Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTF is wrong with our kids......  (Read 832 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
WTF is wrong with our kids......
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:35:40 PM »

ok, not literaly "our" kids, but having a 16 yr old girl this just blows my mind

from Time magazine:

Pregnancy Boom at Gloucester High
Wednesday, Jun. 18, 2008 By KATHLEEN KINGSBURY

As summer vacation begins, 17 girls at Gloucester High School are expecting babies—more than four times the number of pregnancies the 1,200-student school had last year. Some adults dismissed the statistic as a blip. Others blamed hit movies like Juno and Knocked Up for glamorizing young unwed mothers. But principal Joseph Sullivan knows at least part of the reason there's been such a spike in teen pregnancies in this Massachusetts fishing town. School officials started looking into the matter as early as October after an unusual number of girls began filing into the school clinic to find out if they were pregnant. By May, several students had returned multiple times to get pregnancy tests, and on hearing the results, "some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Sullivan says. All it took was a few simple questions before nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together. Then the story got worse. "We found out one of the fathers is a 24-year-old homeless guy," the principal says, shaking his head.

The question of what to do next has divided this fiercely Catholic enclave. Even with national data showing a 3% rise in teen pregnancies in 2006—the first increase in 15 years—Gloucester isn't sure it wants to provide easier access to birth control. In any case, many residents worry that the problem goes much deeper. The past decade has been difficult for this mostly white, mostly blue-collar city (pop. 30,000). In Gloucester, perched on scenic Cape Ann, the economy has always depended on a strong fishing industry. But in recent years, such jobs have all but disappeared overseas, and with them much of the community's wherewithal. "Families are broken," says school superintendent Christopher Farmer. "Many of our young people are growing up directionless."

The girls who made the pregnancy pact—some of whom, according to Sullivan, reacted to the news that they were expecting with high fives and plans for baby showers—declined to be interviewed. So did their parents. But Amanda Ireland, who graduated from Gloucester High on June 8, thinks she knows why these girls wanted to get pregnant. Ireland, 18, gave birth her freshman year and says some of her now pregnant schoolmates regularly approached her in the hall, remarking how lucky she was to have a baby. "They're so excited to finally have someone to love them unconditionally," Ireland says. "I try to explain it's hard to feel loved when an infant is screaming to be fed at 3 a.m."

The high school has done perhaps too good a job of embracing young mothers. Sex-ed classes end freshman year at Gloucester, where teen parents are encouraged to take their children to a free on-site day-care center. Strollers mingle seamlessly in school hallways among cheerleaders and junior ROTC. "We're proud to help the mothers stay in school," says Sue Todd, CEO of Pathways for Children, which runs the day-care center.

But by May, after nurse practitioner Kim Daly had administered some 150 pregnancy tests at Gloucester High's student clinic, she and the clinic's medical director, Dr. Brian Orr, a local pediatrician, began to advocate prescribing contraceptives regardless of parental consent, a practice at about 15 public high schools in Massachusetts. Currently Gloucester teens must travel about 20 miles (30 km) to reach the nearest women's health clinic; younger girls have to get a ride or take the train and walk. But the notion of a school handing out birth control pills has met with hostility. Says Mayor Carolyn Kirk: "Dr. Orr and Ms. Daly have no right to decide this for our children." The pair resigned in protest on May 30.

Gloucester's elected school committee plans to vote later this summer on whether to provide contraceptives. But that won't do much to solve the issue of teens wanting to get pregnant. Says rising junior Kacia Lowe, who is a classmate of the pactmakers': "No one's offered them a better option." And better options may be a tall order in a city so uncertain of its future. —with reporting by Kimberley McLeod/New York

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
Re: WTF is wrong with our kids......
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

Lack of parenting 
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »

Lack of parenting 

BINGO !!!!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 02:06:35 PM »

Lack of parenting 

that only goes so far to explaining this story.... got an entire community with there collective heads up there a$$es
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »

Didn't you read the article...the solution is giving them birth control pills...

yeah, right, that will work when a child decides they want to be pregnant...

ID10Ts
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »

With a bit of paraphrasing for the sake of my CRS, here's the gist of a conversation I had with my daughters when they were 6 and 8. The conversation got repeated at least once a year

" I'm the Dad, I earn the money to pay the bills. If you do as I say, I promise you will have a good life, grow up happy, be well adjusted, popular in school, go to college and reach adulthood as well adjusted mature young women. I will always love you no matter what. My love for both of you is unconditional HOWEVER, if you do not do as I say, you're lives will be a living hell "

All I can say is it worked. They are now 26 and 24. The 26 year old is in her 4th and final year of medical school. She is #1 in her class at the University of Michigan Medical School. She graduated from UC Berkeley with high honors earning two degrees. One in Microbiology and one in French. She served a one year Fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda between Berkeley and Med School. The 24 year old graduated from San Francisco State University with a degree in History. She made the Dean's list each and every semester of her four years. She has been accepted to the Master's Degree program at Columbia University and begins school again in August. If you ask either of them they will tell you they had great childhoods and are happy and content with their lives. They dated, had their own cars in high school, went on trips, spent a year apiece in Europe while in college and have led privileged lives. Their Dad was a strict SOB but as adults they understand why and have thanked him many times for it.

Sorry to go off on a big Brag about my kids but I do take a bit of the credit for them turning out the way they did. I love them totally, completely, unconditionally and without exception but having made some of the bonehead mistakes I made, I was determined that they would not.

B B

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »

I love them totally, completely, unconditionally and without exception
B B

And in those wise words lies the answer, and somehow you conveyed that to them so they didn't go looking elsewhere for it.  Good job!

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:42:22 PM »

With a bit of paraphrasing for the sake of my CRS, here's the gist of a conversation I had with my daughters when they were 6 and 8. The conversation got repeated at least once a year

" I'm the Dad, I earn the money to pay the bills. If you do as I say, I promise you will have a good life, grow up happy, be well adjusted, popular in school, go to college and reach adulthood as well adjusted mature young women. I will always love you no matter what. My love for both of you is unconditional HOWEVER, if you do not do as I say, you're lives will be a living hell "

All I can say is it worked. They are now 26 and 24. The 26 year old is in her 4th and final year of medical school. She is #1 in her class at the University of Michigan Medical School. She graduated from UC Berkeley with high honors earning two degrees. One in Microbiology and one in French. She served a one year Fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda between Berkeley and Med School. The 24 year old graduated from San Francisco State University with a degree in History. She made the Dean's list each and every semester of her four years. She has been accepted to the Master's Degree program at Columbia University and begins school again in August. If you ask either of them they will tell you they had great childhoods and are happy and content with their lives. They dated, had their own cars in high school, went on trips, spent a year apiece in Europe while in college and have led privileged lives. Their Dad was a strict SOB but as adults they understand why and have thanked him many times for it.

Sorry to go off on a big Brag about my kids but I do take a bit of the credit for them turning out the way they did. I love them totally, completely, unconditionally and without exception but having made some of the bonehead mistakes I made, I was determined that they would not.

B B
You have every reason to be proud !!! and to let others know it works. More families need to work with there kids and make them responsible adults
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

B B

Fantastic Brian......good approach.......to many of us want to be our kids best friends and that will not work.....we are the Parents and need to be strong even if we feel the pain of being the bad guy
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.