Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ceramic Coating FLTRUSE tomorrow.....  (Read 5216 times)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
Ceramic Coating FLTRUSE tomorrow.....
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »

I've decided to give Lucille a present and have her washed in suds (think Cool Hand Luke), detailed, clayed and then ceramic coated.  Process will be started tomorrow and I expect will take two detailers the better part of 2 days.

This afternoon, I stripped her down, removing the Tourpak (then speaker pods), saddlebags, seat, console, etc.

Coating will be Crystal Serum Light, finished in EXO.

Lucille is a '15 CVO RGU.  She's Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset.   I love the colors, but over time, she has developed very fine swirl marks that I hope to eliminate via this process.

Not sure how many in the group have done ceramic coatings, but I'll post the results.   
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:58:59 PM by zigzag930 »

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Re: Ceramic Coating FLTRUSE tomorrow.....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

A.  Love that you call her Lucile.
B.  Love the Cool Hand Luke reference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »

2 men, 2 days to detail a bike seems/is excessive. I have done this kind of work & if you are comfortable with these guys taking this long then fine, but keep a close eye out. That has to be close to a grand including materials. If u are OK with it then great, but I hate to see anyone overcharged.
There are some guys that remove the tins and they are in that time frame for 1 guy.
Good luck, it should hopefully look great!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

I can see the two days (one for correcting the paint and then applying the coating and another for the coating to cure).  And, I'd actually be surprised if you can get it done for $1,000.  I'm thinking closer to two.

I ceramic coated my '12 SEUC this spring, but the jury is still out for me on whether or not it was worth it.  It is definitely a bit of a time consuming process and the coatings are not cheap.  May be just as good to do a paint correction with a more traditional pint sealant, as needed.  Time will tell.  I will say the shine is pretty amazing, though.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 10:43:50 PM »

I have ceramic coated  both my bikes using Pinnacle Back Label product. My detailer gave me a few different brands to choose from as he works with many and says all the quality brands seem to work the same. I Chose Black Label because they had a
quick detailer (others probably do also) with ceramic booster in it that I use after every ride just to knock the bugs and dirt off to keep them looking right. Love the way they turned out. I don't think the ceramic really does anything to harden the paint as some claim but I have used just about every "better mouse trap" that comes out when it comes to detail products and all the quality ones do work great but the ceramic coating definitely has worked and looked the best and it does seem like when I use the "quick detailer" spray after each ride that the bugs and dirt comes off much faster and easier!
Alan

dm930

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide (Hard Candy Mercury)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »

Love the different perspectives here since I am a detail nut with respect to keeping my ride looking perfect but.....

:worthless:
2015 CVO SG
2013 Fatboy Lo
and 20 others I can't remember....

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

HunDer is correct, the jury is still out. I did mine with Pinnacle a couple years ago. Bought 3 oz from Autogeek and it was easy to apply, nice shine when dry. Still have to do normal paint prep just like any other time you clean and wax the bike prior to applying the sealant.
Lasted several months as far as beading water, I wash the bike fully (remove bags, seat, tourpak pad etc weekly). I won't use the sealant again. I can get just as nice shine using pure carnuba, may have to do it more often but then my time is cheap. I also use Orbital buffer everywhere I can reach with 6" pad then a 3" pad for tighter spots. I really doubt anyone can tell difference between correctly applied carnuba (applied with orbital and correct pad) and the WAY more expensive "ceramic" sealants.
On another point I have started in the last six months to use my Foamer on the bike, the Chemical Guys Honeydew Soap is slick, makes dust and everything else "release" and wash off very easy, I still wash overall with a soft mitt and two buckets but the initial foam just makes it easier. Rinse with hose using shower head type nozzle, a little blowing with Metro and final dry with Big Blue  Micro Fiber drying towel makes washing much easier. Sometimes new products are good.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »

Ok, so they did finish up in just under a full day, rather than two.  Job started at 9:30 and they finished at 5:00.

The bike looks great, but it's still apart.  Was told that I should wait 12 hours before handling the parts, so no big deal to re-assemble it tomorrow. 

I will say that all the swirls are gone and the paint looks wet.  Very high gloss finish on all painted surfaces and the chrome (except for exhaust system, which does not get coated).

Until I get the bike dirty (I wish that would never happen) I really won't know how quickly the clean-up process will be.  Time will tell on longevity of the finish, scratch resistance, etc.

All in all, I'm happy with the look and while I will not specify what I paid on this public forum, I can say it was no were near the $$ suggested on this post.   Anyone in SW Florida who is interested in getting this done, please PM me for details, etc.

woodzynh

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »

I was quoted $350, just did the paint sealant for $225 as I didn't find out they did ceramic until after, bike looks brand new again! Ceramic coat next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43:56 AM »

I can offer a bit of a more long term test on the Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic V2 Coating as well as their wheel coating.  First I don't think there is a huge difference between any of the ceramic coating brands so I am not necessarily touting Pinnacle but I do like their entire line of products.  I coated my new F150 Limited Black, my wife's Escape Black, my CVO Black, and my wife's Dyna a little over 6 mths ago.  I used the Wheel Coating on rims, brake calibres, engine, and bike pipes/exhaust.  The Wheel Coating has a high heat tolerance and has lasted without issue on the engine, pipe shielding and mufflers.  Further there is no worries of this stuff going chalky on matte finish parts.  I have removed my heat shields off the mufflers.  Prior to this I was a nothing but high end wax with a sealant on top guy.  Pinnacle Souveran Wax topped with Wolfgang Sealant.
First, ceramic coating has no correction properties what so ever, so what ever you are going over such as swirls left behind are going to be there after you coat it so make sure you go through all your correction steps.
Second, I found the ceramic did leave some streaking/shadows on black and I had to use some different angle light sources to ensure a consistent finish and look.  I never seemed to have this issue with old wax and seal.  Now with this said, it was more evident on the vehicles with large panels then on the bikes.
Third, I found the best results came by a next day follow-up with a coating of the booster.  It aided in removing shadows and seemed to blend the job together.
Evaluation:  Shine - I don't see the shine is any better or worse then just waxing and sealing.  I personally did not find a next level deal with it.
Protection - This is where at this point I think the ceramic has excelled.  Other then some follow-up with the spray detailer, this stuff has lasted and continues to protect months later.  Manufacture says 2 years but verdict is still out on that.  I have especially noticed this on the rims.  Brake, belt dust, and road grime wash right off after application of some APC and hosing off.  Ceramic does not appear to be affected by APC where I think APC's break down waxes and standard sealants.
Maintenance- I have not used a wash mitt on our bikes since applying the ceramic and thus preventing swirl marks on the finish.  I first spray the fronts with 50/50 mix of Hydrogen Peroxide and water to break down bugs.  Bugs and grime in my opinion fall off this stuff with very little help.  I then foam canon a APC (I use Riccardo Kleenzit APC) on the entire bike and let it sit for just a few minutes then wash it off with low pressure nozzle on the pressure washer.  Then blow dry that takes no time as water just does not stick to this stuff, and if you are real fussy like me, then give a quick wipe with a microfiber towel to remove any water spots.  The coating will "not" prevent water spots.
Conclusion- I think the longevity of the Ceramic is better then a sealant.  You would have to do your own cost analysis based on what you used to maintain your bike, but a small bottle of the coating, wheel and booster will last ages if you are only doing your bike.  Does it shine better?  Well this is a coating so it is going over the shine level you have already produced and protecting it.  All your work goes into preparing the surface not putting the coating on!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »

That's some good info. and I noticed some of the same things with the streaking, but I didn't notice it until after it had cured.  Surprisingly, I was able to get them out with some non-abrasive glaze (tried the least aggressive thing, first).  A second coat may have worked, too, not sure.   

I don't know about black, but I think I can say with the metallic orange on my bike, there is a bit more depth/shine with the ceramic coating than there was without.  Or, I suppose it could be the properties of the Boost product that is used to maintain and make the surface slick.  I used Adam's products.

I only did the paint, so far.  Maybe have to do the wheels and exhaust this winter.  I really hate cleaning the Chisel wheels on my bike, so anything to make that process easier.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »

Put Lucille back together this afternoon and took her for a ride tonight.  Nothing like riding a shiny "like new" scooter.

I guess some bugs thought she was worth a closer look and decided to christen my clean bike.

I got out a microfibre and lightly sprayed a little mist on the bug splat.  It came off like magic, so I guess it's working so far.

Fred786, thanks for that write-up.  Good to read non-biased, honest opinions of products from brother bikers.

J

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 11:19:46 PM »

Not sure you will be able to see much from this pic but had a 2nd coat put on today. Looks terrific in person.
Alan

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

I am coating mine next week. I use Adam's products with great lick so I bought their ceramic. Not thrilled about fine buffing/ stripping so I've in listed a car detailer buddy to step it for me. Looks like it's a 2 day thing, 1 day to strip and coat, let cure, 1 day to boost.

Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »

I am planning on getting mine (if it ever arrives) done next spring using GTechniq. I am using this brand because it is what my guy likes to use....
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.