Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Gauge issue  (Read 686 times)

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
Fuel Gauge issue
« on: October 09, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »

Just took my 2010 CVO SG out after it’s been in pieces over the last couple days. I replaced the inner fairing with one that would fit a double din radio. During the process I removed the tank to give myself a little more elbow room. Not my first time. Obviously, I had to remove all the gauges as well.

The issue is my tank is almost empty, yet my gauge is reading full. When the bike is off, the gauge is on ‘E’ so I know I have power. When I turn the bike on, the needle slowly moves to “F”. My reserve is reading the correct amount as well (~50mi left).I shook the bike a bit to see if I just needed to knock the float back in place… no luck there. It took almost 2 hrs trying to reinstall the outer fairing so I’d hate to have to go through that again… even though I might have to.

Seem to be having the same issue with my Air Temp Gauge as well. The needle is stuff to the far left, so I may have to check that for power.

Any suggestions besides ‘you don’t need your fuel gauge – just focus on your reserve’. I went through a lot of trouble over the years to ensure this bike stays flawless. Hopefully, this is just a rookie fix or something I may have overlooked.

Thanks - Joe
-Joe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Fuel Gauge issue
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »

Just took my 2010 CVO SG out after it’s been in pieces over the last couple days. I replaced the inner fairing with one that would fit a double din radio. During the process I removed the tank to give myself a little more elbow room. Not my first time. Obviously, I had to remove all the gauges as well.

The issue is my tank is almost empty, yet my gauge is reading full. When the bike is off, the gauge is on ‘E’ so I know I have power. When I turn the bike on, the needle slowly moves to “F”. My reserve is reading the correct amount as well (~50mi left).I shook the bike a bit to see if I just needed to knock the float back in place… no luck there. It took almost 2 hrs trying to reinstall the outer fairing so I’d hate to have to go through that again… even though I might have to.

Seem to be having the same issue with my Air Temp Gauge as well. The needle is stuff to the far left, so I may have to check that for power.

Any suggestions besides ‘you don’t need your fuel gauge – just focus on your reserve’. I went through a lot of trouble over the years to ensure this bike stays flawless. Hopefully, this is just a rookie fix or something I may have overlooked.

Thanks - Joe

Could the connectors from the two gauges have been placed on the wrong gauges?  Could either connector be on upside down or only partially on? 

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 06:46:25 PM »

That’s a good theory. I’ll probably get inpatient and try it out after dinner.
-Joe

joejoebobo

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »

Got super impatient and checked before dinner. That was exactly what I did... swapped the 2 back and fixed both my issues. Total rookie mistake. Thanks again Sir!
-Joe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »

Got super impatient and checked before dinner. That was exactly what I did... swapped the 2 back and fixed both my issues. Total rookie mistake. Thanks again Sir!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 24 queries.