Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

Author Topic: CVO to Alaska  (Read 82319 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: CVO to Alaska
« Reply #465 on: July 03, 2014, 12:45:23 AM »

Looks like you got an appreciation kiss thrown in for good measure. Congrats on making all of us on CVOHarley smile as well as that Indian kid.

DH

PS: I have taken to running between 3500 and 4000 for cruising the slab as well.
Damn. Do you still get decent mileage?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #466 on: July 03, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »

Damn. Do you still get decent mileage?

After all the engine mods I've had done the only way I can get good mileage is downhill at 45mph... Har!

DH

PS: MPG is still better than my FJ or any other cage I have owned.

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
« Reply #467 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »

Info would be great for my trip next year. Maybe we could connect up sometime?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #468 on: July 03, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »

I'll say it again, THANKS FOR TAKING US ALONG -- you Chronicles of this epic journey have been fantastic  :2vrolijk_21:

Reminds me a little of a cross country camping trip I took many years ago with my kids when they were young  :trailer:  -- of course I was always much close to civilization than you -- except maybe that one stretch we traveled through in Montana --   

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #469 on: July 03, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

Well, I made it home about 1:00 this afternoon---7600 miles. Got my hug, took a shower, had a nap, grilled a steak and finally, had a salad. Lettuce is scarse up north.  The trip was 7600 miles for me, not counting our car time.  A trip I would wish on all of you.  If I can answer any of your questions or help in any way, please contact me either by this forum or PM me. All I can give is my experience, strength, and hope---hope you will someday see and experience what I did.  Thanks for being there with me.  Fred
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:43:45 PM by Indenial »
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #470 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »

These are some of the thoughts I had while riding and I compiled them over the last two weeks. This is what worked for me:

As my trip is winding down, I thought I would give some of my person comments on equipment for a trip like this.  The biggest thing is to pack for the trip, then leave half of it at home.  We all have our own ways. This is what worked for me:
The must haves:  Good rain gear
                 Gerbings full jacket and G3 gloves
               Two VISA’s
               Modular or full face helmet (not a ¾ helmet)

Rain gear:  I would recommend a good set of gortex riding coat and pants.  Rain gear would be a hassle because it will rain everyday at some point, so you have to wear it all the time.  Also, you need wind protection at 40 degrees and speed.  Also, rain gear “flaps” and that is very fatiguing.  Get a windproof, water proof jacket like a FXRG, Aerostich Darien, KLM or other very good brand. Don’t skimp here.   Same with the riding pants. I just wish the FXRG had a thin nylon hoodie with a Velcro neck and chin protector, which you could put up and wear under your helmet to keep the water from getting on your neck. I haven’t figured that part out yet. It could tuck into the collar when not in use.  I will write HD and make this suggestion. I tried to wear my chaps when I could, but I was changing them several times a day to the riding pants. I have Aerostich Darien light pants and love them, I would get the Aerostich AD-1’s next because they are a low rise and my pants seem to end up under my belly----many of you know what I mean.  But I put them on over my pants and wear them all day.  Warm and dry.  Same with the jacket, windproof is the big thing here.  Unless it has a windproof liner, straight leather will have you cold. Invest some money here, as this is where the biggest benefit will be.  If you’re cold—you’re dangerous.  If you’re cold and wet---you’re dead.  And the feeling of helplessness and loneliness in the middle of nowhere with no place to stop and warm up, can’t be explained.  It plays games with your mind if you think about it too long.  You have to have confidence in your equipment.  My old Boy Scout motto keeps coming back—be prepared.

Gerbings and Gloves:   Hands down, you need electric heat. When I got to Canada I had my Gerbings jacket on all the time. Maybe not plugged in, but on.  The wind chill gets to you after 8 hrs in the saddle, especially when you have 100 miles left to go.  Haven’t worn my fingerless gloves yet. I have Aerostich Elkskin ropers that I wear 70% of the time and Gerbings G3’s that I have to wear every morning, as it’s 40-50 degrees out.  The G3’s tend to get clammy after 2-3 hrs of heat, but they still stay warm.  They claim to have a gortex lining, but they are not waterproof.  I have found after years in the rain, the only thing that will keep my hands dry are the Aerostich Clam finger overgloves. They are great and fast and easy to put on.  They will keep the wind off too. I have a lighter pair of thin leather HD gloves I will wear with these in the rain.  I do tend to sweat with them on, but no water gets in from the outside.

Overpants:  I got the Darien lights from Aerostich several years ago.  The company does a nice job of customer service on getting it right.  I happen to be close enough to drive to Duluth to be fitted. They added 2 inches to the leg length, so when sitting on the bike they kept my ankles covered.  But now I can’t button them----glad they come with a nice belt. It’s the fault of the ice cream and peanuts!!  Other companies make them too. They don’t need to be heavy, just waterproof.   I started out wearing them over my jeans, but the cold wind on my knees gave me a chill.  I now have a pair of Cabela’s fleece pants which I wear over my Smartwool long underware.  With this combo, my legs don’t get cold.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:14:30 PM by Indenial »
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #471 on: July 03, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »

Underware:  I have come to like Smartwool.  It works well for me. I have lots of Underarmour too, but the smartwool is better I feel. It still insulates when wet and dries fast.  I wear the thin long johns under my fleece pants, under my Darien Lights.  On top, I wear Smartwool long sleeve pull over, then a Smartwool ¾ zip thin long sleeve, my Gerbings and FXRG and that’s all.  Keeps me very warm and dry.   And it cuts way down on the packing.  I don’t need a bulky sweatshirt. On the way home, I found that the Smartwool kept me cool with my jacket on and the air vents open.

VISA:  Everyone has traveled enough to know that sometimes one card won’t work and you need another card.  Call your bank and tell them you will be on a trip, so they understand the charges from strange far away places.  You could also hide a second card on the bike somewhere in case you lose your wallet.  I don’t and keep everything on my person. I just keep checking to be sure I have it all at each stop, Passport, cash and wallet. Just be very conscious of it.  I used to be afraid of robbery, but I feel safer in Canada than I do at home. Just great people up here.  When in the States, I always carry my pistol on trips.  You can’t cross the border with one though.  I talked to a game warden in Canada and he said it was because they have to register all their handguns and there would be no way to register them if people could bring them across the border.

Packing:  go light.  I don’t camp, as I want a warm room to dry stuff out and a hot shower at the end of the day. My camping days are over. So without the camping gear, I pack so I don’t need to put an extra bag on the tour pack.  I wear one pair of jeans and that’s it. I don’t pack a spare. If they get wet, they dry out. (But they won’t get wet if you have gortex overpants). If you wear riding pants, they won’t get dirty. So, I have one pair of jeans, one pair of fleece pants.  One short sleeve T shirt and one long sleeve T shirt. As you will buy a couple of T shirts on the way.  And I only wear them at night to a restaurant, otherwise I wear my smartwool.  I wear LDC riding underware and really like them.  I wear them everyday and have two pairs of Underarmour shorts for night after a shower for a couple of hours. I wear short PJ’s and T shirt for sleeping.  I’m not too concerned about smell, as I’m a guy and it’s only me.  I usually will wash all my stuff half way through a trip.

Socks:  one pair thick Smartwool, 2 thin pr for night wear after a shower. One pair can be worn during the day if it warms up enough.

Boots:  just be sure they are waterproof.  My Bates gortex boots worked well for three years and this trip they leaked bad. I think it is the tongue fabric.  I just bought a pair of Harley FXRG boots, so I hope they are better.  (they are waiting at home)

Lodging:  I stay in the cheapest motel I can find. I like the small ones with the doors to the parking lot so I can park my bike right outside.  I also like to help out the private motel owners, instead of the corporations.  In the states you can find them for about $70-$80, but in northern Canada, Yukon, Alaska expect to pay $110 to $160/night.  Stuff is just more expensive up there.

Gas:  fill up often when up north and towns are far apart. You’ll need 150 mile range. My 6 gal tank was no problem.  Had it down to the 40 mi. range three times, according to my bike.  Always gas up when you get to your last town, BEFORE checking into a motel.  If you check in first, you may shower and say “I’ll get gas in the morning”. Beware, because the stations don’t open early. And with the 2-3 hr time difference, 8 am home time is really 5 am in Canada (assuming CST).

Maps:  Get a book called “The Milepost”.  It takes you mile for mile on all the major Canadian and Alaska highways.  It is considered “the bible” for Alaskan trips. Tells you where gas is and motels.  But don’t go completely by it, I saw one gas station was out of gas, just due to demand.  And a GPS is most helpful. That way you don’t need to bring paper maps.
Distance:  we all can ride for different lengths of time.  I usually ride a couple of hard days at the start of the trip when I’m fresh. After a week, I find 400 miles is about right. That usually takes me 10 hrs with stops.  I usually try to stop after the first tank of gas for a café breakfast. It gives me a good rest and good food, then I can go until dinner.  We all have different mile ratings.

Cost:  figure $250-$300 per day.  Gas: 50, Motel: 120 avg., Food: 50-60,  breakfast was 20 with tax and tip and dinners are 18-30 w/o tip, there are a lot of Subway’s here which help cut down the costs. snacks and drinks: 20.  $300 would give you enough for an oil change and a few T shirts as well.  I figured this trip cost me about $5000, not counting Carol’s expenses.

The motorcycle miles were: 7600

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #472 on: July 03, 2014, 09:49:21 PM »

What a trip! What a write up! Thanks for everything. Glad you made it home safe.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #473 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »

Thanks for All of it.  Felt like we were with you  :2vrolijk_21:

Glad your Home safe and sound.

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #474 on: July 04, 2014, 09:23:26 AM »

Great adventure
I appreciate your comments and your photos
Hat off.
Two thumbs up   :2vrolijk_21:

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #475 on: July 04, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »

Sure looks like a very nice ride. Nice log home too!

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #476 on: July 04, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »

Does a bear chit in the woods?---apparently not around here

Ya I saw it once right smack in the middle of the road on the white line,  only one on the road perfectly centered.  At first I thought someone had done it but upon closer examination it was a bear.   LMAO
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #477 on: July 04, 2014, 10:43:56 AM »

Outstanding trip Fred.......thank you for the incredible photography and narration!!!!  Your post trip thoughts will be valuable for everyone doing a trip like this as well.  Welcome back.....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #478 on: July 04, 2014, 01:11:26 PM »

Great follow up on the tips. Glad to see you were able to do such a trip.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #479 on: July 04, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »

What a great thread! 7 days till we leave for our trip. Reading yours helped pass the time I had to wait and answered so many questions I didn't even know I had! I feel better perpaired for this trip of a lifetime now.

Thanks so much Fred.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 25 queries.