Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Riding with Child  (Read 3295 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Riding with Child
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:57:09 PM »

I am taking my 10 year old son on a motocycle camping trip from San Francisco to British Columbia. I just ordered my SE UCEG and plan to do the trip next summer.
Any experience on whether to "tie" my son into the back seat with various contraptions i have seen or am i okay without tying him in given the configuration of the bike.  I have not taken him on a long trip yet so dont have any experience.

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
Re: Riding with Child
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:04:39 PM »

Great bonding time with you child, and teaching him about life and this county. I ride frequently with our 10 year old son, he is less than 4 foot tall and only 74lbs. I have not traveled as far as you are planning yet but have found that with the Ultra passenger back rest and speaker pods and with the addition of a rider backrest for the child to help hold onto they are very secure. The most important thing is to find a good fitting helmet for them to wear.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »

Free, I moved this to "Other Topics" thinking you might get more responses.

I agree with Freddie, the design of the Ultra's going to have your boy pretty well committed to the back seat.  The rider's backrest would help as long as you find it comfortable yourself.  Also, like Freddie says, a high-quality (i.e., lightweight, quiet,) well-fitting helmet along with the ride clothing is going to improve his comfort level back there considerably.

I'd suggest you work up to the long ride with several progressively longer (say up to a day in length) trips to condition him for the long-haul that you guys will be going on.  Also, search the web for literature on tips for riding with a passenger that the both of you can read and familiarize yourself with before you go.  It will help you get ready while at the same time build your excitement about the ride.

Congrats on ordering the new scooter, welcome to the site, and have fun with your boy on the trip next summer!

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 07:40:39 PM »

On one hand, the thought is to get clear of the bike in unfortunate circumstances.  However, in a child's situation, I can almost guarentee you that he will fall asleep at some point (most likely after lunch), and being strapped in is the safest bet.

Weigh it in terms of what has the largest odds of occuring: getting in an accident, or him falling a sleep and tilting.

For a long trip, I'd go with a strap, or atleast bring one along.
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 07:49:01 PM »

Free;
This past Summer I spend the weekend on the bike with my 12 year old on to our CVO gathering to Yosemite. Others have already said it, be sure he has a good helmet (Mine wears a 3/4), and good leathers. Several short trips as well will help him get used to being on the bike. Its also really important to be sure he does not fall asleep. Be sure that he know if he feels like he's getting sleepy to have you pull over so he can walk around and wake up a bit. Maybe give him a soda or something. Good music (although it may be difficult to find something that you both like ;D) and scenery will help as well.

I can tell you that it was a great experience for me and my son both. We had a good time together and did some great bonding! At the end of the trip he thanked me and said that "It meant the world to him" to have taking the trip. I hope to do more trips with them!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:45:48 PM »

Some people have recommended tying your son to the bike.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:58:23 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback

his feet comfortably touch the rear boards.  It seems to make sense to me to tie him in a bit just to avoid a sudden jerk if/when he nods off. I will experiment.  

thanks

Andy

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:59:40 PM »

Your in luck with your new CUSE you will get the intercom system and 1 headset, spend some extra cash and get a 2nd headset and as you travel keep a conversation going every so often just to know he is alert and awake. Might not hurt to have a couple of bungee cords if he does get tired to keep him in the seat. Take lots of breaks and make sure he has Fun as well as you. I think this is a great thing to share with your son, memories should last forEVER.

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »

oh, and don't forget sun screen!  I've been smacked upside the back of the head for that one!  figuratively speaking of course!

And like others here have said, ENJOY!  

I try to take one of my kids every time I go on a ride, if my wife is not going.  They love it, and so do I.  Someday, those rides will be the smiles on their adult faces as they think back to simpler times.
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »

Hey,!  I felt like I ought to throw my 2 cents worth in here.  My girls are 13 and 14, and have both been riding with me for years.  They sleep.  Little ones do that.  They sleep on my SEEG, they slept on my softtail, they slept on my FXD convertable, they sleep on the quad runner, and they sleep on the dirt bikes.  Kids just sleep on bikes.  On the Ultra you may be able to move the tour back far enough forward to trap him so he can't fall to the side. That would be the best answer, but remember, he will lean forward as he falls asleep, and could then tumble to the side, which is a crappy way for a little on to wake up.... (IT didn't work on my SEEG... no rails on the back rest)  I would NEVER tie my kid to the bike.  NEVER.  Just seems wrong on SOOOO many levels.  I bungie cord them to me.  Lightly. One cord aropund the chest.  They just put it on me like a seatbelt when we get on the bike.  That way if I eject from the bike, they do too, and If I tumble in the fall, they stretch out away from me and the tumble stops and we slide.  (We like the way it works out on the dirt....  luckily we haven't had to check the system on the street...)  We also made it a rule that they always have to have a hand on me that I can feel.  At least one hand.  They've made such a habit of it now that the hand stays there even when they sleep, and it helps to keep them upright instead on sliding down the freeway... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »

Sorry everyone.  Got hamfisted here.  Was attempting to do a little housekeeping in a post and instead deleted at least one.  I think the only one I killed was my own.  If somene else has a post missing I am very sorry.  

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 04:58:14 PM »

IMHO,

Have you considered a side-car?

Strapping would scare me........to the bike that is. [smiley=nervous.gif]

Tough question........with no easy answer............ [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 05:15:48 PM »

Just another use for VELCRO.  :o Har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 05:17:47 PM »

Sorry everyone.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 06:18:43 PM »

Hey Spyder, you jest, but a buddy of mine does just that.  He has a big panel of the soft stuff on the back of his jacket, and the hooks on the chest of his little one.  Sticks the little chit on the bike, leans back once, and the kids can't leave!  I laugh my a$$ off every time I see it, but the kid seems to like it...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.