Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any one trailer a springer?  (Read 3863 times)

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
Any one trailer a springer?
« on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »

I just pulled the trigger on a 2007 cvo softail springer.    Now I have to go 500 miles to get it.   I plan on trailering it back and have a good bike trailer.   Question is how do you tie down a springer?   Any one done this?   Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.   I know, why not ride it.   I am bringing it back to Michigan in October and I have gotten a little smarter with age.   8)
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

Rab986

• 2007 FXSTSSE
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

Re: Any one trailer a springer?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »

See attached, BOOM!!

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »

I saw that after I made the post.   My concern is he is strapping on chrome.   The cvo springer has paint instead of chrome where the strap is.  Am I being overly cautious?   
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

Rab986

• 2007 FXSTSSE
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »

This is how I strapped mine down, and no, I do not think you are being overly cautious. I actually went to an open parts house near where I was at, bought 4 large chamois and folded up as protection between the strap and the paint on both the forks and the frame strapping locations. My trailer ride was 200 miles (flat tire on a sunday) and had no signs of paint damage when I got home.

If you dont have one, I would invest in a front wheel lock or at least two pieces of channel that that will help hold the front end straight during your long drive/haul. I'm not sure how your roads are but Oklahoma roads play hell on keeping the front wheel straight with no support. (see attached) I bought a cheap one at harbor freight and it works great.

Good luck with getting the new bike, looking forward to some pics.
-Steve

CaptG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »

I like the chamois idea.   I will pick up 4 tomorrow.   I do have a front wheel chock similar in design to yours mounted on my trailer.   Thanks much for the info.   It helps a lot.   When I get bike home I will post pictures.   
Gary

2007 CVO  FXSTSSE

2006 VRSCR Street Rod

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »

I have always used soft-ties off the handlebars and compressed the suspension no problems.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 07:32:54 AM »

Or, you could avoid all the hassle and worry on damage to paint by using one of these:

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/biker-bar/biker-bar-product

I've been looking for a trailer for a few months now (still looking btw).  I have decided on what I'm using for mounting, however.  There are lots of videos on YouTube on this product including some very good reviews.  I visited the vendor tent for the Biker Bar in Sturgis this past August and the in person demo sold me on it.  They had a couple of bikes as demos with one being a springer.  The thing is built like a tank.  That's where I'm headed when I finally do have a trailer.

Also got to see one of these operate and this would be my second choice for securing using a wheel chock behind the Biker Bar without one:
https://wheeldock.com/products/wheeldock?variant=26294025411

Good luck and enjoy that new springer!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »

That biker bar deal will NOT hold a bike securely bolted to a plywood or fiberglass floor. You r playing with fire if you have much of an impact. A 900+ # bike fastened to plywood... Wil ping pong inside that trailer.
If someone decides to use one of these you need to make a metal sub-frame under trailer that is welded or securely bolted in.
A Condor (or similiar) with at least four tiedowns  to hooks situated to thru bolt to trailer metal crossmembers is much more secure & a lot easier to use.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »

You might contact JC. I believe he is using the Biker Bar and could give you some useful info on it.

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »

Plus one on the condor wheel chock. I trailered my springer from Miami to Montreal a few years back when I moved up. What I discovered is you need to really tighten down the bike or it will fall over. What I ended up doing is tightening the front end as low as I could. Hope this helps.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

ghost183

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 03:24:36 PM »

hey fellas, food for thought

i used a biker bar, wasnt mine, was already attached to the trailer i borrowed to trailer a fatboy,

bike was secure, no issues there, but i didnt have that warm comfy feeling, its nerve racking watching your bike tilt left right and move slightly back and forth under braking,

we who trailer somewhat often, are used to seeing the bike SOLID on the trailer,, not moving around
2008 CVO FXSTSSE2, Stage 1 port, milled .030 + 030 MLS, 11cc domed pistons, W-777's, Fueling 7060 HP+, TMAX, Barnett Clutch, SE Comp, V&H Big Radius 2-2 with smartpartz baffles and DK torque discs, Shotgun Air Ride, Vulcan 4.5* rake,, Chromed front legs

Page created in 4.212 seconds with 26 queries.