Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 7 in. Daymaker Adaptive LED Headlamp  (Read 916 times)

wldct2

• MD

• CVO1: 200O FLTRSEI
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI
    • CVO3: ‘95 FXR, ‘02 FLH + Sidecar; ‘02 FXSTDI; ‘14 FLHTK
7 in. Daymaker Adaptive LED Headlamp
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:54:22 PM »

Hello All,

First, this is my first post on CVOHARLEY.

Second, can anyone tell me the difference between the headlamps for these two part numbers, the 7 in. Daymaker Adaptive LED Headlamp, p/n 67700427A vs p/n 67700427?

The latter (without the "A" on the end of the p/n) has been discontinued/is obsolete. I have found p/n 67700427 available at a local dealer for a deep discount because it is discontinued/is obsolete. The adaptive headlamp/headlight is mfg’d by J.W. Speaker for the MoCo. I contacted J.W. Speaker to ask if they would describe the difference between the p/n's for me. JW Speaker replied that information is propriety to the MoCo.

Finally, can anyone share any information or review about using an Adaptive headlamp, regardless of brand?

Thank you for your time and consideration of my request,
Wldct2

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
Re: 7 in. Daymaker Adaptive LED Headlamp
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »

Usually that refers to a black version s chrome reflector version

wldct2

• MD

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:35 PM »

DOCGSS,

That makes sense now. Intuition tells me that that a chrome headlamp is chrome, which is no longer offered. I cannot find any color option of the MoCo website other than  black; hence the "A" on the end. For me, color is not an issue as compared to to the price.

Thanks,
Wldct2

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »

This headlight is on my 2020 SG CVO. It is much better than the standard headlight through the corners. But it is not as good as the original JWSeaker adaptive headlight that I put on ,y 2014 RK CVO.IMO  Harley should have left a good thing alone rather than worrying about a unique look.

wldct2

• MD

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »

I asked the same question on the HD FORUM, and got a reply that made sense and had some good information in it. See below.

REPLY from HD FORUM

I have the gen 1 model which only works on low beam. Looking to replace with the gen two which works on both high and low beam but $850.00 is holding me back.

**BREAK**

Given this information, and reviewing the part descriptions on MoCo's website, the "A" at the end may be a functional indicator for the gen 1 model not working in High Beam, amongst other changes. The description and video for the current headlamp, with the "A", clearly state the adaptive function works in both low and high beam. For that price point, functionality in both beams is a requirement for me. Therefore, I'm going to enquire more on this topic with the local dealer I'm talking to for the headlamp without the "A", to include investigate the box and literature with the headlamp.

Thanks for the discussion!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »

Letters that suffix a part number are a revision to that part and not a new or separate part.  They designate any kind of manufacturing, source, material or other change.  So an A at the end wouldn't differentiate between black and chrome.  Each would have their own part number.  The A at the end would mean that the original part was still a functional equivalent but that it had changed in some way. 

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 01:12:43 PM »

With Harley any letter is a revision/change to the part. The fitment remains the same. For instance if you see a part with a B you are looking at the 3rd change and so on. I never buy a part with the earlier part number if I know of an update.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

wldct2

• MD

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 02:48:49 PM »

motor1,

Thanks for the reply and info about the revision/change. Please share why you never buy a part if you know there is an update.

Also, does your perspective in regards to not buying a older version of a part apply if the part is priced at a significant discount?

Thanks,
Wldct2

wldct2

• MD

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 03:46:49 PM »

just installed a 7 in. Daymaker Adaptive LED Headlamp, p/n 67700427. It’s an obsolete p/n. The current p/n is 67700427A. I purchases the obsolete part for $500, new in the box. I had it installed on my 2014 FLHTK, and I had the running/fog lights configured so that they will stay on with High beam on. Prior parts and configuration was all stock. Yesterday was my first day of use. Last night I went out for a short ride to evaluate and look for improvement with the new headlamp and change.

It was defiantly an improvement! I’m unsure if the adaptive technology is working, for I cannot detect if the adaptive led arc’s are illuminating in a corner at speed. They do not illuminate when still. I rode with the running/fog lights both on and off to try and detect adaptive illumination. Again , I could not detect if the adaptive led lights in the act were illuminating in the corners. In my research, the latter is how the adaptive technology is intended to work. As stated, the headlamp is definitely an improvement over stock! Also, having the running/fog lights on regardless of low or high beam is a must!

Can anyone provide a suggestion on how to confirm the adaptive lights technology is working correctly while the headlamp is installed, riding or sitting still.

Thanks for reading,
Wldct2

wldct2

• MD

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »

To clarify, relative to this post, HD customer service confirmed to me that the adaptive technology will work in both low and high beam for p/n 67700427.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 09:35:43 PM »

just installed a 7 in. Daymaker Adaptive LED Headlamp, p/n 67700427. It’s an obsolete p/n. The current p/n is 67700427A. I purchases the obsolete part for $500, new in the box. I had it installed on my 2014 FLHTK, and I had the running/fog lights configured so that they will stay on with High beam on. Prior parts and configuration was all stock. Yesterday was my first day of use. Last night I went out for a short ride to evaluate and look for improvement with the new headlamp and change.

It was defiantly an improvement! I’m unsure if the adaptive technology is working, for I cannot detect if the adaptive led arc’s are illuminating in a corner at speed. They do not illuminate when still. I rode with the running/fog lights both on and off to try and detect adaptive illumination. Again , I could not detect if the adaptive led lights in the act were illuminating in the corners. In my research, the latter is how the adaptive technology is intended to work. As stated, the headlamp is definitely an improvement over stock! Also, having the running/fog lights on regardless of low or high beam is a must!

Can anyone provide a suggestion on how to confirm the adaptive lights technology is working correctly while the headlamp is installed, riding or sitting still.

Thanks for reading,
Wldct2
On my BMW GA it came with a adaptive headlight but I put LRD running lights on which work great so I cant tell either when the headlight is "adapting". I live in the boonies a bit with lots of critters running around so I wasn't going to depend on a single headlight. The running lights are Clearwaters which are crazy bright.
Alan

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.