Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 1210 times)

Kirk

What to do?
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »

I have a 2011 SESG....only performance mods have been a SE race tuner, VH X-pipe and RH performance mufflers.  I am looking for more of a kick out of the engine. I want the same thrill and kick I used to get out of my 2008 SG 103 built...I loved the performance of the mild 103 with it's pull.  The dealer has many options for me all across the $$$$$ range.  The service manager says I can bring to life the 110 with some head work to help the stock cam, add a 2 into 1 pro pipe and here is where I have a concern......they want to change the trans gearing. sprocket and belt to get better use of the power to the rear wheel. Has any body tried this.....I am worried about the reliability.  People always talk about the engine work they do; I don't hear allot of people talking about the trans and belt.  Any suggestions that can help an unknowing SESG owner out.......
1989 FLHS
1992 Fat Boy
2000 Road King
2003 Ultra
2008 Street Glide
2011 SESG

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53499.0

Happy reading.

If yours is anything like mine 2011 FLTRUSE the gear ratio is a joke.  Changing out the tranny sprocket and belt (because you will not have enough adjustment) makes a healthy difference according to many.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=53499.0

Happy reading.

If yours is anything like mine 2011 FLTRUSE the gear ratio is a joke.  Changing out the tranny sprocket and belt (because you will not have enough adjustment) makes a healthy difference according to many.

And I've heard of several belt failures.  Don't know how prevalent it is but I've heard of several breaking. (on the internet, of course--LOL)
Steve

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »

Kirk, I assume they're talking about changing the 32t sprocket to 30t.  It can be done very easily using a stock belt.  HD_Dude and Fullsac Steve have done it and there's been quite a bit of discussion on the subject here.  Basically, you'd lengthen the axle slot on the swing arm a few millimeters.

I had HD_Dude (jim) replace my sprocket, and the difference in feel is like getting 5-10% more power; not a huge difference, but you'll definitely feel it.  It will add a few hundred rpm at any given speed, so cruising at 75 mph initially felt kinda like I was in 5th gear when it was in sixth.

Also, make sure the SERT can compensate for the speedometer error caused by the changed gearing.  I traded to a TTS Mastertune to correct speedometer calibration. 

As far as reliability, it should make no difference at all.

Good luck,

Dan

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:31:59 AM »

I have a 2011 SESG....only performance mods have been a SE race tuner, VH X-pipe and RH performance mufflers.  I am looking for more of a kick out of the engine. I want the same thrill and kick I used to get out of my 2008 SG 103 built...I loved the performance of the mild 103 with it's pull.  The dealer has many options for me all across the $$$$$ range.  The service manager says I can bring to life the 110 with some head work to help the stock cam, add a 2 into 1 pro pipe and here is where I have a concern......they want to change the trans gearing. sprocket and belt to get better use of the power to the rear wheel. Has any body tried this.....I am worried about the reliability.  People always talk about the engine work they do; I don't hear allot of people talking about the trans and belt.  Any suggestions that can help an unknowing SESG owner out.......

Kirk,

Based on where your screen name says home is for you. I'm suggesting you contact Aaron Harp @ Kutter Harley in Janesville, Wi  608-757-0880 (Not that far from you) Aaron is a extremely knowledgable engine builder & tuner. Extremely easy to talk to & won't steer you wrong.  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:08:52 AM »

Aaron will get you rolling.
Scott

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.