Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Thoughts Please good and Bad  (Read 2607 times)

Retro 11

Thoughts Please good and Bad
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:20 PM »

OK New bike is at dealers they are taking some things from my 08 and putting on new one. I would like to put more lighting on the back end and also protect the lids on the bags. I thought that the chrome lid rails with the lights in them would work well doing two things. Page 391 in HD book. more light and protection. Do you think it would look ok or to tacky? There is also a luggage rack that matchs the rails. Has anyone used 7 in spliter HD windsheild? I ride two up 95% of the time.
       Thanks for your thoughts
              Retro 11

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
Re: Thoughts Please good and Bad
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:19:07 PM »

Nothing like opening a can of worms!

Those mods are so individual, what someone likes may make another cringe. That being said I don't like the chrome rails/guards. IMO they really break up the sleek look of the Glide. I try not to make mods that break up the sleek look of the bike. I often got comments on my old 09 SG and now my 10 SG saying it looks fast just sitting there.  Now if I ever get my Kripto SG I know those SESG bikes look fast, just like you just robbed a bank to pay for it and are haulin ass to get away! Like I said just my opinion. In closing do what will make you want to keep going to your garage to peek at it!

Wayne

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »

Have you ever heard ''less is more'' I personally don't like rails on the lid....but it's your bike and your personality..
Letz Ride

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »

They're not for me if for no other reason than there's no going back once you tire of them. If you're just worried about scratches then you might consider a film. Or glare  8)

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »

I bought them and the lights while waiting on my bike......one of my lids had a ding in it, so I am waiting on a replacement before adding them to the saddlebags.  I thought I would end up dragging my foot across them, but not yet with 500 miles on her.  I'm kind of in limbo, but I would like the additional lighting on the rear. I did put the chrome rear engine guards on and like them a lot.  Personal choice for sure! I'm not sure if I will take them back or install them.

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »

Just something for you to think about as well, you will need to drill holes in a CVO lid to mount the rail. What happens when your ready to sell the bike and the buyer doesn't like rails?

My thoughts are keep a CVO original for resale value.....  (NO HOLES IN THE PAINT ANYWHERE)
Letz Ride

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »

Have you ever heard ''less is more'' I personally don't like rails on the lid....but it's your bike and your personality..

X2

I bought the saddle bag lid spoilers for my 2010 SESG for the same reason.....wanted more light at the back end (I've had two buddies ran over by drunks, sitting at a stop light).  The more I thought about ruining the clean profile lines of the SESG, the more I was having second thoughts.  I didn't do it and I am damn glad that I didn't.  

The LED tailights are much brighter than the traditional HD tailights.  When you're following a pack of Harleys at night the SESG or the 09 SERG tail lights will stand out way beyond the standard tail lights. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:17:51 PM »

Lots of good points being made here on this discussion;

1. Individualism - do you want to make the bike unique from other CVOs and tuned to your taste? If you like chrome, it's a good choice
2. Resale Value - are you keeping the bike 2 years and flipping it or riding it into the ground? If you're flipping, maybe you keep it stock. Otherwise, make it your machine.
3. Lighting - there are other options depending on your budget. If you don't like the rail, you can get a flush mount insert put in your bags or lighting accents. (As noted, LEDs are brighter!)
4. Protection - I think the film/polymer will do a good job at protection. (There are different kits out there, you might even find a tint shop that can do this for you)
Examples: http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-armor

Links to examples;
1. Flush mount lighted bags:
http://www.baddad.com/products/part/80806 Click on the images to see application
http://www.hellsfoundry.com/flush-taillights.htm

2. Kuryakyn Lighted Lowers accent: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/404/Lighted-Lower-Saddlebag-Accents

There's all sorts of things that can be done to your ride. All it takes is your personal vision and money.

Best of luck,
DesertHOG aka Simon

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »

X2

The LED tailights are much brighter than the traditional HD tailights.  When you're following a pack of Harleys at night the SESG or the 09 SERG tail lights will stand out way beyond the standard tail lights. :2vrolijk_21:

I agree.  The clean tail end of the SESG is amazing and I for one wouldn't want to mess with those lines.  The LED tail lights are plenty bright.  Personally, I never liked the rails on the bag lids either and truly think it would look awful on the SESG.  I know everyone has different tastes, but I'd sure hate to see those rails on any SESG.  Most of us really like to customize our bikes to our own preferences (big insert here for JC), and to each his own, but it's your bike.  I don't think anyone here would call you crazy (to your face anyway)!  Most of us don't plan on resale value because you should truly enjoy your bike and all that entails, but somewhere down the line.........

As for the wind screen, I just put a Freedom Shields 8" dark tint on mine and couldn't be happier.  It looks great on the bike and does an amazing job at moving the air properly around the rider and passenger at pretty much all speeds.  I have the 8" Windvest on my '08 SERK Glide and it works pretty well too, but I am definitely a little more impressed with the looks and performance of the Freedom Shield.

Retro 11

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »

Thanks guys, No rails, I have thought about it and I think it would look a little tacky. Just not sure about windshield I know some one who used splitter windshield and loves it,have to see how it looks on bike.
         Retro 11             

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »

Retro,

As someone who has done (and redone) many mods to a bunch of bikes..........(I've wasted a ton of money, so you don't have too :) ) The ones "you" should do are not the ones anyone else likes......but the ones that you like!  If you are unsure of something, WAIT, get on your bike, ride to some bikes nights, surf the web, go to different dealers, ask to sit on others bikes (always ask first :) ) and then decide what you like after you see it.  If you want to do something custom and aren't sure, ask someone to photoshop it or ask someone who can draw to sketch it etc. etc. (the pic that I have here was photoshopped by someone on the HD forum just by asking.  I did it so I can see what "I" want to do.  I had a vision and wanted to see it.  I love it and am going to do it. I don't care what others think of it and you shouldn't either.) Your bike color is awesome (they all are) and you will make it all yours, in time.  Have fun but, most of all, ride safe!  See ya on the road :)

G

Retro 11

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »

Thanks
I agree with what you said, I think I will wait a while till I get the bike on the road and see whats out there. once the holes are drilled you are stuck with it.
              retro 11

slotbike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:12:57 AM »

Thanks
I agree with what you said, I think I will wait a while till I get the bike on the road and see whats out there. once the holes are drilled you are stuck with it.
              retro 11

That is a great idea that will pay dividends, down the road, when you look at your bike and like what you see.  GOOD LUCK, Ride safe!

G

Retro 11

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 03:42:58 PM »

After 2 hrs at the shop putting on lid rails and takeing them off looking at the bike with and with out and also adding matching luggage rack all with lights went and went with it. .all the guys in the shop and dealer owner thought it added more of a rich look to the bike. It was for me to say yea or nay I like the look. Lid proteciton and more rear lighting. sorry if no one else likes them. To each there own.
         Retro 11

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »

After 2 hrs at the shop putting on lid rails and takeing them off looking at the bike with and with out and also adding matching luggage rack all with lights went and went with it. .all the guys in the shop and dealer owner thought it added more of a rich look to the bike. It was for me to say yea or nay I like the look. Lid proteciton and more rear lighting. sorry if no one else likes them. To each there own.
         Retro 11

Congratulations! The important thing is that YOU like it. How about throwing some pics up on this thread of the finished product?
 :worthless:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »

Retro 11
Bottom line it's your bike... do what you want w/it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »

I totally agree with Knothead...
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Retro 11

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »

Dont forget I am 72 yrs young, not thinking about resale down the line. Maybe 4 or 5 years from now L O L. My wife and I do a few over night trips in the summer and thats why I put sundowner seat on it for comfort and detachable luggage rack. The lid rails are not high and follows the shape of the bag with out takeing the lines away. If it dont work out I am sure HD will sell me new lids. O BOY!
            Retro 11

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »

Dont forget I am 72 yrs young, not thinking about resale down the line. Maybe 4 or 5 years from now L O L. My wife and I do a few over night trips in the summer and thats why I put sundowner seat on it for comfort and detachable luggage rack. The lid rails are not high and follows the shape of the bag with out takeing the lines away. If it dont work out I am sure HD will sell me new lids. O BOY!
            Retro 11
I'm anxious to see the pics when you get a chance to post.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Retro 11

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »

Will post some pics when I get it home
         Retro 11

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »

Will post some pics when I get it home :-X
         Retro 11

Okay now that we know your 72 years young Retro, don't let the chrome accessory guy at the dealership UP  sell you. I personally don't think white walls would good on that new CVO Street Glide either.  :-\
Letz Ride

Retro 11

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:52:55 AM »

NOT ON THIS BIKE!!!!! My dealership is one of the best, great people and never tries to sell me anything unless I bring it up or ask about it.  I have had white walls on two bikes and they looked good,but not this one it would be a shame to do that. Thanks for looking out for the old guy. L O L
        Retro 11

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

Thanks for looking out for the old guy. L O L
        Retro 11
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.