Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yaffe bars on my new 2018 FLHXSE. Dealer left a 1/2” gap on clutch side!  (Read 2071 times)

Connole

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • UT

I’m new here but need some advice or words of encouragement as I’m really STRESSED over the look of a HUGE gap on bars on my new darling. Dealer claims clutch fluid reservoir won’t allow the grip/clutch assembly to move closer to center even if they disassemble and cut 1/2” off the left bar end. Bars are Yaffe 10” and bike has heated grips ( which is what’s to blame for the gap). Anybody have experience w this situation? Yaffe is looking into the situation as well. The bar specs do indicate the left bar side is 7.625” and right grip side is 7.2” before step-up. Thanks so much for any info.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook

I think the installer is feeding you a line of bull. I don't have an FLH but my FLTR installs for Yaffe have always been difficult. This last time the technician had to deburr the inside of the handlebar to fit the heated grips. If you talk to Yaffe, they'll tell you all the stock hardware should fit back on. The techs have a different experience based on my installs.

Best you can do is talk to both Yaffe and the Tech. Get them to talk to each other. Yaffee may have some suggestions.

Simon

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold

Almost all aftermarket bars have to have 3/8" cut off the left side for the heated grips, tell your installer to read the directions that came with the bars. He should have known or figured it out regardless.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:13:43 AM by Mr. Warlock »
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook

Almost all aftermarket bars have to have cut 3/8" off the left side for the heated grips, tell your installer to read the directions that came with the bars. He should have known or figured it out regardless.

:o

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)

Almost all aftermarket bars have to have cut 3/8" off the left side for the heated grips, tell your installer to read the directions that came with the bars. He should have known or figured it out regardless.
I'm glad I didn't know this when I installed my KST Kustoms bars. They fit fine with my heated grips without being cut. Not Yaffe, but I wouldn't accept that gap if I paid someone to do the work.

donk_316

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: FXSE

Not uncommon at when mix - matching aftermarket parts with HD.

Trim the left side bar and save yourself the pearl clutching melodramatics.

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited

OP that really stinks! There are directions that come in the package that clearly state that your MUST trim the bars if using heated grips. It also states on their website I am pretty sure.

I installed WO578 Wild Ones on a 2016 Limited and I installed Yaffe 10" Monkey bars on my 2017 CVO Limited. I had to trim about 3/8" off the clutch side. On the Yaffe's I also had to trim about 1/8" off the throttle side to get rid of the dreaded gap.

I would be very upset paying a professional and getting that result. They are 100% totally wrong. I will try to post pictures of mine to prove the gap is gone. Also that is a huge gap. My guess is they really don't have the grips and controls pushed all the way onto the bar.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:36:24 PM by Spiked Olive »

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black

Should be any easy enough fix...get yourself a pipe cutter like the one below and trim 3/8” off.  I don’t have heated grips so I may be speaking out of turn here but I would imagine that you’d only have to remove the grip to do this

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.