just obscured by the speaker enclosure.  I'm the only one that it seems to bother though, so I leave it alone.  I do the installs myself. This is the 4th bike I've done.  Every time I do one I swear I'll never do it again.  And then the next one is even more elaborate then the last.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

MGCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:22 AM »

Here is a little video on the Fusion system.

I installed this over the winter the install took me about 4hrs. The only reason I purchased this system is I could not make up my mind on what color, do I want Red and not be able to ride with them on at night, or go with just white and not be harassed by the police.
With this system I ride with the red on in the day\dusk and never harassed. And at night I turn it to white for more visibility. So far no issues with the system or the police.

This this is the kit I ordered.

http://shop.nightflasherleds.com/fusion-led-lighting/harley-davidson-stage-2-fusion-led-lighting-kit.html

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.