Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HawgWired Sony adapter  (Read 8316 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
HawgWired Sony adapter
« on: April 12, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »

Finally got the dead radio in the red bike R&R'd.  Not wildly excited about the looks of the Sony marine radio's silver face against the black face of the adapter kit against the red inner fairing.  But it is what it is.  And it was a heluva lot cheaper than another Harley branded radio. 

Also a simple install.  Whole task took a little less than 90 minutes.  And that was on the red bike with all the extra crap inside the fairing that had to be either removed or repositioned.

The one really nice thing I wanted to mention (besides the simplicity of the installation) is a feature of the interface that lets the handlebar controls run the radio.  Found it by accident but now pushing both buttons at the same time turns on the radio.  Always thought the Harley unit should behave that way.  Oddly, pushing both buttons at the same time again won't turn the radio back off.  But hey, half a loaf is better than none.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: HawgWired Sony adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »

Interesting about turning on not off.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Finally got the dead radio in the red bike R&R'd.  Not wildly excited about the looks of the Sony marine radio's silver face against the black face of the adapter kit against the red inner fairing.  But it is what it is.  And it was a heluva lot cheaper than another Harley branded radio. 

Also a simple install.  Whole task took a little less than 90 minutes.  And that was on the red bike with all the extra crap inside the fairing that had to be either removed or repositioned.

The one really nice thing I wanted to mention (besides the simplicity of the installation) is a feature of the interface that lets the handlebar controls run the radio.  Found it by accident but now pushing both buttons at the same time turns on the radio.  Always thought the Harley unit should behave that way.  Oddly, pushing both buttons at the same time again won't turn the radio back off.  But hey, half a loaf is better than none.

So - what red bike, I am assuming the SEEG since the crap inside comment?
What was the problem?

Which Sony marine?
That adapter is PnP, right?
How about the rest of the connectors? Our radios are a little different because of the 2 versus 4 channels.

Does the Sony have an iPod interface?

And of course

excited about the looks of the Sony marine radio's silver face against the black face of the adapter kit against the red inner fairing. 

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »

So - what red bike, I am assuming the SEEG since the crap inside comment?
What was the problem?

Which Sony marine?
That adapter is PnP, right?
How about the rest of the connectors? Our radios are a little different because of the 2 versus 4 channels.

Does the Sony have an iPod interface?

And of course

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

This was a simple chore so I didn't document anything Duane.  Only a few pics taken just for reference of where things were.  The radio is a Sony CDX-MR50IP.  There were limited options of the marine units with a front aux in jack.  The radio does have an Ipod controller and would accept external tuners for satellite radio or HD radio.  I didn't mess with either one.  After a bazillion songs got loaded in the GPS unit I rarely used the XM anymore.  So left it out.

This image is the radio in the dash.  I liked the marine unit's silver face generally matching the rest of the instruments.  It also illuminates its buttons in red.  Had very few options that did that in a way that would match the instrument's illumination.  So it almost looks like it belongs there; except for that filler block between the radio and the fairing.

The block is thick, has o-rings that seal between it and the fairing and is black.  It's a snug fit to the inner fairing also.  But went in with only minimal hassle actually.  If it were the fairing color so there was no third color contrast it'd all be visually better.  In fact I think I'm going to try to get another plate by itself from HawgWired.  Will get it painted.  Then some rainy Saturday when inside the fairing again would swap it out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »

Losing the large Advanced Audio (Harmon Kardon) overlay harness, the physically larger radio and the XM module makes for much more room inside the fairing now.  This is everything after it was laid back around the installed Sony radio and strapped in place  Much more room now.  It had always been serviceable.  Made sure of that.  Still will be.  Just a little easier now.

The large cables are power/ground to the HawgWired amp.  That's the red thing setting on top of the radio.  One of the other harnesses apparent is the harness for the power saddlebag locks.  It's the one with the relay pack up high left in the photo.  That wrapped up cable laying on top of the amp is the Ipod controller.  I don't have an ipod so it's just resting there being happy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »

Since the adapter unit is black setting against a black bracket it isn't immediately apparent.  Circled here.

Yes, it is completely plug and play.  The harness that would go in to the radio plugs in to this unit.  It has a Sony head unit connector coming out of it and a Sony wired remote connector.  Both simply plug in. 

It has one other small unterminated harness.  This harness has the outputs for rear speakers, power antenna, dimming connection for dash lights; the normal stuff for a Sony head unit in a car.  It did have a switched power output to turn the amp on and off.  But I didn't use it as that function was already in my additional harness work alread in place.

The adapter fits like it was made for it above the radio and beside amp tucked in on the fairing support bracket there.  So I didn't even need to stack anything higher than the amp.  It was close up there with the fairing before.  Now there is much room.

The only thing I did not do that I really should have is take the radio's pre-outs to the amplifier rather than just leaving it as it was.  Will do that later in fact.  Had intended to this time actually.  But when I went out to mess with it already had the fairing off before realizing I'd forgotten to get the RCA cables.  It sounds good now though.  Wasn't woried about during the install.  Even less so now.  It's a "someday" chore.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »

The radio is a Sony CDX-MR50IP. 

Number doesn't show up, maybe this one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=sony+marine&i=158M50IP

The radio does have an Ipod controller

Key ingredient I am looking for. Want to be able to hide the iPod and access it through the radio.

This image is the radio in the dash.  I liked the marine unit's silver face generally matching the rest of the instruments.  It also illuminates its buttons in red. 

It looks good, I was trying to visualize this on mine, wondering if it would clash or not.

In fact I think I'm going to try to get another plate by itself from HawgWired.  Will get it painted. 

Jim, should you decide to accept his mission .... get two, get them both painted and I'll spilt it with you. Will be a small paint order, so that might help.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »

Sounds like (pun intended) that you hooked up the speaker leads to the Hawgwired stuff, correct?

I'm thinking this will be a good option for me.

I could use the pre-amp outputs to my HW stuff, front and tourpak speakers and then maybe just use the speaker output to the down fairing speakers, or some other comboination.

Not sure, having 4 speakers all the time and 6 sometimes adds to the complexity.
Currently, when the tourpak is not on, the down fairing speakers are connected. With the tourpak on I have a jumper harness that allows me to switch out between the lowers and the tourpak.

Having a fade would be real nice. Just having a passenger on the back makes a difference in the "heard" volume for me.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »

You are only using two speakers right?

Any chance you noticed if there was an "aux" input on the back of the unit somewhere?
Having one on the front is convenient, but I'd like to keep that one plugged and hook up the GPS to the back of the radio.

BTW, what happened to the radio?

This does look good  :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:32:03 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »

Don-

I'm behind the times as usual.  I didn't know there was anything wrong with the HK radio.  The silver Sony looks good to me.    :2vrolijk_21:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »

Looks good Don. I am calling tomorrow about my new setup. They were running a few weeks behind, I hope to have it by next weekend. I am adding the amp and the XM to mine. I also am getting the sony 820 radio.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »

am getting the sony 820 radio.

Which radio is that Mike?

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »

Number doesn't show up, maybe this one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=sony+marine&i=158M50IP

Different places in its packaging and documentation it's given different identifiers.  That's the right one though.

It looks good, I was trying to visualize this on mine, wondering if it would clash or not.

It is better than I expected it would be.  The displayed lights are switchable between red and blue.  In red it is an overall decent match.  The black plate in between is just a contrast I wish wasn't there.

Jim, should you decide to accept his mission .... get two, get them both painted and I'll spilt it with you. Will be a small paint order, so that might help.

If I mess with I and the IM force will do this.  The local shop that did the Street Glide rear light housing, the trailer and a set of lowers for me has matched that color dead on.  So would just have them do it.

[/quote]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:30:37 PM »

Which radio is that Mike?

Mike is using an automotive rather than a marine model.  It's the CDX-GT820IP.  This one:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 07:37:34 PM »

You are only using two speakers right?

Any chance you noticed if there was an "aux" input on the back of the unit somewhere?
Having one on the front is convenient, but I'd like to keep that one plugged and hook up the GPS to the back of the radio.

BTW, what happened to the radio?

This does look good  :2vrolijk_21:

Yes, only two speakers for me.  The HawgWired CX speakers driven by their amp.

You can gain an aux in on the rear.   But you've got buy one more piece of hardware to do it with this radio.  Need Sony's "unilink" adapter.

The Harley radio just lost audio output.  All control functions were fine. Just no audio out.  Initially thought just its internal amp had died.  Since I had the HawgWired amp external I just bridged the internal.  Almost....  Radio still only had one channel.  The right side was dead.  So more than just the amp.

The Sony thing was simply an easier and cheaper alternative for an actually more competent radio.  The adapter for the handlebar controls makes it all so easily possible.  Just have to get used to the look.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »

Don-

I'm behind the times as usual.  I didn't know there was anything wrong with the HK radio.  The silver Sony looks good to me.    :2vrolijk_21:

Yeah, the damn thing died a few weeks ago.  It's actually DCFireman's fault too.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »

Yeah, the damn thing died a few weeks ago.  It's actually DCFireman's fault too.

Everything that goes wrong is Dawg's fault.
Well his and MFG's!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 07:43:52 PM »

Everything that goes wrong is Dawg's fault.
Well his and MFG's!

:2vrolijk_21:
Finally I don't get blamed for something. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »

Finally I don't get blamed for something. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

This time it really was Dawg's fault though.  Bad karma.  We were talking about his (then) impending radio change on the phone one evening.  He was asking what was involved in the Harmon Kardon retrofit. 

Told him it was possible but a real pain with having to hack the firmware in the radio from scratch every time.  Went on to emphasize the point by saying "if my radio died tomorrow I'd replace with the Sony package rather than do the same thing again."  Damn thing died the very next day.... 

It's Dawg's fault.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »

Don I'll still get blamed for all of Chips eBay purchases. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 07:52:41 PM »

Don I'll still get blamed for all of Chips eBay purchases. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That wouldn't be so bad except Nancy can kick all our butts. ???

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »

Ain't that the truth. :nervous: She's got Chip so nervous he's blaming me for the purchases. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:31:19 PM »

You can gain an aux in on the rear.   But you've got buy one more piece of hardware to do it with this radio.  Need Sony's "unilink" adapter.

$100 more for the unilink
http://sm.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=158XA300&tp=5884

The Harley radio just lost audio output.  All control functions were fine. Just no audio out.  Initially thought just its internal amp had died. 

When I got finished doing the aux input move mine was dead also, don't know what I did, but it wasn't an issue using the amps.

The adapter for the handlebar controls makes it all so easily possible.  Just have to get used to the look.

Little pricey for the adapter, but I guess if you look at the "whole" package it is cheaper then buying another 2 channel radio from HD.

Oh, and the HD radio upgrade is another $100.

Radio               $200
Install kit          $240
unilink              $100 
HD Radio          $100
Paint                 ???

At least I already have the iPod

This will have to wait a little, I have a box coming from Georgia tomorrow.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »

$100 more for the unilink
http://sm.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=158XA300&tp=5884

When I got finished doing the aux input move mine was dead also, don't know what I did, but it wasn't an issue using the amps.

Little pricey for the adapter, but I guess if you look at the "whole" package it is cheaper then buying another 2 channel radio from HD.

Oh, and the HD radio upgrade is another $100.

Radio               $200
Install kit          $240
unilink              $100 
HD Radio          $100
Paint                 ???

At least I already have the iPod

In the case of the red bike the HK radio was an even more pricey replacement than our stock pieces.  I paid Jim whatever it was the Sony adapter kit cost.  Think postage and all it was $230 or so.  Bought the radio on eBay for just under $140.  So for about $375 it was pretty much a no brainer way to get it going again. 

Even if the radio only lasts a year the rest gets used over again.  So even with semi regular replacements it's a lot cheaper than buynig another Harley radio.  Reclaiming so much space inside the fairing was a positive byproduct.

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:22 PM »

I don't know if its cheaper or not. My HK went out so I replaced it with the Sony and the HawgWired adapter kit. The CD skipped so much it was barely usable. I don't know if I had a bad CD unit or not. 

Then I found you can get the Harley radios replaced/repaired exchange at Radio Sound for 130.00 so I did that and sold the Sony set up and bought some more chrome chit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:13:28 PM by icybay »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26:22 PM »

Having an iPod means all my CD's are in the basement.

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 09:42:23 PM »

I don't know if its cheaper or not. My HK went out so I replaced it with the Sony and the HawgWired adapter kit. The CD skipped so much it was barely usable. I don't know if I had a bad CD unit or not. 

Then I found you can get the Harley radios replaced/repaired exchange at Radio Sound for 130.00 so I did that and sold the Sony set up and bought some more chrome chit.

I'm not even terribly concerned about the head unit's CD player.  A bazillion songs in the GPS/MP3 player on the handlebar makes the disk player not too much of a worry.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »

Don, thanks for the info.  Something to ponder if our radios  go TU.  I think it looks good and painted should be great.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:   :)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »

i got better results using the sony atrac format then i did with mp3 files. might have a better read ahead function
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 24 queries.