Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: FLHXSE2 Oil  (Read 4668 times)

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP
FLHXSE2 Oil
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »

I have a FLHXSE2 and was wondering what people thought of different oils?  Amsoil, Royal Purple, Harley synthetic?  Any others?  After 2000mile break in or latter?  Good place to get a good price on the oil, etc.
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Re: FLHXSE2 Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »

If you choose Amsoil you can get a commerial account at no charge. I pay around $8 a quart thru my account.
 Gary

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »

Amsoil 20-50, nothing else :)  I change at 1000, then 4000 and every 3000 miles there after.  I also use Amsoil 20-50 in the primary and Amsoil Severe Gear Oil 75-110 in the Tranny EVERY TIME I CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL! I also use K & N oil filters exclusively.  They have a 17 mm nut on the end and it makes oil changes much easier!

G

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:03 AM »

Gary, can that commercial account be set up online? If not, then how? That's good intel, that I'd like to exploit.
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:40 AM »

Has anyone tried the metal reusable oil filters?
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »

Has anyone tried the metal reusable oil filters?

I have one......I spent $200.00 on it.  Bought a second filter insert as well as extra gaskets, just to have them.  They work and also act as a quasi oil cooler.  For me, it was just a PITA because I use a scavenger and I had to take the baseplate off to use the scavenger.  If you are interested in it, I'd be happy to work out a deal with you on it :)

Glenn

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »

Gary, can that commercial account be set up online? If not, then how? That's good intel, that I'd like to exploit.

I think so. It's easy. I need to go to work. When I get home I'll get you the info.
 Gary

Old Harley Dude

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE, Spiced Rum
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:44:24 PM »

I have a FLHXSE2 and was wondering what people thought of different oils?  Amsoil, Royal Purple, Harley synthetic?  Any others?  After 2000mile break in or latter?  Good place to get a good price on the oil, etc.

Take a look at Redline oils.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

As to the question of being able to setup an account with Amsoil you can do that on line on there website. I use Amsoil in the motor and Redline in the P&T. My best friend uses Redline in his motor 20/60 and he loves it.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »

Hey Doc, the guy that set up my account is David Reid. Here is his web site: http://synthetic-solutions.com/contact.htm
Call him and he can give you all the info you will need.
In the mean time I just received an email from Amsoil saying they are having a small price increase on certain products. You can bet it's on there most popular product, engine oil.
Last year I was paying $6.50 a quart. Now about $8. Wonder what the small increase is. If you contact David, ask him to comment on the recent increases.
 Gary

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Everyone you ask will say that the oil they use is the best, so I am just going to say I have owned 6 H-D's, I always use Mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 in the engine and primary chaincase and Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube in the trans. I personally have never had a H-D that used any oil or had a lubricated part fail! Good luck/oil?  It can be purchased at most Autozone, Advanced auto parts even at some H-D dealers for arount 9 bucks a quart.  I am not saying it's the best oil ever, just always worked for me. Hope this helps.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 11:50:35 PM »

I suspect ones as good as another. I use Amsoil because it's cheaper. But it is rising in price.
 Gary

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:28 PM »

Mobil 1 20w/50w in the motor, Redline Shockproof in the trans.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »

Alright Guys, the oil question can go round and round...  But what about this idea:

HD carries a two year unlimitied mileage Warranty on the engine.  Wouldn't that make them want to use the BEST SYNTHETIC oil available on the market?  I cannot shoot holes in this arguement, so why not use HD Synthetic, what the maker chooses??????????? :nixweiss:

A couple bucks either way on a $10,000 engine is not going to influence me on which oil.  Simple, use the one the Warranty carrier uses?

Cowboy 2 in Oz...

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »

Cowboy2, Every couple years H-D puts out for bid the right to produce the oil for them, the company that meets the specs with the lowest price gets to be the supplier of oil to the Motor Co. So as in most big company's it's all about the most profit!! It's not the oil they think is the best it's the oil that MEETS the specs @ the lowest cost to them. John

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

Amsoil 20-50, nothing else :)  I change at 1000, then 4000 and every 3000 miles there after.  I also use Amsoil 20-50 in the primary and Amsoil Severe Gear Oil 75-110 in the Tranny EVERY TIME I CHANGE THE ENGINE OIL! I also use K & N oil filters exclusively.  They have a 17 mm nut on the end and it makes oil changes much easier!

G
Waste of money, IMO.  With today's engines, there's no need to change the oil every 2500-3000 miles, especially with a quality synthetic.  I follow the 5000 mile maintenance recommended in the manual, and haven't had any issues to date.  (By the way, I use Mobil 1 V-Twin in all three areas.)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »

Waste of money, IMO.  With today's engines, there's no need to change the oil every 2500-3000 miles, especially with a quality synthetic.  I follow the 5000 mile maintenance recommended in the manual, and haven't had any issues to date.  (By the way, I use Mobil 1 V-Twin in all three areas.)

I love wasting money.......My 2011 Kryptonite CVO Streetglide (if it ever arrives) will be my 6th HD purchased since the 09 model year. 

G

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »

Everyone you ask will say that the oil they use is the best, so I am just going to say I have owned 6 H-D's, I always use Mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 in the engine and primary chaincase and Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube in the trans. I personally have never had a H-D that used any oil or had a lubricated part fail! Good luck/oil?  It can be purchased at most Autozone, Advanced auto parts even at some H-D dealers for arount 9 bucks a quart.  I am not saying it's the best oil ever, just always worked for me. Hope this helps.

I use Mobil Twin V 20w-50 as well. I used to get it from Advance Auto Parts on sale, but they don't ship oil anymore. Anyone know where I can get it for around $8 where they ship?

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »

I love wasting money.......My 2011 Kryptonite CVO Streetglide (if it ever arrives) will be my 6th HD purchased since the 09 model year. 

G

Have you given any thought to some type of counselling?
 Gary

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

There's a 12 Step Program for this behaviour. :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »

G
Dayum!   :o  Heck, with that kind of liquid assets available, you don't even need to change oil.  Just throw the bike away when you've got 5K miles on it and buy a new one.   ::)

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »

Dayum!   :o  Heck, with that kind of liquid assets available, you don't even need to change oil.  Just throw the bike away when you've got 5K miles on it and buy a new one.   ::)

[/quote
Devil,

That's actually very funny.  In July, I rode from Long Island to Nova Scotia with 10 of my buddy's.  The roads were so bad that my 2010 Streetglide got a few stone chips on the fairing. When I got home,  I GOT RID OF THE BIKE :)

G

rocrider50

• Let's Ride

• CVO1: 2011 FLHX SE2 Black Diamond Crimson Tag
    • CVO2: 2008 Ultra 105HP
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »

Found a study on 20w-50 motorcycle oils that rates Amsoil amd Mobil 1 the best MC oils.  HD oil is way down the pack.  Low bidder on the oil doesn't mean the beast I guess.  If I can figure out how to upload the 38 page study I will share.  Seems like  the Amsoil and Mobil 1 fans were right.   :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno:
Looking for modification tips for the FLHX SE2 if you have any.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »

Found a study on 20w-50 motorcycle oils that rates Amsoil amd Mobil 1 the best MC oils.  HD oil is way down the pack.  Low bidder on the oil doesn't mean the beast I guess.  If I can figure out how to upload the 38 page study I will share.  Seems like  the Amsoil and Mobil 1 fans were right.   :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno:

That study is already on the site in one or more older threads.  And the SYN3 oil was rated 4th if I remember correctly, so it's not as bad as many make it out to be.  I personally prefer Mobil 1, for a couple reasons, but I wouldn't lose sleep if I had to use SYN 3.  And that study didn't test all the available motorcycle oils.  I don't remember seeing anything from Redline, for instance.

Use a readily available oil that meets all of the manufacturer's specifications, maintain the levels, and change it at the recommended intervals.  Add in a quality oil filter, and I can assure you that any failures you experience won't be the fault of the oil.  The best and most expensive oil in the known universe won't keep a Harley from beating itself to death.  That would require better design and manufacturing quality levels from Harley.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »

While I appreciate the comment about BIG BUSINESS bidding out the oil for the cheapest that meets their specs....

I think that skimping and big business being cheap, is not an accurate view...  You would not quibble of the .0001% cost when you have to carry the Warranty on a very hot running 1803 cc air cooled engine?????   I am a fair Businessman with 48 Employees, and if there was a better oil for a dollar or two more, and I was carrying an UNLIMITED MILES Two year Warranty on a big air cooled motor well subject to abuse??  NO WAY!!!!

I would not skimp in any way.  That puts the Syn 3 Harley oil up there on my list.  At 5000 mile oil changes even, it should be as good as needed.  Now, I have no idea on cost on the Harley Oil for you Guys over there, my point is more of one that THEY are best at choosing the most practical oil IMO...  You have to respect the one carrying the unlimited mileage two year warranty, as I don't know about you but my 110 c.i. runs HOT as it breaks in. 

Maybe there are oils that test higher, but it may be that they are just not necessary on the 5000 mi change.  I just cannot see the carrier of the Warranty skimping on lifeblood oil...  sorry....   :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 11:09:14 PM »

While I appreciate the comment about BIG BUSINESS bidding out the oil for the cheapest that meets their specs....

I think that skimping and big business being cheap, is not an accurate view...  You would not quibble of the .0001% cost when you have to carry the Warranty on a very hot running 1803 cc air cooled engine?????   I am a fair Businessman with 48 Employees, and if there was a better oil for a dollar or two more, and I was carrying an UNLIMITED MILES Two year Warranty on a big air cooled motor well subject to abuse??  NO WAY!!!!

I would not skimp in any way.  That puts the Syn 3 Harley oil up there on my list.  At 5000 mile oil changes even, it should be as good as needed.  Now, I have no idea on cost on the Harley Oil for you Guys over there, my point is more of one that THEY are best at choosing the most practical oil IMO...  You have to respect the one carrying the unlimited mileage two year warranty, as I don't know about you but my 110 c.i. runs HOT as it breaks in. 

Maybe there are oils that test higher, but it may be that they are just not necessary on the 5000 mi change.  I just cannot see the carrier of the Warranty skimping on lifeblood oil...  sorry....   :nixweiss:
Why not?? They've skimped on so many other things/parts... Look at how many parts are outsourced to China... why are many having Crank runout problems because of poor design (cheap parts), etc., etc. Even though they (MoCo) offers an unlimited mileage two year warranty the majority of riders average 5k/year... they (MoCo) are hedging their bets on that majority and willing to take a risk on those that ride more and hoping the bikes hold up.

Bottom line it's your bike, your money... do what you feel comfortable with. :2vrolijk_21: For me I'm not going to believe just because the MoCo says it's good and they use it/put their name on it, it's going to be the best thing for my bike... ain't drinking that "kool-aid". :no:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »

I'm with you on that one Dood...I'm using Amsoil myself, but I'm surprised that no one's using Royal Purple. I thought that was supposed to be the end all be all of mc oils, but looking at that chart I'd say that wasn't the case.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 02:20:03 AM by DOC.COFFIN »

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »

Alright Guys, point taken....

Exotic oils are a little harder to get here in Oz...  I am just a little taken back by the idea that you think so Bloody Poorly of HD, and yet you still have one.   Me, I love my scooter, the style, the look, the sound, the ride...  My 7th HD in almost 40 years.

I bought Z-1 Kawasaki in 1975, sold it at 7000 miles before it killed me.  No sound, no heart, no soul, no looks, no heritage... Went back to HD and have stayed since.   

I look at Victory, Honda, BMW, and just think NO WAY!!  I might do an Indian, but that about all and they are rare here.

Cheers.    :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »

Alright Guys, point taken....

Exotic oils are a little harder to get here in Oz...  I am just a little taken back by the idea that you think so Bloody Poorly of HD, and yet you still have one.   Me, I love my scooter, the style, the look, the sound, the ride...  My 7th HD in almost 40 years.

I bought Z-1 Kawasaki in 1975, sold it at 7000 miles before it killed me.  No sound, no heart, no soul, no looks, no heritage... Went back to HD and have stayed since.   

I look at Victory, Honda, BMW, and just think NO WAY!!  I might do an Indian, but that about all and they are rare here.

Cheers.    :2vrolijk_21:
I'm not thinking "poorly of HD" (hell my bike colors couldn't say more "HD" then any other color), however just like anything in life just because it has a particular name on it doesn't make it the best thing out. If that were the case their wouldn't be so many after market companies in business. Competition will create better products. :2vrolijk_21:

You hit the nail on the head here "No sound, no heart, no soul, no looks, no heritage..." (but hell... we have to change the pipes from OEM to get the sound :-X) and that is the biggest reason most of us are riding HD's.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

[/quote
Devil,

That's actually very funny.  In July, I rode from Long Island to Nova Scotia with 10 of my buddy's.  The roads were so bad that my 2010 Streetglide got a few stone chips on the fairing. When I got home,  I GOT RID OF THE BIKE :)

So what did i get out of this thread......buy a leather bra for the faring for long trips. ;D

G
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 21 queries.