Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What year and model bike with windshield mounted GPS  (Read 2968 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
What year and model bike with windshield mounted GPS
« on: August 05, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »

Someone refresh my memory please.  Which year and model Softails was it that the GPS unit windwhield mounted?

Hdolfje

• Full CVO Member
  • 2021 FLTRXSE

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Black Forest & Wineberry
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE Dark Alloy/Black Denim
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Starfire Black/Atomic Red
Re: What year and model bike with windshield mounted GPS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »

2012 softail convertible

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »

2012 softail convertible

Dank je !  Appreciate the help  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »

Here's what I was thinking about.  Couldn't remember the year model of the bike that had mounted the GPS this way so begged help rather than wading through multiple parts lists.

Thinking about this mount through the windshield on the Road King.  Not wild about handlebar mounts on it.  Would be simple to strip the big cable down to just the power that's necessary and drop it inside the nacelle for power.

The four hole mount of the actual GPS bracket is a universal AMP mount so any GPS bracket (and its weather cap) with a comparable bracket could go there.  Might have to do this.... 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »

Should anyone else get this wild hair the attached PDF is the parts list of the bits you'd have to (or at least likely want to) get from Mother Harley.  Part number 11 shown above would be the mount bracket that matches your GPS unit; assuming it uses that same four hole AMP mounting pattern.

The little sleeved rubber washers don't show up in the Harley parts list.  I've bought them from Garmin once before though.  After that was too much hassle just used small o-rings.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »

I would be interested in see it mounted.  Pictures etc.

Don, I'm wondering how it might fit on an '09 SERG?  You have an earlier SERG so if you mount it on the RK, before hand, hold it up to the RG and see if it's possible.

I have determined that the windshield I now have is the keeper of the bunch, so I have no qualms about drilling three holes into it for a mounting of the Garmin.

Share when you're done, greatly appreciated...  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

I would be interested in see it mounted.  Pictures etc.

Don, I'm wondering how it might fit on an '09 SERG?  You have an earlier SERG so if you mount it on the RK, before hand, hold it up to the RG and see if it's possible.

I have determined that the windshield I now have is the keeper of the bunch, so I have no qualms about drilling three holes into it for a mounting of the Garmin.

Share when you're done, greatly appreciated...  :2vrolijk_21:

I thought about the same mount on the windshield of the SERG Dan.  Will want to play with the spacing a bit as there is less real estate to work with.  My other concern is that it's a lot farther away.  Want to make sure viewing of the little screen still is adequate.

If the spacing and viewing are good, however, it's almost a no-brainer.  Drop he power cord through a small hole in the top of the inner fairing through a grommet.  It would all end up hidden by the GPS unit itself (even more so than on the Road King).  Easily wire up power inside the fairing and take audio to a rear aux port on the radio.  With that songs in or Pandora through the GPS unit play over the bike audio and are automatically interrupted by GPS prompts.  If it works as I hope it might this would be a much cleaner GPS mount on a Road Glide than others I've seen without any instruments nor radio being blocked by the GPS.

Will be ordering the parts to play with this for the Road King (decided to go ahead and mess with it).  Whenever the bits get here will see just where things lay out and let you know.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »

Iron aces makes a nifty lil mouth for the roadglides, I know of a few members here that has one.
https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/iron-aces-mount/
Just saying

TN

I had a gps mounted on my last road king in a similar fashion, used exsisting windshield bolts. Modified a ram mount for the gps.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »

Iron aces makes a nifty lil mouth for the roadglides, I know of a few members here that has one.
https://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/iron-aces-mount/
Just saying

TN

I had a gps mounted on my last road king in a similar fashion, used exsisting windshield bolts. Modified a ram mount for the gps.

Seen that one.  Even put one on for someone else.  The location closer to the rider was ok.  I didn't like the way it parked the unit in front of the radio though.  Also wasn't wild about the power/audio cable dangling on top of instrument pod. 

Don't get me wrong.  I think it's the best option commonly out there for anyone wanting something other than a handlebar mount.  I've always just chosen to stay with bar mount instead of that.  Now I'm least wondering if the windshield mount will work ok.

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »

The 2014 and 2015 CVO Deluxe's also had them

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »

The 2014 and 2015 CVO Deluxe's also had them

Thanks.  That one I'd actually remembered but it's mounting involves more windshield support hardware and doesn't use an emblem that would so easily cover the hardware added from the windshield's front side.  It's likely a better mount.  Just not quite as good for this retrofit though.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »

You are right, that Ironaces unit on the older Road Glides blocks the radio, I saw one at Daytona, looks less than stellar. Your w/s idea is very interesting.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »

A thought popped in my head 30 minutes ago while walking back toward the house with the dogs.  The right half of the image attached here shows what was done on the Convertible and what should work without much if any change at all on a Road King (or other) windshield.  On the left is the 14//15 Deluxe.  The larger bracket that is part of the windshield mount on the front of the windshield isn't shown there but even with what's seen one can see that it's not as simple a through-windshield mount as is the Convertible.  The emblem on the front of the Convertible windshield (green circle) is both part of the mount system to sandwich the windshield and it serves to decoratively cover all the work from the front.

However....  I was still thinking about some Road Glide mounting that would be better than the instrument nacelle mount and get it off the bars.  First idea had been doing the same thing and going through the windshield.  Unsure if distance from the rider might be a problem there or, since those screens don't have to be all that long, how much actual working real estate will be available.  Then, while walking the dogs, had an idea.  With either the part #14 from the Convertible exploded view or #23 from the Deluxe's image what about taking it from windshield facing and instead mounting it face down on and through the top of the inner fairing.  Just above the radio and toward the rider.  It would have the unit much closer to the radio.  It would suspend above the radio as well. 

Not sure if the screws in the axial joint on either mount tighten to the point of fixing motion or not.  If they do there could be even less issue.  If not might be a case of either finding a "happy" place where the bottom of the GPS hit the inner fairing such that the angle toward the rider was right.  Might also drill and tap a hole through that bracket that accepts the AMP mount and run a long thumb screw it and use that for adjustment.

Will definitely need all the parts from the Convertible installation for the Road King.  Think I'll go ahead and get #s 21, 22, and 23 from the Deluxe's installation as well then can mock up either set on the Road Glide to see if either will work or which one works better.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »

Ordered parts today.  One set of those needed from each.  Will definitely have what's needed to make a new Road King mount.  If parts work as I hope might have enough to make both a Road King and a Road Glide mount.  If the Road Glide doesn't go as I hope can at least use the parts I intend for the Road King's windshield to see if they'll work effectively and comfortably in a Road Glide windshield installation.  If have to go that way, and it looks like it'll work ok, then will only have to buy more parts and bin just a few pieces that end up being unused.  Hopefully pieces in hand late next week.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »

Ordered parts today.  One set of those needed from each.  Will definitely have what's needed to make a new Road King mount.  If parts work as I hope might have enough to make both a Road King and a Road Glide mount.  If the Road Glide doesn't go as I hope can at least use the parts I intend for the Road King's windshield to see if they'll work effectively and comfortably in a Road Glide windshield installation.  If have to go that way, and it looks like it'll work ok, then will only have to buy more parts and bin just a few pieces that end up being unused.  Hopefully pieces in hand late next week.

I'm sure you will, but please keep us posted on the install.  Again, I'm particularly interested in what possible chances may exist for the SERG.  I have a Clear View large 15" and they use quite thick plastic, so if it fits and I go that way, I won't feel bad about the windshield holding up the vibration or strain.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 21 queries.