Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2011 FLHXSE2 Convertion from US model to German street legal standard  (Read 2729 times)

WolfmanJack

I bought last year a 2011 FLHXSE2. Now my company is moving me back to Germany. I would like to take the bike with me, but I understand in order to get it street legal in Germany some things need to be changed (i.e. turn signals need to flash in amber color, speedo in kph, ....)

Not sure how the German version looks like (i.e. rear lighting). Does anybody have pictures?

Does anybody have advise what else needs to be changed?
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond / Crimson Tag Graphics
Detachable King Tour Pack w/Airwing Luggage Rack
6.5" Dark Smoke Klock Werks Flare Windshield

Paul1

• Senior CVO Member
  • CVO SESG2, FXDC

• CVO1: FLHXSESG2

I think it would just need to be as the standard international version, which I believe is the same as the UK models, not sure about catalytic converter, but if you look up on the Internet Harley Davidson Europe you can see photos of all the models, as well as the vehicle specs.  I'm sure you will get replies from more knowledgeable members on here.

andreaswolter

• Street Glide CVO

hallo wolfman Jack
Greetings from Germany. Ask sometimes with marshal Bike Service in Hann. To Münden! They bring through to you Harley with licensing TÜH

WolfmanJack

checked with Bike Service in Hann. They are able to do it only for My2004 and older. Thanks for the hint andreaswolter.

"TUV Nord" in Germany seems to be very helpful. Found out that I have to change all lights (headlamps, turn signal, rear lights) on the bike to European standard ("E" Symbol needs to be stamped into the glass). Other than that it should be good to go.
2011 CVO Street Glide

WolfmanJack

Does anyone know if when you change the rear turn-signal/brake-light LED unit from the Domestic version to HDI (German) version that you have also to change the control module for the lights ?
2011 CVO Street Glide

aero8

• Full CVO Member

Dear Jack
I went the other way yesterday.
I just changed my talilight and envelope lights( turn signals) from HDI to US-style( grey instead of amber) and there was no problem to do it.
No new harness needed. I fitted the LED tailight from BADLAND MOTORCYCLES and it came with a little device, which made the installation and conversion very easy.

Maybe you buy the amber envelope lights in the USA, because in Germany they will ask around four times more for these parts!!!!!

Aero8

WolfmanJack

Dear Jack
I went the other way yesterday.
I just changed my talilight and envelope lights( turn signals) from HDI to US-style( grey instead of amber) and there was no problem to do it.
No new harness needed. I fitted the LED tailight from BADLAND MOTORCYCLES and it came with a little device, which made the installation and conversion very easy.

Maybe you buy the amber envelope lights in the USA, because in Germany they will ask around four times more for these parts!!!!!

Aero8

Thanks Aero8. Ordered the EU parts (headlight, rear lights) here in the US yesterday. will see how it works out.
2011 CVO Street Glide

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica

Are you moving permanently to Germany? Seems alot of bother for a term secondment.

WolfmanJack

I am originally from Germany and was on a 3.5 year foreign assignment here in the US. So it is not planned to be a temporary move, but in today's economy you never know.
2011 CVO Street Glide

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

I am originally from Germany and was on a 3.5 year foreign assignment here in the US. So it is not planned to be a temporary move, but in today's economy you never know.

Aha  ok,  sounds like your sorted with the required parts. the main difference with the European models is the very much hated Harley standard "PIG NOSE" brake light, you will be the envy of all Europeans if you get yours TUV proofed without it.

MC88

• Junior CVO Member
  • CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 CVO2:2011 FLHXSE2
Re: 2011 FLHXSE2 Convertion from US model to German street legal standard
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »

Im also looking to do the conversion to the US spec lights, rear gusrd etc...

Let me know if you want to sell your parts

WolfmanJack

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »

ok I got all the parts now.
But it seems to me that the European rear turn signal light is only a turn signal light without the brake/stop light integrated (did not install it yet, just from visual inspection). This would mean I am missing the brake light now. Is this a correct assumption ? Do the European versions have a separate brake light which is not integrated in the turn signal assembly ?

Thanks for any advise
2011 CVO Street Glide

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »

ok I got all the parts now.
But it seems to me that the European rear turn signal light is only a turn signal light without the brake/stop light integrated (did not install it yet, just from visual inspection). This would mean I am missing the brake light now. Is this a correct assumption ? Do the European versions have a separate brake light which is not integrated in the turn signal assembly ?

Thanks for any advise

Yes you are correct, the European version has a separate brake light, which we all hate to death, the dread bog standard MOCO rear light. the look would be similar to this pick but the original rear brake light would be red

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »

Yes you are correct, the European version has a separate brake light, which we all hate to death, the dread bog standard MOCO rear light. the look would be similar to this pick but the original rear brake light would be red

And to make it all work you will need the module to be programed by BADLANDS. There are a few threads on this topic.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 05:36:26 AM »

And to make it all work you will need the module to be programed by BADLANDS. There are a few threads on this topic.

????????  Wolfman Jack, already has an American spec Bike so with the module he has as stock, the indicators would work as a brake light, but I understand he wants to make the bike into a European spec bike. I would leave the bike as it is, and take the bike for inspection in Germany only when he has too, maybe he would get away without making any changes.......plead dumb and tell the TUV inspector he may eventually go back to USA......
If he just changed the indicator Smoked lens to the European Orange lens, then they would still work as in US???

WolfmanJack

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

correct, I have a US spec bike and move with the bike to Germany, therefore I need to convert the lighting to German spec.

Turn signals need to be amber in Germany...no exception according to TUV....and all lights need to have the "E" symbol printed on the glass.

ice6900: do you know if just the lens cover on the US rear turn signals can be changed to amber ?

Another thought was: just add the turn signals from the standard street glide and wire the original rear lights in a way that they are only solid on as brake lights and do not flash anymore - any comments or thoughts on this idea ?
2011 CVO Street Glide

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »

How do the indicator lens come, just the amber lens or are they a sealed light unit with wiring attached?

I you already have the amber indicator lens, is the wiring the same as the smoked version, same wires, same connector? I guess not cus of the indicator & brake function.

Is it possible to:- with out removing the smoked lens, just disconnect the wiring from the smoked lens and connect the amber in circuit to test them how they work?

If i had to fit an extra brake light my first option would be to utilise the brake light unit from the standard street glide, (if that was aloud by TUV, I dont know how anal they are about it, you might be ok or do they insist that a CVO must have the CVO brake light)
I would leave the smoked lens fitted in the fender and not working.

Lets face it, we all drive around illegally to some extent with the parts we fit on our bikes. So i would find away to pacify the inspector, and then revert the bike to the way I want it, ie:- US spec..........it just sucks that you would have to drill a few holes in the fender to temporarily fit a brake light for testing, could you get away with mounting it with double sticky tape!  lol

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

correct, I have a US spec bike and move with the bike to Germany, therefore I need to convert the lighting to German spec.

Turn signals need to be amber in Germany...no exception according to TUV....and all lights need to have the "E" symbol printed on the glass.

ice6900: do you know if just the lens cover on the US rear turn signals can be changed to amber ?

Another thought was: just add the turn signals from the standard street glide and wire the original rear lights in a way that they are only solid on as brake lights and do not flash anymore - any comments or thoughts on this idea ?

Yes. It is held to the the light assembly with 4 tabs.
BUT

They will not sell you just the lens. You have to buy the whole assembly.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »

How do the indicator lens come, just the amber lens or are they a sealed light unit with wiring attached?

I you already have the amber indicator lens, is the wiring the same as the smoked version, same wires, same connector? I guess not cus of the indicator & brake function.

Is it possible to:- with out removing the smoked lens, just disconnect the wiring from the smoked lens and connect the amber in circuit to test them how they work?

If i had to fit an extra brake light my first option would be to utilise the brake light unit from the standard street glide, (if that was aloud by TUV, I dont know how anal they are about it, you might be ok or do they insist that a CVO must have the CVO brake light)
I would leave the smoked lens fitted in the fender and not working.

Lets face it, we all drive around illegally to some extent with the parts we fit on our bikes. So i would find away to pacify the inspector, and then revert the bike to the way I want it, ie:- US spec..........it just sucks that you would have to drill a few holes in the fender to temporarily fit a brake light for testing, could you get away with mounting it with double sticky tape!  lol

And because of the above is why I suggested the module because it is programed to work the way you would like (as i did mine this way) without having to cut and splice the original wires. Once you go back home take out the module and you are back to normal. The only thing is when you drill holes for the pig nose you can never change that. You might also have to run a feed wire to run the light. I say just leave it. It is not worth it.

In Greece when i took a bike there from Canada they allowed me 3 years of grace before i had to transfer over the title and put a Greek plate on it. I would look into something like that. See how long you can ride before you have to do anything.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »

according to the latest regulations combined indicator/brake lights are allowed in Germany as shown on the softail blackline. Chances are your bike may pass inspection even with the smoked lenses though ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.