CVO Social > Rider Down

I might be down, but I'm not out!

(1/296) > >>

chappy:
Hi Guys,

I'm asking for thoughts and prayers for my family during this time ahead.

Wasn't sure where to send this, but thought you could or would place it in the right thread. 
Thanks

Sorry I haven't written before now because I have seen that you guys do care.
So, here's a very brief outline of the latest curve ball tossed my way

I't's been a rough past 3 weeks.
And it looks like several weeks/months maybe longer of a rough road ahead as well.

I'll start with 09/18/09: I called the WRJ. VT. Veterans hospital.
I told them I am having chest pains and just didn't feel well.
Come right in, they said.
Got there at 2:30pm, by 3pm I was in the ER.

They thought I was having a heart attack, nope not me!
I also wouldn't go to Boston Vets Hospital as they suggested, not on a Friday afternoon. (ghostown on weekends)

The next Tuesday (9/22), I had a stress test (Hey,does anyone ever win that race?),
as well as a contrast C-T scan of my chest. Seems my heart is strong enough but,
as it turns out there's a tumor growing on/in my thymus gland, (an organ that's part of the Lymph gland system) between my breastbone and heart. It is the size if a fist. (I hope they were nt thinking of Tyson!)  lol   Did I say it hurts?

So a biopsy was done the following Tuesday morning (9/29). It was guided by the use of the C-T scan. Waiting the 5 days for the call from my Doc was a challange. But the info came finally.
It's Thymoma, Cancer of the Thymus. Part of the Lymph system. Hodgkins or Non-Hodgkins cancer has not been decided yet.  The Stage is believed to be Stage 2 or 3.

I was told yesterday that they have to remove it and all the mess that seems to be confined to my chest cavity at this point. It has spread to at least my right lung (left lung ?)

Good news: It's not genitic, so I can rest on the fact that I haven't passed on a dirty gene to my children or my grandchildren. I am thankful for that.

Strange news: This type of cancer only sticks it's ugly head up in 500 - 700 people in America a year. I'm surprized they even have a name for it.  lol

A Tumor Board met today at the WRJ VT V Hospital along with some Dhartmouth Hitchcock Hospital Doc's. to discuse my case. (Lucky my case was on their agenda so soon)
However, I'm now told my tumor is to big and to wrapped around my heart, vessels and veins and has also attacked my right lung, (left lung ?) and other areas of my chest. The tumor has metastasizes and is now unable to be removed surgically.

I still  have many questions to ask latter

Now, The plan is a PET scan (10/19) at Dartmouth to locate any and all tumors around my body. The hope is there won't be many.  (none would be nice)   

Radiation treatment for several weeks sometime after a (10/30) appointment with Oncology maybe the radiation will be paired with chemo also. If my tumor can be shrunk enough, then removing it might be back on the table in several weeks. The Doc says a this time it's only a hope. (but that something!)
Although I'm not sure what several means???

But, for now I can say to my VA primary Doc, "I told I didn't feel good!!"  lol (been telling her for months)
All along, I thought I was simply feeling this bad because of diabetes.
That's what the PCG at the VA has been telling me too.

I have a rough road ahead it seems
I'm still trying to get a handle on all the info myself.
I will let you know from time to time how I'm doing

till then

Take care of yourself

your friend and fellow member
chappy

Sam Legasse

Grizzly:

We wish you the very best of luck!

Keeping you in our thoughts & prayers.

Take care,
Grizzly

Wanna ride:
We will certainly be thinking of you, and you are in our prayers. Please keep us posted.

ice6900:
Chin up. we will be thinking of you and wishing you back on your bike and in the wind

Wrongway:
 Sam,
You have a big family here for all the support you can handle. Use us when you need us, were here for you.  Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version