Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Alpine Stereo Install FLHXSE2  (Read 15163 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
Re: Alpine Stereo Install FLHXSE2
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »

Sweetness on the install - nice job!

I would agree that Focal makes DAYUM nice stuff but SHESSH to you pay for it! I had Hertz in my 2010 and will be using them in the 2011 (HCx165 in lowers, HCx130 in rear pods) and will be going with the Mille MLK-165 separates for the fairing. Still laying out what I am going to do for the juice - looking at the JL Audio M400/4 but I'd like to keep everything in the fairing. Could be a challenge mounting that amp in the space available.

I'm gonna send my stock HU out to Tony at Iron Cross and have him do the low-level conversion (RCA outs) as well as add the mini-plug for Nav. According to him, it has no effect on the rear line-level (speaker) outputs on connector 28A, so it provides more options. I have also been toying with getting another stock SESG amp and bolting it next to the existing. Ipod module gets moved to wherever convenient. Hook the additional amp to the rear speaker outs from 28A (the 35-pin connector) then run the lowers and the rear pods from that amp. Still debating as the output from the stock amp would suffer greatly if you believe that the 100w/ch is based on a 1-ohm load.

Anyway ... again a sweet and neat install. Might be interested in taking your stock amp off your hands (depending on my direction) if you want to get rid of it.

TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond and Crimson
Alpine Stereo Install FLHXSE2
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »

I haven't changed anything yet. I want to decide what I am doing before taking the bike apart. Only want to do it once--although that never works out!

Ah, I see...  I think you may have to change the amp. The stock speakers are 1 ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 2 or 4 ohm. This is where I'm no expert and would ask a lot of questions from a local stereo install joint. In my opinion, after talking to my local HD dealer (who also do a lot of stereo upgrades) I'd convert the deck to component pre-outs and go with a different amp. The Arc Audio 2 channel will fit in the fairing. The Arc 2 mini will drive just about anything. This was my original path before deciding to switch the deck and go 4 channel.

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »

Thanks TIF2.  Bingo! Tony is the person who does the conversion.  I've heard nothing but great things about his work.  That sounds like a great setup. One I was considering. The MLK's are supposed to be awesome. I just couldn't hear a pair before making a decision. I've heard great things about the JL 4 channel mini amps too. It might be a little tight though. Let me know what you decide to do and I'll think about the stock amp.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:24:13 AM by Emerald Ice »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »

It looks great......Nice installation....I wish to do the things that way!!  :2vrolijk_21:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »

They're pretty close.  I asked the local Car Toys guys for pointers and followed their advise.  That was one of the things that had me stumped...  So, you've already switched out the deck to an Alpine?  My original intent was to keep the stock deck and have it wired for pre-outs.  There's someone back east who does this for a few hundred bucks.  Although I started to get frustrated with the stock deck because every time I reconnected my iPhone it would start at the default Playlist at Song 1 rather than picking up with the last song played.  I listened to a lot of speakers before making my decision.  The upper Focal's have really decent base for a component setup.  I was thinking of going with Hertz but couldn't find anyone local who carried the component Hertz so I could hear them first.  I've heard great things about them and they're about 1/2 the price.  If you have a place who carries Hertz nearby they'd be worth a listen.

Nice job on the install.   I used the Hertz speakers in my Dead Center Fairing for my roadking and am very pleased with the results.  If you happen to get down to Daytona check out Millers Custom Parts on US 1 in Daytona Beach.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Deltasonik

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »

Great job on the install.  I did a very similar install on my Street Glide.  I bought the same Alpine as you used and I decided to return it and go with the Marine version (X100M) due to the many times that I have been stuck in the rain.  It has all of the same options.  My favorite part of the head unit is that Alpine offers  plug and play Sirius module (SIR-ALP1) all you have to do is hook it into the AI-net port on the back of the radio and you are all set.  I also like that I can load up my Pen drive with MP3's and i can plug it directly into the head unit.  I havent used the Ipod controll functionality of this radio yet but I could guess it works pretty well.  I went one step further and upgraded my controlls to Ultra controlls so on the left side I programed the CB switch to act as a track selection switch or it can be used to go to the next channel on my Sirius.  I upgraded the Faring speakers to 6.5's and I am looking at adding the same lowers that come standard on the 11 CVO so I can add some speakers to those. 

Did you add a quick disconnect to the amp so you can remove the bag for cleaning etc? 
Can you really hear the lower faring speakers when you are driving at speed?

Thanks!

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 09:24:55 AM »

Great job on the install.  I did a very similar install on my Street Glide.  I bought the same Alpine as you used and I decided to return it and go with the Marine version (X100M) due to the many times that I have been stuck in the rain.  It has all of the same options.  My favorite part of the head unit is that Alpine offers  plug and play Sirius module (SIR-ALP1) all you have to do is hook it into the AI-net port on the back of the radio and you are all set.  I also like that I can load up my Pen drive with MP3's and i can plug it directly into the head unit.  I havent used the Ipod controll functionality of this radio yet but I could guess it works pretty well.  I went one step further and upgraded my controlls to Ultra controlls so on the left side I programed the CB switch to act as a track selection switch or it can be used to go to the next channel on my Sirius.  I upgraded the Faring speakers to 6.5's and I am looking at adding the same lowers that come standard on the 11 CVO so I can add some speakers to those. 

Did you add a quick disconnect to the amp so you can remove the bag for cleaning etc? 
Can you really hear the lower faring speakers when you are driving at speed?

Thanks!

@deltasonik. Thanks!  The bag can be removed in just a few minutes. I did use quick disconnects for the power and speaker runs. I used a company called Batts Racing to build the wire harness and quick disconnect. You can hear the lower speakers. It helps round out the sound. I really like the head unit  has a ton of features and streaming Pandora is awesome. Got any pics of your install?

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »

Great job on the install, thanks for the post. Can you make a small video on how well it sounds?
Hawg

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

Excellent job, and thanks for taking the time for documenting it! 

Did the lower Focal speakers pop it the OEM lowers?
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »

Excellent job, and thanks for taking the time for documenting it! 

Did the lower Focal speakers pop it the OEM lowers?

@TheLoneWolfPack  Yes, the Focals in the lower popped right in as well as the screens.  No modifications necessary at all. 

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »

Thanks,  :D
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 12:32:59 AM »

Sweetness on the install - nice job!

I would agree that Focal makes DAYUM nice stuff but SHESSH to you pay for it! I had Hertz in my 2010 and will be using them in the 2011 (HCx165 in lowers, HCx130 in rear pods) and will be going with the Mille MLK-165 separates for the fairing. Still laying out what I am going to do for the juice - looking at the JL Audio M400/4 but I'd like to keep everything in the fairing. Could be a challenge mounting that amp in the space available.

I'm gonna send my stock HU out to Tony at Iron Cross and have him do the low-level conversion (RCA outs) as well as add the mini-plug for Nav. According to him, it has no effect on the rear line-level (speaker) outputs on connector 28A, so it provides more options. I have also been toying with getting another stock SESG amp and bolting it next to the existing. Ipod module gets moved to wherever convenient. Hook the additional amp to the rear speaker outs from 28A (the 35-pin connector) then run the lowers and the rear pods from that amp. Still debating as the output from the stock amp would suffer greatly if you believe that the 100w/ch is based on a 1-ohm load.

Anyway ... again a sweet and neat install. Might be interested in taking your stock amp off your hands (depending on my direction) if you want to get rid of it.

I'm just sitting back in amazement at what you guys are doing -- whatever happened to the old 8-track.  This is above my paygrade. 

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 02:08:55 AM »

Another question:  How well will your Alpine head unit handle the rain?  It seems like it would not fair too well  -- which is my only consideration in not replacing my head unit.

glenpick

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange / Black
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 05:05:17 AM »

Thanks so much for taking the time & effort to document & provide pics of your custom install. Given me great inspiration to go down the same path.
2 questions from me - did you feel the bass was good enough to not add a subwoofer? I see you have wired for it & did Hawg Wired provide all the items? I went to a few audio shops here & was treated like a lepper so may see if they'll send down under to me.
Thanks again for a top write up.
Cheers
Glen
"Be Thankful We're Not Getting All The Government We're Paying For"

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »

From what I see, your install is absolutely amazing!  Probably sounds a gajillion times better than factory.  Kudos on a job well done!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 25 queries.