Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock CVO Muffler Cores with Fullsac Headpipe?  (Read 4929 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
Stock CVO Muffler Cores with Fullsac Headpipe?
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

Did a Fullsac install on my 2011 SERG and the factory cores look like the attached photo. I read somewhere that the 2015 muffler core has a different design and trying to decide if worthwhile to use the stock mufflers with a cat-less head-pipe. For me, even the 1.75" Fullsac cores became a bit much during extended touring ::) (although they sounded very good for cruising).

Would someone who's done a Fullsac install on their 2015 CVO please post some informative photos of the 2015 CVO muffler cores they've pulled ???? Thanks in advance ;D!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 08:08:43 PM by TRIGGER-MAN »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Stock CVO Muffler Cores with Fullsac Headpipe?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »

The 1.75 Fullsac baffles.....how much packing did you use?  Did you use the packing mesh screens to hold the packing in place?  From everything I've read, that makes a big difference.  Somebody recently posted a pic of the packing that didn't have the wire mesh screens to hold it in place and the packing was a joke.

On my 13 SEUC I went with the 1.75 to keep it as quiet as I could.  I told Steve that if I could knock the heat down and keep the stock exhaust....I would keep the stock exhaust.

The 1.75 opened it up a bit but it didn't bother me on the ride home (a few hundred miles) like I thought it would.  If you still have the 1.75 you might want to get new packing and the wire mesh screens from Fullsac and try that options.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »

Not a direct answer to your question, but for extended touring, ear plugs do the trick.  As I get older, I find the wind noise is much worse than moderate exhaust/intake noise.  Plus, it exacerbates my tinnitus - probably caused by NOT wearing ear plugs for a years.  Oddly, I wore earplugs from about 1998 to 2007, then stopped for about 5 years.  Thought that it was a lot quieter behind the fairing.  I even wear them with in-helmet head sets - the system is designed to be loud enough to hear thru the plugs.
Spada84
NoSofa!

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:35:28 PM »

I currently have fullsac DX installed and I'm using the SE slipons. Sounds great and I dont seem to need a map yet.
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »

The 1.75 Fullsac baffles.....how much packing did you use?  Did you use the packing mesh screens to hold the packing in place?  From everything I've read, that makes a big difference.  Somebody recently posted a pic of the packing that didn't have the wire mesh screens to hold it in place and the packing was a joke.
Thanks JCZ .......I did use the screens and even tried a more dense packing material. Using the X-pipe w/o cat allows a direct path. Sounded good for awhile, but after 4-6 hours in the saddle day after day on a six week road trip, it got to me :'(
Not a direct answer to your question, but for extended touring, ear plugs do the trick.  As I get older, I find the wind noise is much worse than moderate exhaust/intake noise.  Plus, it exacerbates my tinnitus -
I've got a bit of tinnitus as well spada84, but I want to hear what's going on around me traffic-wise and I gotta believe ear plugs might just compromise my ability to sense potential dangers ::)
I currently have fullsac DX installed and I'm using the SE slipons. Sounds great and I dont seem to need a map yet.
So you simply eliminated the catalytic converter and stayed with the stock SE mufflers ZVO .......good to know that produces a better sound. The sense that you don't need a new map suggests you didn't get much of a performance increase though ???. Sure would love for someone to post a photo of the 2015 factory core they removed during a Fullsac install ;D
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:35:18 AM »

I've got a bit of tinnitus as well spada84, but I want to hear what's going on around me traffic-wise and I gotta believe ear plugs might just compromise my ability to sense potential dangers
I thought so too, but the soft foam ear plugs are magic   ???  They block a lot of wind noise and some exhaust.  They're cheap, too, so it's an easy experiment.

If no '15 baffle pics come up, you can always remove and reinstall the stockers just like doing Fullsacs.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  Minimum exhaust noise?  Keep stock mufflers and header.  Very slight increase in exhaust?  Stock header, either with 1.75" baffles or stock baffles with a few extra holes.  More exhaust?  Stock header with CFR mufflers; good deep sound but not obnoxious.

Could also put on what you want for local riding, then, for long touring, put the stock system back on.

Edit:  CircleRacer posted pics of '15 CVO cores:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=101982.0;all
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:38:37 AM by DoubleCoppers »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »

I thought so too, but the soft foam ear plugs are magic   ???  They block a lot of wind noise and some exhaust.  They're cheap, too, so it's an easy experiment. Can these soft foam earplugs be ordered online ......like at Amazon.com?

If no '15 baffle pics come up, you can always remove and reinstall the stockers just like doing Fullsacs.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  Minimum exhaust noise?  Keep stock mufflers and header.  Very slight increase in exhaust?  Stock header, either with 1.75" baffles or stock baffles with a few extra holes. Know of any threads with information on drilling the stock cores? More exhaust?  Stock header with CFR mufflers; good deep sound but not obnoxious. Looking for more power along with a deeper sound. Looking for that deeper sound to NOT have the typical 110 pounding/hammering which got to me with the Fullsac header and 1/75" cores. Thinking of trying the SE High-Flow Exhaust System w/Nightstick Mufflers (#64800022)

Could also put on what you want for local riding, then, for long touring, put the stock system back on.

Edit:  CircleRacer posted pics of '15 CVO cores:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=101982.0;all
Yes ......saw those excellent CircleRacer pics. It's difficult to see exactly how the new design works .......guess I'll need to pop one of the cores out. Thanks for taking the time to offer advice DoubleCoppers :2vrolijk_21:
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

Trigger-Man,

Foam ear plugs in bulk are available at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and many HD dealers carry them in packs of two plugs.  Amazon has many to choose from: url]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foam+ear+plugs[/url]

Thinking of trying the SE High-Flow Exhaust System w/Nightstick Mufflers (#64800022

Does that SE header have a catalytic converter in it, and do the Nightsticks come with the tuning discs?  Most of the headers without cat are going to be loud(er), but mufflers with tuning discs and closed end caps can limit the loudness.  Not sure about the power output.

Looking for more power along with a deeper sound. Looking for that deeper sound to NOT have the typical 110 pounding/hammering

My riding buddy has CFR mufflers on the stock header.  Sounds great; deep but not loud...BUT probably doesn't give any/much more power.  This is one of those trade-off situations that involves deciding which is more important.  Good luck with your choice.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

Thinking of trying the SE High-Flow Exhaust System w/Nightstick Mufflers (#64800022

Does that SE header have a catalytic converter in it, and do the Nightsticks come with the tuning discs?  Most of the headers without cat are going to be loud(er), but mufflers with tuning discs and closed end caps can limit the loudness.  Not sure about the power output.
The SE High Flow header is slightly larger diameter and has no cat. Each of the two larger diameter inlet Nightsticks has a free-flowing cat however. The setup is supposed to add about 5hp ......and yes, the Nightsticks come with tuning discs ;D!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »

I wouldnt wait to long. When i put the DX head pipe and Rineharts on the bike was flat especialll off the line. I'm sure after that swap you are running very lean.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »

I wouldnt wait to long. When i put the DX head pipe and Rineharts on the bike was flat especialll off the line. I'm sure after that swap you are running very lean.

:2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

I don't recall anyone removing the CAT and not tuning for the lean condition.......for very long. 

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.