Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can changing stock muffler cores void warranty  (Read 2662 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Can changing stock muffler cores void warranty
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »

I recently bought some Fullsac 2" cores & tech mat kit for my 2018 CVO Anniversary Limited. Was wondering if changing the stock cores out would possibly void warranty. I know a non HD tuner is a big no no thou..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Can changing stock muffler cores void warranty
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:32:50 PM »

Best (written for laymen rather than lawyers) article I remember reading on the settlement last year and the obligations accepted/imposed by and on Mother Harley (and the dealers) is linked below:

http://www.thecycleblog.com/2016/12/09/will-changing-the-exhaust-on-my-2017-harley-davidson-void-my-warranty/

Any emissions change not certified to be 50 state compliant can bite you in the arse.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:48:42 AM »

I recently bought some Fullsac 2" cores & tech mat kit for my 2018 CVO Anniversary Limited. Was wondering if changing the stock cores out would possibly void warranty. I know a non HD tuner is a big no no thou..

While its low probability, in today’s world, changing exhaust to non-EPA approved could definitely result in a voided drivetrain warranty.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »

That's a tougher one to answer than it would be for changing out the headpipes, which is a definite emissions violation.  We have to remember that emissions isn't just the amount of CO, NOx, and HC coming out of the system, there is also something called sound emissions that also have to meet standards.  I'm not sure where you could get a 100% reliable and accurate answer to the question, but I'm pretty sure Harley isn't going to tell you it's OK.  They would rather sell you their street legal higher flow exhaust system and street tuner.

As long as you don't change the tune, there won't be an electronic fingerprint to trip you up.  But if someone at a dealership wanted to screw with you, they could easily tell the mufflers had been modified.  What are the odds of that happening?  I have no clue.

Ultimately, we all have to make our personal choices and then live with the consequences.  Personally, I think I would take the chance on a muffler mod, but not the headpipe and catalyst.  If it's really important to you to increase the sound level, you could always look for some take-off mufflers from one of the guys who changed out the system and install the new cores in those while keeping your stock mufflers stored.  Then if you have a problem that requires a trip to the dealership, just swap the mufflers.  Once the factory warranty is gone, and I assume the reason for your question is you value the warranty and don't want to throw it away, then you could do whatever you want.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »

I would have to argue that a slip-on is just a muffler and wears/rusts out and requires replacement. So no warranty impact should exist. Similar to you buying a NAPA muffler for your Impala. But the headpipe has the cat which is a law to have, if replaced it would have to have a similar or certified cat and other than Harley who makes one of those?
All a dark area all of a sudden. I have a Fullsac insert and never worried about it as dealer here still installs all brands of slip-ons but when on a trip, who knows.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »

I would have to argue that a slip-on is just a muffler and wears/rusts out and requires replacement. So no warranty impact should exist. Similar to you buying a NAPA muffler for your Impala. But the headpipe has the cat which is a law to have, if replaced it would have to have a similar or certified cat and other than Harley who makes one of those?
All a dark area all of a sudden. I have a Fullsac insert and never worried about it as dealer here still installs all brands of slip-ons but when on a trip, who knows.

Not similar at all. Read the warranty information at the back of your owners manual. Also read the stamping on your muffler. Tampering with an EPA approved muffler can void your warranty. Installing a non-epa approved muffler can also void your drivetrain warranty.

I’m not happy about it either and have definitely had non-epa approved exhaust on past motorcycles. In the past, I would say it was a low risk of voiding a factory warranty. But given the PMs I’ve received from guys that have lost their warranties, the odds are far higher of losing your warranty that at any time in the past.

The MoCo appears to be “looking” for reasons to void their factory warranty. My recommendation, if your warranty matters to you, don’t give them a reason to screw you out of your warranty.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »

Well I just changed out the cores & put the 2" Fullsac in. Really can't tell there in there unless u look for the bolt on bottom of muffler. They do sound little better than the stock cores thou...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »

Another good way to increase sound and flow on these later CVO 4" mufflers is to remove that restrictor plug at the end of the baffle.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:37:07 AM »

With all the issues I had with multiple sumpings and the "battle" with Harley since (finally over..) the Fullsacs were never an issue and I addressed them directly in the first meeting. Rep said as long as tuner and cat were not messed with (EPA) that was not an issue. When the subsequent motors after 1st sump were put back in they re installed the Fullsacs while all work was approved by moco. In final settlement paperwork with moco its is listed that they will be removing Fullsacs from my 17 and installing in 19 they will be providing me.
Alan

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »

And don't forget to remove trailer hitch if you have one.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »

And don't forget to remove trailer hitch if you have one.
Once you have some experience ....it's only  25 minute job on a lift table....so I've heard!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 01:39:48 AM »

Once you have some experience ....it's only  25 minute job on a lift table....so I've heard!
I bet we can do it faster than that.   ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »

prolly an hour if you factor in refreshment break ;D

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.