Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: hid headlights  (Read 2567 times)

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
hid headlights
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »

just got some h8 and h11 headlights for my 2010 sesg but don't know which is high beam and which is low. Also does anyone know if you have to do anything special like other parts or are they just a plug and play. Thanks in advance Sugarbear
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: hid headlights
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »

just got some h8 and h11 headlights for my 2010 sesg but don't know which is high beam and which is low. Also does anyone know if you have to do anything special like other parts or are they just a plug and play. Thanks in advance Sugarbear

H8 is high beam and H11 low.  If they are HID bulbs there's probably not a difference between them though.  If they are HID bulbs there should be more than just the bulbs too.  You should have ballasts that are pieces separate from the bulbs.  The upgrade won't be directly plug and play as you'll have to hook up the new ballasts.

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »

H8 is high beam and H11 low.  If they are HID bulbs there's probably not a difference between them though.  If they are HID bulbs there should be more than just the bulbs too.  You should have ballasts that are pieces separate from the bulbs.  The upgrade won't be directly plug and play as you'll have to hook up the new ballasts.

I put two H8 in my 2011 SESG and they work fantastic.  The high beam is really more like a spare incase the low beam burns out; it doesn't add a lot of additional light and you really won't need it.  They both have ballasts.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

just got off of the phone with wixtech and they assured me the bulbs were plug and play so I guess I will try them. Thanks for the help. These are bulbs from wixtech so here's hoping they know what they are talking about
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »

just got off of the phone with wixtech and they assured me the bulbs were plug and play so I guess I will try them. Thanks for the help. These are bulbs from wixtech so here's hoping they know what they are talking about

Same question though.  Is it just bulbs?  Or bulbs and something else along with them?  If just bulbs they should be plug and play.  But they're not a HID kit.  Possibly or even likely some better brighter than stock light bulb.  Many of which are advertised as being with HID color ranges.  But they're still not HID lighting. 

Lucky88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG Kryptonite/Black Diamond
    • CVO3: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16:12 PM »

Sugar bear, can you post a picture of the kit you have? I am also interested in a HID/xenon coversion. I've seen kits as low as $60 for two bulbs and comes with the ignitors. Most intended for automotive. The kits adapt to motorcycles as well, you just have to specify the bulb type for proper fit. The ignitor/modules are compact enough to mount in a remote location without taking much space. I have the 'white' color range in my truck and works well. Most people buy the car kits and are good for two bikes, both just using lowbeams. I like keeping the stock 'halogen' for my high beams for instant flashing high beams when needed. Installing  the HID/xenon for high beams won't give you 'instant' effective lighting when flashing your highs, as the bulb takes time to warm up to reach maximum brightness.
2004 Honda RVT1000-(RC51) still in crate
2004 BMW K1200RS - Go anywhere bike
2006 BMW GS Adventure special edition -still in crate
2009 BMW HP2 Sport  #1-w/ABS- still in crate
2010 CVO SESG- Spiced Rum- wants to come out to play
2011 BMW HP2 Sport - Waiting for a Motorsport Edition-wishful thinking
2011 CVO SESG- Kryptonite- Finally arrived 2-21-11
2011.5 CVO Ultra Classic- Blue or Red? ...BLUE! arrived 3-28-11

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:56:56 PM »

wonder how they hold up under vibration

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

wonder how they hold up under vibration

HID's are gas filed with no filament so they last much longer than regular bulbs with a tungsten filament.
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »

I did the HID (bulbs and ballasts) for both low and high on my '10 SESG.

Honestly you don't need the Highbeam.  HIDs take a few seconds (probably 5 - 7 seconds) to come up to full bright.   With the high beam on and allowed to come to full bright.. it is amazing.. like daylight.  But having to dim them for oncoming traffic and then switch back on defeats the purpose.

Hard to describe.  It's like this... driving down a dark road with low beam HID... it is bright... flip the high beam (now both bulbs are on)... and there isn't an appreciable difference at first.  After a few seconds (maybe 10) the highs come up to full bright and it is amazing.  Now if you switch the High beam off... you can see a huge difference.

No issue with vibration so far.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

Sugar bear, can you post a picture of the kit you have? I am also interested in a HID/xenon coversion. I've seen kits as low as $60 for two bulbs and comes with the ignitors. Most intended for automotive. The kits adapt to motorcycles as well, you just have to specify the bulb type for proper fit. The ignitor/modules are compact enough to mount in a remote location without taking much space. I have the 'white' color range in my truck and works well. Most people buy the car kits and are good for two bikes, both just using lowbeams. I like keeping the stock 'halogen' for my high beams for instant flashing high beams when needed. Installing  the HID/xenon for high beams won't give you 'instant' effective lighting when flashing your highs, as the bulb takes time to warm up to reach maximum brightness.
Sorry it has taken a while to read your reply. I will get you a picture or at least get their website with the part # I will try to do it tomorrow.
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »

I put a hid kit on my v rod it was cool and bright.  It was so much light it didn't light up the road in front of me.  It was up in the trees and all over the sides.  If you do a hid kit you really need a projector lens to focus the light right in front of you.  I did get sick of everyone flashing me too.

efarstveet

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:00:02 PM »

At least they can see you..  To me that is very important..  Worth the hassle.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:27 AM »

I did the HID (bulbs and ballasts) for both low and high on my '10 SESG.
Honestly you don't need the Highbeam.  HIDs take a few seconds (probably 5 - 7 seconds) to come up to full bright.   With the high beam on and allowed to come to full bright.. it is amazing.. like daylight.  But having to dim them for oncoming traffic and then switch back on defeats the purpose.

Hard to describe.  It's like this... driving down a dark road with low beam HID... it is bright... flip the high beam (now both bulbs are on)... and there isn't an appreciable difference at first.  After a few seconds (maybe 10) the highs come up to full bright and it is amazing.  Now if you switch the High beam off... you can see a huge difference.

No issue with vibration so far.

Mal

I had HID on my 04 SEEG for a few years......loved em.  Put them on my wife's 09 Street Glide as soon as she got it and on my 10 SESG as soon as I got it.  We have both bulbs and wouldn't be without them! :2vrolijk_21:  Money well spent in our opinion and well worth it.

On dim (regular) light, they do shine quite a bit further up the road than a stock headlight, as well as higher and to the sides.  We did this on a mountain road, at night, no ambiant light to interfere......first hand experience.  Neither have we had anybody flash their lights at us when they're coming towards us, unless we had them on bright.......and we ride side by side most of the time, so double the lighting, but we still haven't ever had that problem.  At our age (60) as the night vision begins to fade, it's just money well spent. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:48 AM »

Wouldn't have a bike without them anymore!  One of the best add-ons that I've done.  I even converted my 83 Porsche...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:30:56 AM »

Sorry it took so long had a death in the family. These bulbs are from wixtech they are the super white super spots. The H8 are 12v35w and the H11 is 12v55w the part number is H8 #43451 and the H11 #43409. Hope this helps
PS they are two bulbs each and retail for $29.95
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »

Sorry it took so long had a death in the family. These bulbs are from wixtech they are the super white super spots. The H8 are 12v35w and the H11 is 12v55w the part number is H8 #43451 and the H11 #43409. Hope this helps
PS they are two bulbs each and retail for $29.95

Unfortunately those aren't HID lighting.  Just standard bulbs with some fancy advertising making them sound a little "HID" like.  Sorry, but that's not uncommon in that market.  They will, however, just plug in as your original bulbs did.  Nothing else to hook up.

Lucky88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG Kryptonite/Black Diamond
    • CVO3: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »

Unfortunately those aren't HID lighting.  Just standard bulbs with some fancy advertising making them sound a little "HID" like.  Sorry, but that's not uncommon in that market.  They will, however, just plug in as your original bulbs did.  Nothing else to hook up.

Twolanerider is correct. Those are just fancy halogen bulbs with just a touch of xenon gas in them, if that. The real HID lights will have a ballast/igniter to make them work.
2004 Honda RVT1000-(RC51) still in crate
2004 BMW K1200RS - Go anywhere bike
2006 BMW GS Adventure special edition -still in crate
2009 BMW HP2 Sport  #1-w/ABS- still in crate
2010 CVO SESG- Spiced Rum- wants to come out to play
2011 BMW HP2 Sport - Waiting for a Motorsport Edition-wishful thinking
2011 CVO SESG- Kryptonite- Finally arrived 2-21-11
2011.5 CVO Ultra Classic- Blue or Red? ...BLUE! arrived 3-28-11

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »

Thanks I will go back to dealer and have a little chat with him. Haven't had a chance to check them in the dark are they any brighter than the oem?
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.