Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for help finding a Steering Dampner for 2005 SEEG  (Read 1060 times)

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI2
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • My CVO Bikes
Looking for help finding a Steering Dampner for 2005 SEEG
« on: December 06, 2009, 02:06:46 AM »

I have this steering and handle bar wobble when going into hard turns at high RPM and high speeds. Sometimes even when just going straight and hit a groove in the road.  It's a little hairy, and doesn't feel well!  I know the Bike isn't really made to do this type of riding (the cornering part). But That's how I ride.  I have been going crazy looking for a Steering Dampner for a few years, just like the one that they put on the new trikes.  But HD wants over $800 for their kit.  Which is crazy.  There has to be a place to get one.  I know someone out there might know.  I purchased a really nice one for only $99.00 with free shipping from BK-Riders. (Nice folks, they are letting me return it, without the standard restocking fee)

http://www.bkrider.com/Bkrider/product.aspx?Sku=1001416

The only problem with it, is that it is designed for Ultras and Electraglides.  Non SE types.  Since the SE is  lowered by about 2", the Dampner, which is mounted in a way that the adjustment rod comes out in front, under the lower triple tree and fairing.  It will hit the front fender if you hit a large bump.  And they tell you that up front, in the installation instructions (see video link above) And I don't want to go through that.

I would appreciate any input as to where to find one!  Thanks much! :o :o :-[
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:11:48 AM by SE Junkie »
It's all about the ride & the people you ride with.

2005 FLHTCSE2, Luxury & Teal Green, AKA: SEEG

2001 FLTRSEI2- WAS 100% stock, Black, Platinum silver & Charcoal, AKA: SERG.

2009 FLTRSE3, Stardust Silver & Titanium Dust, AKA: SERG.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
Re: Looking for help finding a Steering Dampner for 2005 SEEG
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:53:45 AM »

Have you checked you neck bearings? You sure its the front end and not the rear swing arm were most finf this problem? Just checking before you may spend money were its not needed.    All motor mounts also?   Doc

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Looking for help finding a Steering Dampner for 2005 SEEG
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »

If you've gone over the rest of the bike as John mentioned, the HD setup is expensive, but not as expensive as you claim here. The damper alone, made by Ohlins (expensive company-but RGS) was $408. The rest of the parts were about $50-$75 from what I remember. About 500 bucks for the entire setup including brackets and hardware. What I don't like about it is that the damper is non-adjustable. I've got one from Progressive to (a nice chrome one instead of anodized aluminum like the Ohlins), but there doesn't appear to be a good clean way to mount it. I'm going to try to use the Triglide bracketry to mount the Progressive damper and see if that works out too. ;)

Here's a thread I started on the TriGlide steering damper. Have the whole bike checked. If something's out, a damper won't fix that! Good luck man! :2vrolijk_21:

TriGlide Steering Damper on an '07 SERK!

Check this thread out too!

Is This the Fix for Front End Wobble on Baggers?

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:13:30 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 25 queries.