Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide Radio problems  (Read 898 times)

harley5227

2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide Radio problems
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »

I am new to this forum, but it seems to cover everything CVO which is what I am looking for. 
I have a 2000 SE Road Glide, triple red for anyone who cares.  I have the factory stereo setup.  Radiosound with Harley speakers. I have had an ongoing problem with the stereo for several
years.  The bike is in Colorado, and is serviced by Aspen Valley HD.  Most of the year I live in Florida, so I use this bike mostly in the summer.  The problem is I dont have a lot of service alternatives to try to find the problem.

Now for the problem
The radio works fine when I start the bike cold, but after about 20 minutes or so the sound begins to break up.  Sounds like electrical interference, not a whine, more a cutting out. 
If I shut the motor and put it on accessory the radio works fine.  Start it up and it reappears.  It also appears to be rpm related, with certain the radio worse at certain rpms..
My dealer had been working on this forever.  We have shipped the radio back to Radiosound for replacement., they have changes out electrical parts, speakers of all types to no avail.
They have checked the wiring, the grounds etc and have still not been able to eliminate the problem.  I have apehangers on the bike with internal wiring.  That has not been touched.
I am wondering if there could be a breach in there someplace.

The dealer has been pulling their hair out trying to fix it, but so far no fix.  Since its out in the boonies, I have little choice for another opinion.  Unless the mechanic is also an
electrical expert, this is probably out of his comfort zone, which is what Im afraid has happened here.  I have heard of others with similar models having this problem on other forums, but
nobody has a solution.  Hopefully I can find someone here who has experienced this and has found a solution.  Otherwise the bike is perfect, on 16K miles.  HELP please.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.