Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Alpine Stereo Install FLHXSE2  (Read 15071 times)

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond and Crimson
Re: Alpine Stereo Install FLHXSE2
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »

With four mid bass speakers on the 2011 krypto their is still no bass.  It is due to how the stock HK radio is equalizing and powering things.

@Fast FLHX  You know, I originally went into this project wanting to keep the stock head unit.  I was going to have the outputs installed and keep the HD unit but I'm glad I changed course.  So far, replacing it with a standard deck (Alpine in my case) works great.  Has full control and even though there's no sub its not bad.  When I park in my garage I plug a sub in for when I'm working in the garage.  Just teases me to come up with a solution for getting a sub on the bike although based on what I've read I won't hear it while on the bike.

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »

Thanks for all the input EmeraldIce --- I just may go without the CD -- but it is soooo hard just to let go. LOL
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »

@glenpick. It's actually pretty decent. I may end up adding a sub at some point but it's not that bad. It's better than the stock speakers that's for sure. I did custom wiring for everything. I spec'd the wiring and had a custom wire harness built by batts racing. I wanted quick disconnects so I could remove the saddlebag and amp if needed. All the disconnects are water tight so shouldnt be an issue with rain down the road. That's too bad about the audio shops. I picked the brains of the guys at Eastside Harley and they were extremely gracious to answer all my questions.

Did BattsRacing create a custom wire for your ipod in the Saddlebag too?  How did you wire in your saddle bag Ipod if you don't mind sharing?  And thanks for taking the time to document your install.

My problem is figuring out
I just ordered the following:

Kenwood KDC-X995 head unit (USB and 3.5mm hook ups in the back)
JL XD400/4 400W 4 Channel Amplifier
ARC Standard Tweeters
Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X133  5-1/4" 2-way Speakers
Kenwood - eXcelon KFC-X1730 6.5inch 2-Way Speaker

I listened to ARC, Focal, Alpine, and Kenwood.

Kenwood ran second to Focal, but first in price (ARC was last) -- I will see how they handle the rain before i go for the Focals.  Going with Kenwood primarily because of the USB and 3.5 with CD. 
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »

Obviously theres a lot more done here but I didn't shoot any pictures.  Basically cut 2 holes with identical rubber grommets to route the wires into the saddlebag.  Its water tight so weather shouldn't be an issue.  One has the 5 channel wires and remote on wire the other power, ipod interface and crossover/speaker wires.  Amp is an Alpine PDX-5. No subwoofer but I wired the entire bike in case I wanted to add that later.

Just trying to figure out your Ipod connection? I don't see it.

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »

Did BattsRacing create a custom wire for your ipod in the Saddlebag too?  How did you wire in your saddle bag Ipod if you don't mind sharing?  And thanks for taking the time to document your install.

My problem is figuring out
I just ordered the following:

Kenwood KDC-X995 head unit (USB and 3.5mm hook ups in the back)
JL XD400/4 400W 4 Channel Amplifier
ARC Standard Tweeters
Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X133  5-1/4" 2-way Speakers
Kenwood - eXcelon KFC-X1730 6.5inch 2-Way Speaker

I listened to ARC, Focal, Alpine, and Kenwood.

Kenwood ran second to Focal, but first in price (ARC was last) -- I will see how they handle the rain before i go for the Focals.  Going with Kenwood primarily because of the USB and 3.5 with CD. 

@TheLoneWolfPack  The Batts Harness (yellow with green quick connect) is for the amp to crossover leads. There is also 4 channel plus sub wiring from Monster Cable running from the head unit to the amp.  The image below has everything mapped out.  The iPod connector has an extension which is supplied by Alpine.  It runs from the deck to under the seat (quick disconnect) and continues on to the saddlebag where I'm using the stock iPod holder that came with the bike.  I pulled the HD version and ran my cables through the existing hole.  It was a snug fit...  Hope this helps.  I included part numbers in case you wanted them for reference.

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:58 AM »

To add a little regarding the iPod connector...  Its hard to tell but the wiring is wrapped in electrical tap along with the 4 channel plus sub Monster wiring.  You can barely tell, but it has a few inches poking out from the electrical tape where I connected the quick connect and ran it separately to the saddlebag outside of the 4 channel plus sub wiring.  Thought I'd add that since its a little hard to see in the photo.  :)

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 01:09:07 AM »

Thank you soooooo much for providing a valuable public service to "The People" and for answering my questions.  I know it takes time, and it is much appreciated.

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:57 AM »

Thank you soooooo much for providing a valuable public service to "The People" and for answering my questions.  I know it takes time, and it is much appreciated.

Anytime!  Looking forward to seeing your install.  Should be awesome and I like the combo you chose.  Will you be installing the JL amp in the fairing?  I've heard great things about that amp.

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 03:35:44 AM »

Anytime!  Looking forward to seeing your install.  Should be awesome and I like the combo you chose.  Will you be installing the JL amp in the fairing?  I've heard great things about that amp.

yes, going in the fairing.  I will post pics. 

ruiner73

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »

Hi guys, been following this thread & TheLoneWolfPack's thread on his new install, good info here, thanks!
I've been thinking about changing my head unit & going with the JL amp that I originally wanted, but wouldn't fit with the stock radio.
Started with Alpine speakers w/ARC amp, now currently have Focals w/Rockford's new amp & am pretty happy, but always wanting more.

Anyway, I am also curious how the iPod connection works when changing head unit. Emerald Ice, you said you took out Harley's iPod cable & are using Alpine's cable all the way to the bag - is the only quick connect close to the bag under the seat, like the picture shows? If you could clarify, it's just real handy w/Harley's quick connect right by the bag for removing the bag. Not a deal breaker, just don't want to run into any surprises if I decide to go this way.

How about the hand controls, I'm only finding a wiring adapter from Hawg Wired, if I'm correct you posted yours came from Biketronics? I can't find anything on their site. Not having done a head unit swap before, can you select between say the radio & iPod from the hand controls like with stock unit or do you have to switch sources from the radio faceplate?

Last question, I've got the 660 navigation, wired into the navigation interface module from Harley, per some of the other instructions found on the forum. The audio coming from the navigation is spliced into the iPod wiring in the fairing in order to be able to have the audio cut in for directions. Do either of you have any idea how this will work if the head unit is changed to the Alpine?
Is there an extra aux input on the back of the Alpine head unit & if so, will connecting the NIM to this aux input allow the navigation to break in with the audio for directions? From looking at the wiring diagrams for our bikes, when changing the head unit we lose the iPod connector going into the back of the stock radio correct? Meaning it is not used if the head unit is changed, right? That is where my NIM is spliced into, so not sure how to make this work if I go to an Alpine head unit, more specifically, how to get my navigation signals to the radio.

Thnks for any help & I will continue to follow your guy's threads, great ideas & installs!

Allan
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:47:33 AM by ruiner73 »
2011 CVO Streetglide, 124" Axtell, D&D exhaust, T-Man Cams, Baisley heads, 30T pulley & TTS tuner, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Alpine w/Hawg-Wired & Focals

Emerald Ice

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »

Hi guys, been following this thread & TheLoneWolfPack's thread on his new install, good info here, thanks!
I've been thinking about changing my head unit & going with the JL amp that I originally wanted, but wouldn't fit with the stock radio.
Started with Alpine speakers w/ARC amp, now currently have Focals w/Rockford's new amp & am pretty happy, but always wanting more.

Anyway, I am also curious how the iPod connection works when changing head unit. Emerald Ice, you said you took out Harley's iPod cable & are using Alpine's cable all the way to the bag - is the only quick connect close to the bag under the seat, like the picture shows? If you could clarify, it's just real handy w/Harley's quick connect right by the bag for removing the bag. Not a deal breaker, just don't want to run into any surprises if I decide to go this way.

How about the hand controls, I'm only finding a wiring adapter from Hawg Wired, if I'm correct you posted yours came from Biketronics? I can't find anything on their site. Not having done a head unit swap before, can you select between say the radio & iPod from the hand controls like with stock unit or do you have to switch sources from the radio faceplate?

Last question, I've got the 660 navigation, wired into the navigation interface module from Harley, per some of the other instructions found on the forum. The audio coming from the navigation is spliced into the iPod wiring in the fairing in order to be able to have the audio cut in for directions. Do either of you have any idea how this will work if the head unit is changed to the Alpine?
Is there an extra aux input on the back of the Alpine head unit & if so, will connecting the NIM to this aux input allow the navigation to break in with the audio for directions? From looking at the wiring diagrams for our bikes, when changing the head unit we lose the iPod connector going into the back of the stock radio correct? Meaning it is not used if the head unit is changed, right? That is where my NIM is spliced into, so not sure how to make this work if I go to an Alpine head unit, more specifically, how to get my navigation signals to the radio.

Thnks for any help & I will continue to follow your guy's threads, great ideas & installs!

Allan

@ruiner73  At first I bought both the HawgWired and Biketronics hand control units.  I ended up using the one from Biketronics because it retains the AVC (automatic volume control) when riding at different speeds.  It works pretty well.  The HawgWired solution is nice too but the AVC is pretty important.  I didn't use the faceplate and mounting hardware that came with the Biketronics kit but used HawgWired since its billet aluminum and not plastic.  Hand controls are fully functional.  You change sources by pushing in the right control and push up/down for track up/down.  The left control handles volume and is used (if memory serves) to set the AVC level and sensitivity.  I set the AVC sensitivity once and haven't touched it since the install. If you search on "BT 1005" on the Biketronics site you'll find the AVC hand control kit.

The Alpine iPod/iPhone extension is long enough to run to under the seat. I would have preferred it going all the way to the saddlebag.  Its not a big deal since I have to pull the 4 channel plus sub cable out of the bag anyhow to get it off the bike.  That's a continuous run from the head unit to the AMP in the saddlebag.  I've heard that splicing into an iPod cable is tough since there are a lot of wires and didn't want to deal with that.  Everything I read online said to avoid splicing into an iPod cable.  As for the AUX in according to the manual there is an AUX connector which can be turned on/off in the settings area.  A bluetooth adapter from Alpine can also be fitted...  All this according to the manual.

I have HD's Zumo 665 but its not tied into the radio.  Didn't even think of doing that...  Hmmm...  I use my iPhone on this setup and that does come up on the 665 when I get a call, via bluetooth.  I don't answer it but if its important I at least know who's calling.  At any rate its a decent setup and now that you've mentioned the 665 going through the Alpine for nav directions I may have to look into that. 

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

Emerald Ice -- thanks for posting that pic of the quick connect under your seat.  What great idea!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 25 queries.