Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HID or LED  (Read 5999 times)

131fun

HID or LED
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:18:50 AM »

Tryin to figure out which lighting system performs better between LED and HID. Just when ya think HID is the way to go, along comes LED. Which system should I get guys, and why?

Thanks a million...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: HID or LED
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »

How much do you want to spend?  At this point in time, there is no verifiable information that suggests a LED system performs any better that the HID systems, but it costs about four times as much.  It's kind of like any "new" technology where the early adopters pay a really big price premium just to be the first on the block.  If that is your thing, go for it.  If good performance at a reasonable cost is your thing, I'd say pass for now.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »

I'm sorta leaning towards getting the LED for myself for Christmas. (Since if I get anything for Christmas, it'll be me buying it.) Most definately think the stock light on my '10 CONV sux! Now I've heard the LED comparison on here before, and would really like to here from somebody who's seen the LED in action. If you look at the" picture" on page 648 of The 2011 H-D parts catalog, "Looks Like" ONE HELL OF A DIFFERENCE.
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »

I have used both the H-D LED and the Kuryacken (how ever the heck you spell it) HID system. They cost about the same and seem to produce about the same amount of light, but with some what different patterns. They both produce much better light than stock H-D halogen lights. The LEDs are a little more "white" than the HIDs. If one is looking for better light at a much cheaper cost the Sylvania replacement platanium series lights work well, but not as good as the HIDs or LEDs. For reference: I have the HID main light with LED passing lights on my SE Street Glide and used the LED light on my 07 Street Glide for comparo. Also have the H-D LED light on my SE Dyna. To me they are more than worth the money!
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

131fun

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:22 AM »

Well, I'll wait a little for the price to go down. One thing that i noticed is that the HID requires a ballast, which is more crap to hide. I don't think the LED requires as much crap (ballast) to install; plus, some are making the claim that the LED is brighter. So the LED seems to be the front runner...

:mango:

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »

Try DDM tuning for H.I.D.  kits, I got one yesterday, 55/35 wt  5000k color (white) bulb,  56 dollars. lifetime wattantyi i am  impressed and happy

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »

Has DDM gotten their wiring harness fixed?  When I got mine, it was a double harness for a car, with wiring too short to get to the battery.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 07:08:59 AM »

Im interested in hearing more on the HD LED as well.

Would love to hear from a few more of the HD LED early adopters.

1) Happy with functionalty ?
2) Happy with looks?
3) Do you feel it puts more or less strain on charging system than stock?
4) Any issues with blinding oncomming traffic?
5) Would you spend the money again?  Good investment?
6) ANYONE who owns the HD LED and is unhappy?
7) Does the HD LED headlamp take up less space under the fairing than the stock?

Thanks

Dave
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:18:55 AM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

retired fire dawg

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

#1 VERY HAPPY...VERY BRIGHT
#2 Some don't like the looks but I sure do. From a distance no differance
#3 Really can not tell the difference . Battery is always charged. I even put the passing lights on also and love them also
#4The only problem is I did not have the passing lights aimed right and other drivers did not like it, but it sure makes the road BRIGHT even on low
#5 For me YES I would spend it again. Investment wise I see better  so $$$$well spent....Even bought them for the wifes bike
#6 Who would be unhappy with bright lights
#7 The HD LED takes up almost the same as stock and very easy to put in. I put both sets in in about an 1/2 hour and was slow and read the directions twice.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

OK,  between Longhair and firedawg's  recommendations,  I'm placing an order for HD LED headlamp and spots.

Sorry 131fun, if I jacked your thread ..   :jack:    

I'll go back to my corner now and wait for delivery ...   ;D

Thanks guys for the recommendations ...  allways appreseated ..

Dave
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:49:11 PM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

retired fire dawg

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »

Dave..you will be more than happy with the HD LED on your bike. Riding the northern Ca back roads with those lights you will see every thing and also be seen. That is if you are in Folsom ca.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »

Yes,  i am in Folsom Ca ...  the LED's are on order.  Actually,  I am looking forward to that Hy 36 run that JCZ sponsered a few weeks back.   i couldnt make it,  so im planning on doing it solo  first nice weekend that im not oncall.

Thanks Firedawg
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
AIM Clutch Slave

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:27 PM »

harness is the same and yes wiring is to short, so i  did a length 0f  heavy wire from battery to their wire connector and bolted it, in case i had to send it back under warranty, cut wires voids it they said,  wow is it bright!!!!!!

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 04:20:50 PM »

I had a problem with them advertising it as a motorcycle kit, and shipping a car connection kit with it instead.  I sent mine back.

BTW, through research I have found that HID headlights in the stock reflector is illegal.  To be legal, you ahve to have a reflector designed for HID, as they have a different beam pattern than the normal bulb.

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »

if you have harleys dual bulb set up or two head lights as some harleys have,  the two connectors on the "car harness " are used,  just curious where does it say about different reflector in headlights illegal for h.i.d.s???????  But yes they should have a harness dedicated for the proper application,  but then adaptation is part of" building" a bike.  If they dont build it adapt it to suit your means. no biggie to fold the other connector back on the harness if not needed , 46.00 dollars   with lifetime warranty  vs 400-500 dollars same results  I'm happy
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:28:18 PM by timtoolman »

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »

yep  mine  is illegal,  oh well i dont care, more govt. control.  Hell my whole ultra is illegal  as almost all  are on here!!! haa haa haaa,    oh well  thanks for the link it was interesting.  here in the mtns ill take all the light i can get
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:32:39 AM by timtoolman »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »

Here's a great article on it:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

but the data cited is 8+ yrs old. i'd like to see more current test results
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 09:21:52 AM »

Well, I had a conversion on mine. It was aimed properly, but I still got constant high beam flashes at night. I personally experienced and agree with the study that stated there appears to be more light close up, but the distance vision wasn't as good I believe it's an optical illusion making you perceive you can see better, when, in fact,'it's worse at distance. I've gone back to an adjure reflector with a high end bulb, and the HID conversion bulb is sitting in my parts bin. The only way I, personally, would ever go back to HID, is if it was a kit, complete with replacement reflector.

Btw, I've yet to see a conversion without reflector that gives an adequate high beam at all.

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:28 AM »

you  have a point  the head lights that have no reflector suck period.  even the dual bullb from harley sucks also.  the stock head light reflector  on my 09  seems to really be decent. the place where i  get inspected dont care as long as the bulb wattage is legal size, my h.i.d..s are 35/55 and aimed correct   makes them happy.  i work for the state transportation dept  i asked around,  nobody seems to care as long as the bulb size is met.  we will c i guess

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »

The issue, to me, is not that I think I'm going to get stopped and ticketed for an illegal headlight.  We're still years away from that kind of crap.  The issue is, I am obviously dazzling oncoming drivers, and in addition, my visibility is not as good as it should be as there is too much light close in, and not enough at distance, where it's needed.  If it makes it safer, I give a crap if it's legal, but this just isn't the case with the HID plug ins.

The article may be 8 years old, but it makes a very good point in that the optics can NOT be made that are good for both HID and stock bulbs.  Any plug in HID without changing the reflector is a bastard installation that is just not going to do as well as the stock optics, or a real HID upgrade with new reflectors made for the job.

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »

yay :pepper: :cucumber: :apple:  i have a basturd !!!!  wha hooooooooooo   retina burners from hell!!!  i have a warped sense of humor,  all those years crawling in the submarine reactor compartments screwd me up!  haaa haaa haaa click haa haaa
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:55:00 PM by timtoolman »

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:12 AM »

is a high end bulb stock?????

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 09:55:31 PM »

I Bought the DDM lamps and ballasts from their motor cycle kit and the connectors matched my 08 SEUC connectors except the positive and negative wire locations were reversed.  No problem swapped positions in less than 5 minutes and the light show is amazing.  I tried every other bulb in the stupid dual bulb lamp and after spending several hundred dollars in bulbs never felt i could see anything especially on high beam. I put a 35 w low and a 50w high and can not believe the difference. I can finally see the road! The only draw back is the warm up time of the high beam bulb when switching to high beam. Its not a problem due to the fact that  the low beam bulb stays lit when the high beam is on but when the bulb reaches operating temp i can see farther than ever. Now i ride with confidence at night and know if i really need to see down the road i just hit the high beam button. A really nice setup that i would recommend to any one. I put 5K temp bulbs so the light is on the blueish side of white. If i had to do it all over again i would probably go with 4k's so the light would be closer to the original color.

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »

I was at my local dealer and they showed me a bike in the shop with the LED headlights installed. They turned off the shop lights for the demo. The LED was much brighter and whiter than a stock setup they showed me. So I started leaning that way and went to see if they had them in stock. They were out but I got a couple of grins from the parts guys. Apparently the two boxes under the tree are the LED headlight and aux lights my wife bought for Christmas....I guess I'll keep her  ;D
2011 FLHXSE2

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »

i have the harleys dual bulb light also in the shed, like you i hated it,  i should buy the dual hid kit for the bike, i was going to but was afraid it to wouldnt work in it well.  And buy another h-4 hid bulb/ballast then ill also have a set of hi/lo's for my my jeep

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »

Hey mcflyer  what do you think about 2 55w     h.i.d's  in that light???  tooo much???  of course i can wire the ddm  h-4 h.i.d. set up i have now so the low beam and high are on the same time in the stock headlight reflector, but that might be to much also.  whats your opinion????
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:32:54 PM by timtoolman »

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »

I have a 07 Ultra Classic and just finished redoing my front  lighting setup.  I was running a Cibie bucket with a Orsman 55/65 bulb, Kissan modulator and 50 watt bulbs in my spots.  I just wanted more especially for night driving

I changed to a Custom Dynamics HID conversion, HD LED spots and caliper mounted P3 Photon Blasters. I now have excellent night lights. I am sure it is only a matter of time before I get pulled over.  My wife and daughter both think they are obnoxiously bright both for day and night.

Time will tell but right now I feel it was all worth the investment

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 10:30:08 PM »

SORRY FOR THE LONG DELAY BUT I WAS OVER SEAS WITH OUT ANY INTERNET.  GOOD TO BE BACK IN THE US OF A.  I WOULD WORRY ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF HEAT IN THE BULB HOUSING CAUSING IT TO MELT.  THE CASE IS PLASTIC AND EVEN THOUGH THE WATTAGE IS ONLY SLIGHTLY HIGHER THE BULB TEMP IS SEVERAL HUNDRED DEGREES HIGHER.  I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE 35/55 W SETUP SO FAR IN ALMOST 2 YEARS!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 24 queries.