Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Amp & speakers for FLHTCUSE7  (Read 8253 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: Amp & speakers for FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 03:12:30 AM »

From the side

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:17:55 AM »

Wow, thanks lilcoot!
The best you've had is the best you know.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 07:13:28 AM »

Hey, 05Train.  I just saw this thread, and I did just what you're talking about.  I have a FLHTCUSE8, and made the TourPak detachable, installed the BT4180, BT7.1 speakers in the fairing, 7.1 pods on the TourPak, and a Sony head unit.

The reviews are mixed.  The fairing speakers are a huge improvement over stock.  I can hear mid-range and upper frequencies pretty clearly at 75 mph, but bass notes are still inaudible.  Maybe that's the best we can expect while riding on the open road, but even parked, the bass is not that great.  I've cranked up the EQs on the iPod and the head unit, and the bass is just not right.  The speakers are in phase (I've checked), and Brian at Biketronics couldn't help.  I wouldn't be concerned about weight too much.  The 7.1s are virtually the same weight as the 6.5 HATs.  Any good speaker will weigh more than HD's junk speakers.

As for the rear pod speakers, I don't know what to tell you.  They work better than stock pod speakers and definitely work way better than speakers in the bag lids, but again, they are hard to hear while riding.  Plus, the bass isn't audible.  I never ride with a passenger, so space isn't an issue, but the BT pods are bigger than the stock pods, so if you have a BSR who isn't really, really skinny, she won't be comfortable getting her behind crushed for more than a few minutes.  The bigger speaker pods also make the TourPak harder to put on, but not a big deal.  Finally, the connectors for the rear pods that Biketronics provide are incredibly cheap units.  I'd be embarrassed to sell such garbage.

I'll try to look for pictures I took during the install.  Good luck, let me know if you need more info.

Wow, those pods look huge on there.  Are they open at the rear to take advantage of the vents into the tourpak, which is supposed to help with the bass?  They look like the aim the speakers much more inward instead of at the rider, which I would imagine would make those harder to hear.  Did you try putting Dynamat inside the fairing?  I did that with mine and it seemed to make the bass much tighter and seemed to make the sound more directed to me.  Before and after Dynamat, if you put your hand in front of the speaker you can feel an airstream coming at your hands multiple times what it was before adding the Dynamat.  It was a very noticeable difference.  I went a bit overboard with the Dynamat to make sure I wasn't losing anything via that route.

Glenncarp

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »

I know you can put the 6.5" speakers in the stock rear pods with these adaptors http://www.sidecarcycles.com/store/products/category/v-twin-audio-for-harley/#filter-term=427&order=0-  They also have some sort of rear speaker interface that I haven't quite figured out exactly what it does yet http://www.sidecarcycles.com/store/products/v-twin-audio-ultra-plug-rear-amplifier-interface/  I'm planning on giving them a call to figure out if this interface would be useful.  My initial plan was to just run speaker wires from the Biketronics amp direct to the rear speakers and just leave the stock speakers wires there unplugged.  I planned on leaving the controls on the side of the speaker pods connected.  It looks like those controls should still work then.  Note:  this is still in theory, as I haven't tried it yet.  I have the front 6.5 Titan II speakers running through the Biketronics amp and not much to say but "wow".  If anybody figures out how that interface helps, please post.

It looks to me like the interface allows you to add an amp to the head unit without doing what my Audio Techs are doing, bridging the stock amp to the new one. As I wrote before, the only thing I am going to lose is balance by splitting the stock amp channels. I think I am reading this right......

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »

You're welcome.  After reading my post again, it sounds like I was really ragging on Biketronics.  I think their stuff is very good, and I'm not willing to spend thousands for marginal sound on a 'sickle, so it's a good deal.

Get really good speakers for the fairing, cause 95% of what you'll hear comes from them.  The BT 7.1s are probably the best speaker available for the $$.  If I had to do it again, I'd just get some good 5 1/4" speakers for the pods.  You'll get better volume than stock, and the speakers will be pointing at you more. That's as good as it will get.  Plus, you'd still be able to bring your BSR along.  Others may disagree, but I don't think bag speakers are worth the cost, either.  They're even harder to hear than pod speakers because of their location.

The BT4180 is great amp, but has no gain controls for the different channels.  If your speakers are well matched, that's not a problem, but if they're not matched, you might be unhappy with the lack of adjustability.  The other amp I'd recommend is the ARC 125.  It's very good, and costs less.

That's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions:  They're like a$$holes.  Everybody has one, and most of them stink.

Good luck!

Dan

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »

Well here's another question....Can I run the 7.1 speakers up front with a 2-channel amp, then run the rear speakers off of the H-K head unit?

Glenncarp

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »

Well here's another question....Can I run the 7.1 speakers up front with a 2-channel amp, then run the rear speakers off of the H-K head unit?
Another question to your question....Why?? Head unit is way under powered to run any speakers effectively unless you meant running the rear speakers off of the stock amp. Then the answer would be yes, but as stated before, if the new amp has a gain and the stock does not, then you can not balance the output between the two amps

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »

Another question to your question....Why?? Head unit is way under powered to run any speakers effectively unless you meant running the rear speakers off of the stock amp. Then the answer would be yes, but as stated before, if the new amp has a gain and the stock does not, then you can not balance the output between the two amps
Would be running the rears only off of the head unit (hypothetically).

Glenncarp

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »

Would be running the rears only off of the head unit (hypothetically).

IMO that is not a good idea. I think the rear speakers would be WAY under powered as the head unit pushes 80W and the stock amp 200W. I have to have the volume 7/8 of the way up with the stock amp powering both sets of speakers, You will lose the sound out of the rear speakers if they are not powered by an amp.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »

Never a cheap way out.....

Glenncarp

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »

Never a cheap way out.....

No doubt, like i said to the wife signing a $40K check to HD......"Well honey, at least I do not have to spend any more money on upgrades"!!! That was 2011, count to date on extras is at about $5,500 adding in the sound upgrade bout to happen!!!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »

No doubt, like i said to the wife signing a $40K check to HD......"Well honey, at least I do not have to spend any more money on upgrades"!!! That was 2011, count to date on extras is at about $5,500 adding in the sound upgrade bout to happen!!!
True 'dat.

She said, "let's get a CVO this time so you don't have to change anything".

CCE upper tree and 575 bars are in-process, shocks & monotubes done, and we're gonna need a stereo.  Shoulda kept the Beemer and picked up a meth habit....Woulda been cheaper.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »

Actually, you can run the 7.1 speakers front and rear from the Biketronics 2 channel amp.  I can't remember if it's running them in series or parallel now, but if you talk to the tech guy at Biketronics, he'll tell you exactly how to run them.  The setup they have with the ohms on the speakers and amp will allow for this...running 4 speakers on 2 channels.  It's the same exact setup that you would be running if you ran fairing and lower speakers off the same 2 channel amp.  I should rephrase above and mention that I know this is fine with their 6.5" Titan II speakers and I'm assuming they have the same impedance on the 7.1".  You won't have any fade from front to rear with that setup.  You'll have the same output front and rear.  Running the rears direct from the H-K head unit wouldn't make any sense when you can do the above.  I don't think you would hear anything from the rear without them being amplified.

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 12:24:18 PM »

I installed a RF 300x2 amp on top of my stock HK head unit under the front fairing to power my fairing speakers (6.5" Polk MM651s); and my stock Harley Boom amp mounted under the tour pak powers the rear speaker pods. I put a set of the new J&M 5.25" speakers in them. I'm pleased with the sound, and it was fairly inexpensive as far as audio upgrades go.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »

Wow, those pods look huge on there.  Are they open at the rear to take advantage of the vents into the tourpak, which is supposed to help with the bass?  They look like the aim the speakers much more inward instead of at the rider, which I would imagine would make those harder to hear.  Did you try putting Dynamat inside the fairing?  I did that with mine and it seemed to make the bass much tighter and seemed to make the sound more directed to me.  Before and after Dynamat, if you put your hand in front of the speaker you can feel an airstream coming at your hands multiple times what it was before adding the Dynamat.  It was a very noticeable difference.  I went a bit overboard with the Dynamat to make sure I wasn't losing anything via that route.

That's what I asked, too, and they said porting the pods didn't really make much difference in the bass.

I installed a RF 300x2 amp on top of my stock HK head unit under the front fairing to power my fairing speakers (6.5" Polk MM651s); and my stock Harley Boom amp mounted under the tour pak powers the rear speaker pods. I put a set of the new J&M 5.25" speakers in them. I'm pleased with the sound, and it was fairly inexpensive as far as audio upgrades go.

I agree.  The stock unit is okay with stock pipes at speeds up to 60 mph, maybe.  Anything in the real world needs a little more, but to really sound good, one would have to spend thousands.  I think what you did makes the most sense for the $$$.   :2vrolijk_21:

The only other thing I'm considering is putting Hog Tunes 7" "woofers" in the lower fairings.  I have a new set sitting in the box in my garage that I bought two years ago, so I might as well try them.  They aren't really woofers, but I'm hoping they make a little more bass. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.