Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Need Zumo 665 answers before I buy one  (Read 6138 times)

Z man

• CVO1: 2010 Ultra Classic CVO
Need Zumo 665 answers before I buy one
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

I'm not at all pleased with either the navigation or XM in my Harmon Kardon radio and I am considering a Zumo 665.  I have several questions before I buy one and hope others can fill in the blanks for me.
     Can the included maps be updated in the next few years, and if so, how expensive might they be?  I cannot find any reference anywhere about maps other than it is preloaded with City Navigator.  I have a Magellen GPS now and they charge almost as much for the new maps that I could buy a new GPS instead.  The Zumo is much more expensive, so I buying a replacement unit is not much of an option.
     Can you store XM stations?  How easy is it easy to navigate and use the XM?
     Can you set the ZUMO to an FM frequency and pick up that signal on the HK FM radio like my other portable XM reciever does, or is the interface module necessary be connected to the HK?
     Has anyone used a RAM mount and are how pleased are you with it?
     Is this unit worth the high cost or should I consider mounting another GPS and XP reciever on my bike like I had on my last Ultra?
     Lots of questions, so maybe I can get some of them answered before I make the purchase.  THANKS!

Monolyth

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide, Black Diamond
Re: Need Zumo 665 answers before I buy one
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »

The maps are $49 for a single shot and $99 for a lifetime of upgrades.  You do get to update it with the latest maps when you buy it for like 30 days or something.

Monolyth

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »

I'm not at all pleased with either the navigation or XM in my Harmon Kardon radio and I am considering a Zumo 665.  I have several questions before I buy one and hope others can fill in the blanks for me.
     Can the included maps be updated in the next few years, and if so, how expensive might they be?  I cannot find any reference anywhere about maps other than it is preloaded with City Navigator.  I have a Magellen GPS now and they charge almost as much for the new maps that I could buy a new GPS instead.  The Zumo is much more expensive, so I buying a replacement unit is not much of an option.
     Can you store XM stations?  How easy is it easy to navigate and use the XM?
     Can you set the ZUMO to an FM frequency and pick up that signal on the HK FM radio like my other portable XM reciever does, or is the interface module necessary be connected to the HK?
     Has anyone used a RAM mount and are how pleased are you with it?
     Is this unit worth the high cost or should I consider mounting another GPS and XP reciever on my bike like I had on my last Ultra?
     Lots of questions, so maybe I can get some of them answered before I make the purchase.  THANKS!

!.  Yep, you can store XM stations.

2.  No FM from the Zumo, but you can still use the HK FM.

3.  Lots of folks use ram mounts.  They work great!

4.  Is it worth the money?  Definitely, if you take a lot of trips.

A nice feature on the 665 is the weather radar.  It won't keep you out of the rain, but you'll know when to put rain gear on!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 05:14:13 PM »

Ok any Gps zumo 665 from harley you will need the interface module......to use cd---fm---am---etc. for the prompts from the Nav unit.
A new modulator interface has just been updated since the other one had an issue.
The mp3 player in the zumo 665and  the Nav settings and and Xm settings all are saved.
The updates for unlimited maps and update have a fee through Garmin you can go to the garmin site.
Now as far as the mount....I would try the ram mount on the handle bars...I have it on the inner fairing and cant see it during the day when the Sun is bright. Also.....I cant adjust it to see it. At least if it was adjustable I would be more happy.
Also the Zumo 665 has weather doppler where the 660 does not...would i buy another one???? yes
I am still waiting for the new Nav interface module

Hope this helps
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »

The XM on the HK radio will work better if you relocate the antenna.

The NAV on the HK radio sucks and is basically useless, IMO.

If you want full functionality with the HK radio, like navigation prompts through the stereo system, you need to look into getting the HD NIM setup and instead of getting the Garmin 665, get the HD Roadtech 665.  Otherwise, you'll need to run the output of the Garmin through the AUX input on the HK.  Even with the Roadtech, you'd have to do that to hear MP3's, and the XM from the GPS.  Youll have to set the HK to AUX to hear the stuff from the GPS through the stereo/intercom.  If you don't care about the prompts interrupting the HK, then the Garmin units will do fine.

There is a thread here that talks about installing the NIM system on bikes that were not equipped with it.  It's just something you might want to consider before jumping in...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Z man

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »

WOW!  Is this fourm GREATor what?  I had lots of questions and within a few hours they have ALL been answered. 

One last question about the NIM.  How will I know if I'm getting the new version?  Is there a part number difference?

Thanks for the feedback from all of you.

Z man

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »

Lifetime update from Amazon about $80.00, the handlebar bracket from the 2011 CVO Road Glide works very good and if you have an Ultra the fairing mount works excellent and both far exceed anything else in looks and are made for the bikes, not ADAPTED to the bike.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »

WOW!  Is this fourm GREATor what?  I had lots of questions and within a few hours they have ALL been answered. 

One last question about the NIM.  How will I know if I'm getting the new version?  Is there a part number difference?

Z man

The NEW part # has (A3) at the end.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:57:41 AM »

Z man

We like to spend other people's money, but try to help you only spend it once.   :huepfenlol2:  Bissjim is the expert on all things NIM related, plus a whole bunch of other stuff.   :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 06:50:39 AM »

The NEW part # has (A3) at the end.

A3? Crap, you mean they changed it again? My updated one came with an 11A on the end of it.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »

Z man

I am following this thread.
What is NIM?
I have a Garmin Nuiv 550 with a handlebar mount from my sold Road King.
Thanks
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »

A3? Crap, you mean they changed it again? My updated one came with an 11A on the end of it.

Ticitme

Here is a picture of the latest NIM. (note the date on the box)
If you have the 11A you should have the latest one.

SBB

click on picture to enlarge

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Z man

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »

Another question about the Zumo 665:  Can the XM part be used in the automobile also or just the GPS?  You will need another antenna for the car, right?

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »

Another question about the Zumo 665:  Can the XM part be used in the automobile also or just the GPS?  You will need another antenna for the car, right?

Yep, another antenna AND another subscription! That's why I got a 660 and will use the mini-SD cards and I already have many CDs with over 200 MP3s on each. Don't need xm anyway.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Z man

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »

Why would you need another subscription?  A subscription follows the reciever, not the vehicle or where it is being used.

Z mzn
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 21 queries.