Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Hot Legs (leg!)  (Read 3303 times)

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
Hot Legs (leg!)
« on: July 02, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

I am suffering with a hot inner leg, right side. The bike is 2011 ultra cvo road glide. Standard except for monster ovals. Anyone with ideas would be appreciated. :-\

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hot Legs (leg!)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »

I am suffering with a hot inner leg, right side. The bike is 2011 ultra cvo road glide. Standard except for monster ovals. Anyone with ideas would be appreciated. :-\

It's not legal, but removing that catalytic converter sitting near your right foot and calf might make a pretty significant difference.  You would need to have the bike tuned as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »

Call Steve George at Fullsac and talk with him. I would get his X-Pipe "D" and the TTS MasterTune at a minimum. He will provide a calibration file you can download to your ECM using the TTS MasterTune. You can then further refine the calibration using the MasterTune or have it pro tuned.

He also makes excellent baffles in varying sizes for the CVO cans, but since you already have Monster Ovals I would talk with him about what to do with those - leave them as-is or retrofit them with his CVO PowerCore baffles...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Goobie

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »

I had a 2011 rio red ultra road glide cvo  ran hot from day one. Traded to a 2012 maple and black cvo road glide without LOWERS night and day difference. Lowers are your problem no air to front cylinder. Take off and try cost nothing.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »

I had a 2011 rio red ultra road glide cvo  ran hot from day one. Traded to a 2012 maple and black cvo road glide without LOWERS night and day difference. Lowers are your problem no air to front cylinder. Take off and try cost nothing.

That may relieve the issue a bit... But it does nothing to fix the reason why all of that heat is being generated - which is due to the cat, the restrictive exhaust, the SE 255 cams, and the very lean ECM calibration that comes stock to please the EPA...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »

While I agree, lower due contribute to the heat, removing them is not the solution.  I have a 12 CVO Roadglide and 13 CVO King.  The road glide has no lowers during the summer, the king has lowers year round.  Both have a fullsac head pipe to lower the temp, and the temperatures are very close between the two bikes.  Yes in stop and go the King is about 10 to 15 degrees hotter due to the lowers or, the motor due to it having a lot more compression, and cam.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:18 AM »

Removing the Cat is the only fix. Can be done for free if you have a welder.....or a buddy that does.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:42:52 AM »

Per the manual, removing the lowers may make you cooler, but it doesn't make the engine run cooler.  They're designed to channel more air to the front cylinder.

I removed my stock headpipe and crossover, and replaced them with a ceramic coated Jackpot header and crossover.  I've remapped the ECM with a PowerVision tuner.  The bike runs smoother, stronger, and cooler.  Others have had luck with Fullsac components, and have reported similar results.
The best you've had is the best you know.

jcd520

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:59:53 PM »

Fullsac.
 Got DX pipe , and lowers on my RG , no more problem!!!!!!! or just remove the cat from yours.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 02:46:09 PM »

Fullsac.
 Got DX pipe , and lowers on my RG , no more problem!!!!!!! or just remove the cat from yours.

Thank's everyone for the responses. Just a couple of questions.

1.0  Even though the model is the 2011 cvo road glide ultra I bought it new last September 2012, so still a lot of guarantee (warranty) left. So, I presume  if I remove the 'Cat' the guarantee is effected.

2.0  If I do remove the 'Cat' will I have to fit a stage 1 fuel map or similar because of the clearer breathing.

3.0  Thinking maybe if I took it to the dealers they will fit straight thro' headers and fuel pack, is this a good idea?

Regards

JohnT :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:52:38 PM by johnmowcop »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »

Voltage regulator went out on my 12 when traveling.  Dealer in MI replaced my regulator under warranty no questions, and my bike has a Fullsac head pipe, (no Cat) and his 2.25 baffles and TTS tuner.  Also have had the clutch master Cylinder replaced under warranty, and the compensator.

Most dealer will not say much about a head pipe, mufflers and tune.  More than that and its a crap shoot.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »

Most dealer will not say much about a head pipe, mufflers and tune.  More than that and its a crap shoot.
It pays to have a good relationship with your local dealer(s).  I've decided I don't need more than a Stage 1 primarily because I don't want the hassle of if/when something breaks, having to argue about aftermarket parts.

I also think (for me, not for anyone else) that it's just silly spending a bunch of money to add 10 horsepower to a 900 pound touring bike that'll still get its clock cleaned by a V6 Accord.  I have a go-fast bike in the garage....Arguably one of the most expensive Softails on the planet....and it'll get flat embarrassed by anyone on a 600cc sportbike.  I could have spent what I spent on the engine of that bike on a used Ninja and gone way faster....Oh well....

The best you've had is the best you know.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »

Thank's everyone for the responses. Just a couple of questions.

1.0  Even though the model is the 2011 cvo road glide ultra I bought it new last September 2012, so still a lot of guarantee (warranty) left. So, I presume  if I remove the 'Cat' the guarantee is effected.

2.0  If I do remove the 'Cat' will I have to fit a stage 1 fuel map or similar because of the clearer breathing.

3.0  Thinking maybe if I took it to the dealers they will fit straight thro' headers and fuel pack, is this a good idea?

Regards

JohnT :)

John, it's hard for someone in the USA to give you a good answer to at least some of those questions.  In the USA the removal of the catalyst and retuning would indeed void the emissions system warranty, and at least in theory Harley could choose to void the powertrain portion of the warranty as well.  It's not a definite yes or no however.  In Britain I would guess you would need to check with the importer, since any warranty would actually be offered through them, and emission laws and rules would of course be different as well.

As for a Fuel Pak, you'd be much better off with a real tuning solution.  Check around your area and see if there are any qualified tuners, then ask them about which devices and software packages they recommend. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

Jerry and all thank's very much for the advice.

Jerry, by a real tuning solution do you mean a Power Commander or similar, or something else?

JohnT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

Jerry and all thank's very much for the advice.

Jerry, by a real tuning solution do you mean a Power Commander or similar, or something else?

JohnT

I think with a late model Harley with closed loop engine management you would be better served with one of the flash tuners that is used to reprogram the stock ECM, as opposed to any of the add-on or piggyback devices like the older Power Commanders or especially the boxes like the Fuel Pak.  Some choices over here are the TTS MasterTune, the SEPST (Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner) from Harley, the Power Vision from the Power Commander folks, etc.  I'm not sure what is readily available in the UK.  And of course the first thing would be to find a fully competent person to do the tuning, then ask him which tuning package he prefers to use.  If the UK is anything like the US, finding the fully competent person to do the tuning will be the toughest part of the entire undertaking.

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.