Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2011 FLHXSE2 Convertion from US model to German street legal standard  (Read 2728 times)

WolfmanJack

Re: 2011 FLHXSE2 Convertion from US model to German street legal standard
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »

correct, I have a US spec bike and move with the bike to Germany, therefore I need to convert the lighting to German spec.

Turn signals need to be amber in Germany...no exception according to TUV....and all lights need to have the "E" symbol printed on the glass.

ice6900: do you know if just the lens cover on the US rear turn signals can be changed to amber ?

Another thought was: just add the turn signals from the standard street glide and wire the original rear lights in a way that they are only solid on as brake lights and do not flash anymore - any comments or thoughts on this idea ?
2011 CVO Street Glide
Black Diamond / Crimson Tag Graphics
Detachable King Tour Pack w/Airwing Luggage Rack
6.5" Dark Smoke Klock Werks Flare Windshield

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »

How do the indicator lens come, just the amber lens or are they a sealed light unit with wiring attached?

I you already have the amber indicator lens, is the wiring the same as the smoked version, same wires, same connector? I guess not cus of the indicator & brake function.

Is it possible to:- with out removing the smoked lens, just disconnect the wiring from the smoked lens and connect the amber in circuit to test them how they work?

If i had to fit an extra brake light my first option would be to utilise the brake light unit from the standard street glide, (if that was aloud by TUV, I dont know how anal they are about it, you might be ok or do they insist that a CVO must have the CVO brake light)
I would leave the smoked lens fitted in the fender and not working.

Lets face it, we all drive around illegally to some extent with the parts we fit on our bikes. So i would find away to pacify the inspector, and then revert the bike to the way I want it, ie:- US spec..........it just sucks that you would have to drill a few holes in the fender to temporarily fit a brake light for testing, could you get away with mounting it with double sticky tape!  lol

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

correct, I have a US spec bike and move with the bike to Germany, therefore I need to convert the lighting to German spec.

Turn signals need to be amber in Germany...no exception according to TUV....and all lights need to have the "E" symbol printed on the glass.

ice6900: do you know if just the lens cover on the US rear turn signals can be changed to amber ?

Another thought was: just add the turn signals from the standard street glide and wire the original rear lights in a way that they are only solid on as brake lights and do not flash anymore - any comments or thoughts on this idea ?

Yes. It is held to the the light assembly with 4 tabs.
BUT

They will not sell you just the lens. You have to buy the whole assembly.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »

How do the indicator lens come, just the amber lens or are they a sealed light unit with wiring attached?

I you already have the amber indicator lens, is the wiring the same as the smoked version, same wires, same connector? I guess not cus of the indicator & brake function.

Is it possible to:- with out removing the smoked lens, just disconnect the wiring from the smoked lens and connect the amber in circuit to test them how they work?

If i had to fit an extra brake light my first option would be to utilise the brake light unit from the standard street glide, (if that was aloud by TUV, I dont know how anal they are about it, you might be ok or do they insist that a CVO must have the CVO brake light)
I would leave the smoked lens fitted in the fender and not working.

Lets face it, we all drive around illegally to some extent with the parts we fit on our bikes. So i would find away to pacify the inspector, and then revert the bike to the way I want it, ie:- US spec..........it just sucks that you would have to drill a few holes in the fender to temporarily fit a brake light for testing, could you get away with mounting it with double sticky tape!  lol

And because of the above is why I suggested the module because it is programed to work the way you would like (as i did mine this way) without having to cut and splice the original wires. Once you go back home take out the module and you are back to normal. The only thing is when you drill holes for the pig nose you can never change that. You might also have to run a feed wire to run the light. I say just leave it. It is not worth it.

In Greece when i took a bike there from Canada they allowed me 3 years of grace before i had to transfer over the title and put a Greek plate on it. I would look into something like that. See how long you can ride before you have to do anything.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »

according to the latest regulations combined indicator/brake lights are allowed in Germany as shown on the softail blackline. Chances are your bike may pass inspection even with the smoked lenses though ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.