Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Thundermax Auto tuner  (Read 4538 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Thundermax Auto tuner
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »

Anyone have any experience with this.. Thinking about getting a tuner. Only downside is having to remove the stock ECM & replace if have to take in to dealer for warranty work...Bike is a 2018 CVO Limited.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

quicked

• quicked
  • Junior CVO Member
  • GOTTA RIDE
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 inferno orange flstse
    • CVO2: 2009 electric orange fltrse3
    • CVO3: 2005 cherry seeg,sold 1994 black,polish and chrome FATBOY 117 CUSTOM S&S SIDEWINDER,BAKER TORQUEBOX,CHAINDRIVE
Re: Thundermax Auto tuner
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »

if you go with thundermax,and have any fob issues such as loosing or dropping it and being runover and crushed you need original ecm to program new fob,keep your original ecm
09 fltrse3, custom hicomp124,,s&s flywheel,axtell cyl,,redshift 647 cams.s&s lifters,roller rockers,jims titanium pushrods.weldedported heads,s&s lifter pushrods,feuling beehive springs,s&s tc3 oilpump cam plate,se 5.3 inj,se 58mm tbody,baker grudgebox,barnett clutch,aims vp,diamondeng race fastnrs,thundermax,d&d boarzilla,2010 flstse,SE10.5 pistons,ported heads,s&s pshrdslifters,rollrrockers,woodscamstw9b6,SE6.2inj,hpi55tbody,barnettclutch,diamondeng race fasteners ,pm calipers,rb race header

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »

For sure will keep the original ECM.  Just not how good the TM is at auto tuning.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »

In my opinion stay away from the TMax, I have removed several over the years and tuned using the stock ECM and TTS. Customers have always been much happier than with the Tmax.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »

+1.   My experience exactly with TM.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »

Doesn’t the TTS leave a footprint on the ECM when u install it.  Just trying to find something that mother HD can’t detect if have any problems.  Plus there isn’t anyone in my area using TTS.  Most places use the Powervision.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

I just put a set of D&D head pipes on the with the 1.75” baffles from full sac in my stock cans.  Is it necessary to need a tuner for this setup. Or can I just run it like it is.  Bike is a 2018 CVO Anniversary Limited. 
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

West AR CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Amethyst White Black Licorice
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »

Now days, at the dealership where I worked, the techs are many times connecting the bike to their diagnostic laptops even during routine maintenance. Doing so can pickup on ECM flashes, etc. Even updating boom audio amps, bleeding antilock brakes etc there’s the opportunity to sniff for illegal maps. The weaker the tech, the better opportunity for him to rely on test equipment and not his abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »

Doesn’t the TTS leave a footprint on the ECM when u install it.  Just trying to find something that mother HD can’t detect if have any problems.  Plus there isn’t anyone in my area using TTS.  Most places use the Powervision.

The TTS does not leave a footprint.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 04:36:46 PM »

I just put a set of D&D head pipes on the with the 1.75” baffles from full sac in my stock cans.  Is it necessary to need a tuner for this setup. Or can I just run it like it is.  Bike is a 2018 CVO Anniversary Limited.

YES! You already have the high flow air cleaner and adding a non cat head pipe and less restrictive baffles will change you fuel requirements.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »

In previous years the TTS could be used to reinstall the original stock map and there wouldn't be any "footprint" left behind.  With the latest changes since 2014, I can't personally confirm that still is the case.  You would need to contact Steve Cole at TTS for a definitive answer to that question.

As for the T-Max, you will need a very good base map for it, the so-called auto tune really isn't.  If they actually have a good base map for your exact setup, you might be fine.  If they don't, you would need to find a tuner that tunes with T-Max to build a good base map for you.  Another thing you need to investigate on a 2014 and later Touring model with CAN bus is whether or not the BCM will recognize and record the change of ECM.  If it does, Harley might still be able to find out about your illegal ECM swap any time the bike is connected to the H-D network at a dealership.  In other words, there are fewer easy answers these days.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »

Talked to someone at Fullsac today about the TTS leaving a footprint on the ECM if returning back to stock. He said the TTS completely copies the entire ECM info & date stamp when it downloads. And when u return back to stock in future it writes all the info back from when it was first programmed.

I talked to a service dept at dealer & he said there was a way around this. First would have to purchase a Pro tuner then put a download onto it then purchase a tuner & then dyno it. That way it seems to HD that only have a Pro tuner installed into ECM & not another tuner. Don't really know if it would work thou like this but said they've done it & so far no problems.. Said total cost around a $1000 for tuners & dyno time...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:23:15 AM »

Talked to someone at Fullsac today about the TTS leaving a footprint on the ECM if returning back to stock. He said the TTS completely copies the entire ECM info & date stamp when it downloads. And when u return back to stock in future it writes all the info back from when it was first programmed.

I talked to a service dept at dealer & he said there was a way around this. First would have to purchase a Pro tuner then put a download onto it then purchase a tuner & then dyno it. That way it seems to HD that only have a Pro tuner installed into ECM & not another tuner. Don't really know if it would work thou like this but said they've done it & so far no problems.. Said total cost around a $1000 for tuners & dyno time...

Be VERY careful believing stuff like this from people in dealerships.  I'm pretty sure what they told you is bogus, H-D's system can pick up the latest change not just the first one.  It's a good way for a shop to make a tidy amount of money though, selling you two tuning devices instead of one, plus a tune.  And if they are like many/most Harley dealers, they probably don't have a great tuner on staff so the tune they provide may not be the greatest (or in some places not even good).  Buyer Beware applies.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

From all the reporting to date (and my own understanding of the various hardwares involved) that stretches credulity.  The Protuner isn't just an external overlay (like the old Power Commanders used to be) to the ECM.  That's the only way what's being described would work.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »

I'd sure quiz them as to what this means exactly.  Have they had a motor with a warranty issue that was done this way and it passed the moco's muster?  I'd want a guarantee in writing from the dealer that if this didn't work the dealer would warranty your motor.  They could always say it worked before but something might have changed.  Oh well, so sorry.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »

I just ordered the TTS. Only tuner I know of that returns ECM back to stock.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »

I just ordered the TTS. Only tuner I know of that returns ECM back to stock.

Good Choice! :2vrolijk_21:

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 07:21:54 AM »

Which map should I load.  I have D&D head pipes and 1.75” fullsac baffles.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 02:56:09 PM »

Was at a dealer on a customers bike talking to their service writer about this.  He said it could detect a TTS MTE file that was loaded back it.  Since I was in Missouri I said show me.  If you find it I would pay for shop time.  If he couldn't.  No charge.  He stuttered, tap danced, maybe even started to fake being sick.  Test never got done.

On another note.  I do quit a bit of tuning for another dealer.  They sell the TTS and I only get to tune.  This is my go to place any time I ever hear anything from locked ECM's and brake bleeding or key fob, or the mothership can tell.  A lot of false info floating around out there.   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 12:22:20 AM »

I know 100% that on a 17 at least MoCo could not see that bike was tuned with a TTS after put back to stock.
Alan

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »

With all the headaches you get with the M8 and tuning I am happy I have. S&S V124 with 10:1 compression and a 585 cam very dependable.

Bill E

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE Sherwood Pearl
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »

Know I’m late to the conversation, but I’m riding 2018 CVO RG.  Was set up with V&H cross overs and TTS tuner.  Switched over to D&D and the Thundermax.  Not sure if it’s the pipes, tuner or both, but performance is noticeably improved.  I have the dyna results for both and will post em if anyone is interested.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »

Please post those dyno results.  The D&D certainly improved your setup but the TTS is more than capable of providing a perfect tune.  Just my opinion, but I feel you went backwards when you removed the factory ECM and installed the tmax.  I realize you are happy with it but money would have been better invested in a proper tune using the TTS. Again, just my opinion.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »

Please post those dyno results.  The D&D certainly improved your setup but the TTS is more than capable of providing a perfect tune.  Just my opinion, but I feel you went backwards when you removed the factory ECM and installed the tmax.  I realize you are happy with it but money would have been better invested in a proper tune using the TTS. Again, just my opinion.

Facts!! D&D will far outperform the VH pipe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:06:05 PM by hd-dude »

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »

Facts!! D&D will far outperform the VH pipe.

Seems like d and d promotes t max. I would like to see a dyno map tho to see how it’s truely working.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.