Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IS IT JUST MY PC?  (Read 1041 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
IS IT JUST MY PC?
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »

I recently changed my bundle package with Charter and decided to drop down from 25mb/s to 18mb/s download speed to save a few bucks.  I was thinking that this would not "greatly" affect my perusing websites and forums.... but!

I'm not sure, but on or shortly after my switch to the new "slightly" slower download speed, my browsing here on CVO-Harley, my screen openings are very slow.  What's even worse is when I right click to go back a page and it takes sometimes 5 to 10 seconds compared to before when it basically went back as fast as I clicked the mouse button.

I've done some house cleaning on the puter and it made some very slight differences, but my viewing here seems to be the only major slow down.

My puter is a new i7 Quad Core @ 3.6, 12 gig of Corsair DDR3-1600 ram, latest Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard supporting USB3, GeForce GTX460 1 gig GDDR5 3D video with Internet running direct CAT-5, not wireless.

Anyone else see this for about the past two weeks?

Just asking...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
Re: IS IT JUST MY PC?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »

Nope  :nixweiss: All good here..I run Wireless internet thru Cell Phone towers With no lag..( live in an area with no cable)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »

Dan, go to a site with a net performance measuring utility and see what you're actually getting for upload and download speeds.  Use that data to then be able to "speak" with your service provider as they almost never meet anywhere near the promised upload and download speeds.  However....

Some of your issue at least initially sounds like a local problem.  Paging back to see a previous screen should come from the local cache.  That's local to you.  So it's worth checking things out a bit in the o/s and the browser also.

One of the many net performance measuring utilities is at www.speakeasy.net .

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »

I recently changed my bundle package with Charter and decided to drop down from 25mb/s to 18mb/s download speed to save a few bucks.  I was thinking that this would not "greatly" affect my perusing websites and forums.... but!

I'm not sure, but on or shortly after my switch to the new "slightly" slower download speed, my browsing here on CVO-Harley, my screen openings are very slow.  What's even worse is when I right click to go back a page and it takes sometimes 5 to 10 seconds compared to before when it basically went back as fast as I clicked the mouse button.

I've done some house cleaning on the puter and it made some very slight differences, but my viewing here seems to be the only major slow down.

My puter is a new i7 Quad Core @ 3.6, 12 gig of Corsair DDR3-1600 ram, latest Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard supporting USB3, GeForce GTX460 1 gig GDDR5 3D video with Internet running direct CAT-5, not wireless.

Anyone else see this for about the past two weeks?

Just asking...

Dan,

Run a speed test, just Google and you will find a slew of them.. 18mbs is pretty decent and defiantly a lot faster then any of the Cellular WiFI or MiFi networks.. Most broadband companies average their speeds they sell you over a 24 hr. period. And most broadband companies will set up their service node pockets with no more then 250 homes per node, some even at 500 homes.  During busy periods the node network will slow down. If your home is in a busy node then your service will crawl during times when everybody gets on their computers. Try running a speed test several times a day noting the time and speed.. if your service drops a few hours and during peak periods of the day then your stuck but if the service lacks more then 30% then you should call your broadband company and complain and also share your test information. Most reputable broadband companies will adjust the traffic in busy node areas once it is brought to their attention. If they dont then log a complaint with the FCC on their Web site. The FCC takes Broadband complaints very seriously will alert the Broadband company to correct their networks. If you dont complain, you wont get anywhere, but make sure you do your research to prove the issue..   :2vrolijk_21:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I will research my speeds at different sites as well as different times during the day.

Don, yes you are right about the page back button, it should be local in my ram or temp folders for easy replay when accessed.

I'll do some checking on the internals as well as the speeds through the Internet.

Thanks again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »

I've run into similar issues Dan, more so over the past few weeks.  I can be navigating just fine, then click an internal site link or the next page in a thread and get a long delay.  The same occurs occasionally when using the back button.  I don't remember having this issue on the site until recently, and other than the regular Microsoft updates (often degrades) my computer and internet service haven't changed.  It's usually at a time when there are a lot of folks logged on to the site.

I've also noticed that I get page errors, like this one showing in my status bar right now:
Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)
Timestamp: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 17:41:28 UTC

Message: 'document.postmodify.smfbuytype' is null or not an object
Line: 381
Char: 2
Code: 0
URI: http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=65470.0;num_replies=4

Probably not related to your problem, just thought I'd mention it.  With all the different browsers and software packages these days, compatibility issues can easily crop up every time a site is updated or upgraded or a user updates his browser. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »

I run Crap Cleaner its free and will rid your system of crap. it will also fix unwanted registry issues .. all this can slow a PC

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »

I run Crap Cleaner its free and will rid your system of crap. it will also fix unwanted registry issues .. all this can slow a PC

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

I ra CCleaner before I posted the issue I'm having.

I did some speed tests and got download speeds from 12 m/s to 24 m/s. Upload was west slower speeds from 1.7 m/s to 2.6 m/s. These test sites are not very consistent, one to another.

I'll try more research on the internal aspect of my puter but my backup desktop does almost the same thing when page back right clicking.

If anyone has any other suggestions or are having similar slow operations, post and let me know.

Thanks again to all the comments and tips.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.