Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Zillow.com  (Read 11081 times)

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
Re: Zillow.com
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:35:01 PM »

Check this out yet?

our neighborhood may or may not be "detailed" yet.

In the right areas you can literally "fly down the street" looking in a 360 view - up down etc.

Try it.

Try this link for starters.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/15-Hickory-St-Metuchen-NJ-08840-_rb/

After it loads you have several view options (street aerial or hybrid) check them all.

But, if you click on the balloon box address it will take you to a street level view of the neighborhood that you can fly around in - look 360 up- down.

Interesting and a little disturbing.

If you zoom in far enough you will see that these are Google images.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 11:38:31 PM »

Check this out yet?

our neighborhood may or may not be "detailed" yet.

In the right areas you can literally "fly down the street" looking in a 360 view - up down etc.

Try it.

Try this link for starters.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/map/15-Hickory-St-Metuchen-NJ-08840-_rb/

After it loads you have several view options (street aerial or hybrid) check them all.

But, if you click on the balloon box address it will take you to a street level view of the neighborhood that you can fly around in - look 360 up- down.

Interesting and a little disturbing.

Zillow is awesome...been using it for years.  The wife takes great pleasure in looking at the house we sold in Fredericksburg that has dropped 70k from what we sold it at.  We are in the one of the few places in the US that is up - my house has increased since Jul 07 when we moved here.  Hope it stays up a few months longer, unless I get tagged for the Afghanistan thing that is brewing, we are moving this summer still.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »

If you zoom in far enough you will see that these are Google images.

In some instances yes and in other no.  My old house in Texas are Google images.  My present house in Kansas are Microsoft Virtual Earth.  Google does not give you the detail Microsoft does.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:58:37 PM by dmnrdn »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »

Microsoft and Goggle allow you to remove your address. I'm curious if these requests are picked up with Zillow??? :nixweiss:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 08:39:14 AM »

what happens when you remove the address? the picture is a blank or it just doesn't; search to the house number?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »

My guess is that uses locally available public records and compiles them.  If you wish to avoid having it public on the internet the only way out of it is to not be a property owner.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Sean M Cary

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »

what happens when you remove the address? the picture is a blank or it just doesn't; search to the house number?
its a mashup of google earth and the MLS.

If you want to change it, take ownership of the house and you can make changes.  It will ask you about loans you have/had on the house to confirm your identity.

We used it to sell our last house...  Check out 12005 Setter Drive, 22407 and you can we added pics etc to it.  That was our last house...you can see what we paid/sold it for etc.  It's all from the MLS.

Sean

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »

Did some research on Zillow last night. Appears the FTC is getting ready to shut them down, and also looks like several lawsuits are developing. The biggest issue, Zillow misrepresents property values by as much as 20%. And there are some invasion of privacy issues too. This one will be fun to watch,, and the people AGAINST Zillow have my support   :2vrolijk_21:

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

I will let you know the outcome of this.

I signed up for an account on Zillow and then did the Ask a Question thing and asked to have the photos of my house removed.    I received an ansere from a lady called IC that all I had to do was Claim my house and then leave a note via the original thread that i had do so.  Supposedly they will now remove the photos's  Will keep you informed.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 09:21:12 PM »

Did some research on Zillow last night. Appears the FTC is getting ready to shut them down, and also looks like several lawsuits are developing. The biggest issue, Zillow misrepresents property values by as much as 20%. And there are some invasion of privacy issues too. This one will be fun to watch,, and the people AGAINST Zillow have my support   :2vrolijk_21:

Not sure how they misrepresent when they only put an estimate out - based on the average square foot price of the houses in the area that have been sold.  Its take right from the MLS.

The only folks I can see getting upset about this are folks in the industry since it gives folks the ability to judge the value of their houses.  Ours was dead on for the current house I live in, to the dollar - and that was based on a tax appraisal and an appraiser before we closed on the loan.

I also don't get the privacy issues - the MLS is public record.  I could get more with a trip to the court house.

Sean

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 10:07:51 PM »

Not sure how they misrepresent when they only put an estimate out - based on the average square foot price of the houses in the area that have been sold.  Its take right from the MLS.

The only folks I can see getting upset about this are folks in the industry since it gives folks the ability to judge the value of their houses.  Ours was dead on for the current house I live in, to the dollar - and that was based on a tax appraisal and an appraiser before we closed on the loan.

I also don't get the privacy issues - the MLS is public record.  I could get more with a trip to the court house.

Sean

As I stated in earlier post, they have the square footage off on my house along with a lot of other aspects including outbuildings and massive landscaping we have done. More then likely they took information off the original floor plan originally approved by my city for my lot, which they obviously never picked up on.  Nevertheless, i know i can go to Zillow and make all the changes i want to correct this, BUT, i do not wish to register on theirs site do this, it is my business not theirs. Besides, i don't need anymore trash email sent to me on a daily basis.

I read many positive comments last night about Zillow, and 90 percent of those came from the realtor market. Personally, i do not trust realtors, I've always done just fine selling and buying without there greedy help, and believe me, i have saved many dollars as a result.  I doesn't bother me what Zillow does, but it does bother me that they don't give me a choice wheather i want my property posted or not on their site. I've been trying to contact them but no luck.

I also find it amusing that the FTC agrees with my point to the effect they are pursing to shut Zillow down, must be a lot of folks that feel the same way i do. :nixweiss:

Also, did i mention the license number in my vehicle is noticeable on one of the panorama pictures posted on Zillow?... Now i call that is invasion of privacy!!!!!!  >:(

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »

I'm amazed at the number of places I've typed in that aren't in the database.

I tried 1/2 dozen addresses for friends and family in Maine and came up empty.

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 11:05:21 PM »

Also, did i mention the license number in my vehicle is noticeable on one of the panorama pictures posted on Zillow?... Now i call that is invasion of privacy!!!!!!  >:(

that's google earth - not zillow gathering that information...  Zillow just does a mashup of current sources, none of it is their own creation.

I like it, I move a lot and it gives me another form of data to assist in my frequent moves.

I would hate to see it go away.

Sean

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:48 PM »

Well Zillow proved what a bunch of scum buckets they are.  Ice said she would remove the photos's then some other person said no because it is public records.  My response was hiding behind the old "it is public record" phrase is a cop for being responsible.

I am sure they will be hit with class action just like Google and others have been over this kind of BS.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:42 AM »

that's google earth - not zillow gathering that information...  Zillow just does a mashup of current sources, none of it is their own creation.

I like it, I move a lot and it gives me another form of data to assist in my frequent moves.

I would hate to see it go away.

Sean

Don't think we can point the finger on Goggle Earth on this one.. I went to Goggle Earth and keyed in my address. The best i can get is a very fuzzy overhead view om my property. The panoramic views cant be found anywhere. Also got the same results on Microsoft's Virtual Earth, so I'm pointing all fingers at Zillow   >:(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.