Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Did my first 150 miles, here are some questions  (Read 2231 times)

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
Did my first 150 miles, here are some questions
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:46:20 AM »

Okay, as many of you know I just received my OB SESG. yesterday I had a ride to which I noticed the following:

1- There seem to be something loose in the rear part of the bike. Whenever I pass a hole on the road (small one) on a speed of maybe 20 or 25 mph, I feel something is loose underneath my seat. Any idea what could be loose and might've been overlooked in the PDI?

2- How does the suspension work? I saw the suspension on the left side has a knob with high and low and the right one has nothing and I dont even seem to see any connections between both. Can someone explain to me how it works?

Thanks guys :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Four Wheels move the body. Two Wheels move the Soul

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:26:01 AM »

Yes and one more question please, does anyone feel that the gearbox changes are louder than usual? When I put on 1st gear, it sounds loud. Does it get softer with time?

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: Did my first 150 miles, here are some questions
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:33:59 AM »

Rogzy,

I can't be of much help at the moment but I have the supplement for the 2011 FLHXSE2 service manual at my office. I can take a look and try to explain how the new shocks operate. I will be taking delivery of mine in mid March and hope these new shocks work out. Hopefully I can help you more tomorrow when I return to work.

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »

Thanks Skillet. Appreciate your reply buddy :-)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »

Okay, as many of you know I just received my OB SESG. yesterday I had a ride to which I noticed the following:

1- There seem to be something loose in the rear part of the bike. Whenever I pass a hole on the road (small one) on a speed of maybe 20 or 25 mph, I feel something is loose underneath my seat. Any idea what could be loose and might've been overlooked in the PDI?

2- How does the suspension work? I saw the suspension on the left side has a knob with high and low and the right one has nothing and I dont even seem to see any connections between both. Can someone explain to me how it works?

The knob on the left shock is used to make adjustments to your preload. I attached a copy from the manual on how this works. Very simple system, works fairly well.

JW

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »

The table for the number of clicks based on weight seems to be pretty much on based on my limited experience.

Come on spring.

JW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:17 AM »

Rogzy, did you not get an owner's manual with your bike?

Not sure what you're hearing when you hit a pot hole at slow speed.  Maybe your shock is set at 0 preload and it's just the rebound?? :nixweiss:  Take your seat off and see if there's something under there that's not secured like it should be?? :nixweiss:  Just a couple of suggestions.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »

When i took out my ride for it's first ride i heard something coming from the back too. Spent about an hour looking around till i was so frustrated that i just sat on my garage stool staring at my ride till i noticed my antenna on too much of an angle......It was also missed in my PDI. It was just dangling around on the bracket with the locking nut loose. It is worth a look. As for the knob for the suspension when i played with it i found the the first rotation did not click. Did yours do the same?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »

Yes and one more question please, does anyone feel that the gearbox changes are louder than usual? When I put on 1st gear, it sounds loud. Does it get softer with time?

It does get a little better after a few hundred miles. Also--after 750 miles I switched to Redline Shockproof trans fluid which helped a lot.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »

Man did you give any thought to reading the owners manual? My wife recently told me her Escalade mirrors would not electronically fold in and it would be nice if they did, they do, always have but she got mad when I suggested she read the book.
Go figure.

jcd520

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »

Man did you give any thought to reading the owners manual? My wife recently told me her Escalade mirrors would not electronically fold in and it would be nice if they did, they do, always have but she got mad when I suggested she read the book.
Go figure.

Ditto to the quote above and I might add this----------Just guessing here and no offense but if you are a newbie to riding then please take this advice. First check things over after you get your  bike back from a dealer. Especially a brand new one. They are not perfect or sometimes very thorough . You are going to be riding that MC in traffic at all speeds-------be sure or as sure as you can be that it is put together safely and things aren't falling off of it---------like maybe the front wheel or brake pedal or something you might need. Thank God this time it was just the antennae. Air pressure, fuel , oil , tires(for nails screws etc.)    There is a lot more danger here than starting your car and driving off. Just might save your life too. Good luck and congrats on your new scoot!

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »

The SLAM in 1st gear is better with a few thousand kms on instead of a few hundred...

Also, when it is cold, the idle is way up and it is louder.  When the idle is down about 950 where it should be, the transmission just does a light clunk into first gear.....

No worries, from Australia......

2011 Original Harley colors, black and orange like the Bar and Shield,
Big dog CVO Passing lights canted out 5 degrees looking for roos alongside the road.....

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 01:15:46 AM »

Thank you all for the replies.
It is indeed my first CVO and I come from the background of Road King Classic. I figure the ride should be tougher since CVO is sportier and lower. I will check the antenna and remove the seat and check things.

Thing is i didn't get the owners manual yet. For some reason the dealer gets them through a different shipment that hasn't reached her warehouse yet. I think I still need to read it when it comes (should be within this week or the next).

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:17:42 AM »

The knob on the left shock is used to make adjustments to your preload. I attached a copy from the manual on how this works. Very simple system, works fairly well.

JW

Thanks JW for the effort. Your scan is indeed very useful.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »

Looks like you received plenty of support as usual from this site. Hope you get your owners manual soon.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »

Thanks JW for the effort. Your scan is indeed very useful.

I've been helped by many here, just passing on the tradition when I can.

JW

Rogzy

• Rogzy
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:36:26 AM »

Looks like you received plenty of support as usual from this site. Hope you get your owners manual soon.

That us why I am hooked on to this site. Great friendly people that are passionate about their bikes and giving a helping hand to other :-))

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 21 queries.