Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Let's cool this puppy  (Read 8032 times)

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
Let's cool this puppy
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »

Most recent mod... come on slow traffic!!   Here we go Daytona Main Street during Bikeweek!!

Well, not really completely installed, just needed to see how it looked.  Will be doing the install this weekend.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:57:25 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Let's cool this puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »

OK I'll bite... what is it?  New speakers to enjoy the slow drive??
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 08:28:27 AM »

OK I'll bite... what is it?  New speakers to enjoy the slow drive??

Speakers? Really!?  :huepfenjump3:

Set of fans to cool the heads.  A guy at the other forum made one for himself and folks started asking him to build them for the rest of us... I was able to get one from the first or second batch he made.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/713596-built-the-best-engine-cooling-system-again.html
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »

I read a few pages of that thread. What has been the overall reaction to the fans? They look well built. I didn't see pricing on anything I read, what is a setup selling for?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »

I read a few pages of that thread. What has been the overall reaction to the fans? They look well built. I didn't see pricing on anything I read, what is a setup selling for?

He later built a website for them:  http://www.wardspartswerks.com/

US$275.00  Not bad when compared to the competition.  And imho, these look far better.

Jason did a wonderful job on the design and build.  You have to add spacers so that they don't touch the heads.  There is a switch if you want to control when they come on.  

I will report back when I have a few miles on them.

Oh, and no relationship to Jason.    Just proud to be able to see, and buy, something designed and built in the USA...  I hope he does well with these.

A photo of another bike with the cowbell horn installed:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:25:05 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »

Interesting mod, wachuko, please let us know how the installation goes. 

Anyone considering this project might want to look at this thread as well:   Forced Convection System

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »

Interesting mod, wachuko, please let us know how the installation goes. 

Anyone considering this project might want to look at this thread as well:   Forced Convection System

Thanks for the link.  I had not seen that thread.  :2vrolijk_21:
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

Feedback from one install:

Quote from: Mike_M;10128758
Jason,

Know I'm not the one you directed the questions to, but since having the fans for about a month, I can say that I have seen much lower oil temps than I had previously.

Rode the bike from VA to Northern MI in June, got caught in ~mid 80° temps and stop & go traffic just outside Detroit. Fairing oil temp gauge showed ~260°, consistent with the temp gauge on the dipstick (~265° when I stopped for gas). Put the fans on before I rode back to VA. Ended up in stop & go traffic on I-64 between Richmond and Chesapeake, temps in the high 90°-low triple digits, and with the fans on, the oil temps stabilized ~230° on the fairing gauge, reading 226° on the dipstick temp gauge.

Great thing about it was the oil temps dropped 10-20° as soon as I started moving faster than about 30mph (fans still on).

Since that ride, even with the temps here in VA in the high 90°s and low triple digits on multiple occasions, I've yet to see the oil temps get over the 230° mark when the fans are running, and I ride the bike every day. Until I can get my hands on one of the thermo switches, the fans stay on unless I'm riding in the rain.

Cheers,

Mike

Like I said, I will get some temp readings and share mine as well.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »

I heard that JIMS was coming out with some kind of a cooling product of some sort?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Dare

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE "Candy"
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE Road Glide "Mink" Brown-Sold
    • CVO3: Not a CVO 93 Fat Boy-Sold
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »

Thanks Wachuko, I look forward to getting that info, obviously you did some customizing for the attachemnt point.  I like the shifter linkage by the way. :2vrolijk_21:

I melted down two valves riding down the to the ROT 5 years ago in Austin.  103 on the roads and heavy traffic.  Lesson learned, pull over and hydrate at nearest or self made cantina!
Minor Mods to be coming

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »

Thanks Wachuko, I look forward to getting that info, obviously you did some customizing for the attachemnt point.  I like the shifter linkage by the way. :2vrolijk_21:

I melted down two valves riding down the to the ROT 5 years ago in Austin.  103 on the roads and heavy traffic.  Lesson learned, pull over and hydrate at nearest or self made cantina!

It was a straight forward install.  A spacer between the mount and the horn bracket to give it some space between the fans and the heads, hook up the wires to the battery and done!  What you see as a customized attachement point is nothing more than the bracket where the horn usually goes.  I relocated the horn on the bike awhile back.  So it was a bolt-on affair.  Unless you call sticking a Willie G skull emblem customizing  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »

Speakers? Really!?  :huepfenjump3:

Set of fans to cool the heads.  A guy at the other forum made one for himself and folks started asking him to build them for the rest of us... I was able to get one from the first or second batch he made.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/713596-built-the-best-engine-cooling-system-again.html

I was joking about the speakers... looks a great idea to fight the heat.  surprised HD has not thought of it before... oh wait,,,, got my answer

Let us know your results, Im driving to CA next fall and that would be good for the trip
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »

Oppss... posted in the wrong thread...  Here we go:

I finally got around to connecting the fans... 

Man do I love how this bike looks!!!!

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »

I have one fan that does help. Two should be even bettter. By the way where did you put the horn? I am looking to move mine.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:51:17 AM »

... By the way where did you put the horn? I am looking to move mine.

Always painful to answer that question...  :oops:

So, DO NOT RELOCATE YOUR STOCK BELL HORN THERE!!  :(

So... one new fender later, a horn from the HD Blackline series... Old fender goes up in the wall of shame as a reminder...

Not near as loud as the original horn, but it does not hit the fender...  and I just love that clean look on the engine without the horn there.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:55:29 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »

:oops:  Sorry about your fender!   :(

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 02:04:13 PM »

I have one fan that does help. Two should be even bettter. By the way where did you put the horn? I am looking to move mine.

If you prefer the "stealth" approach, you could mount the stock type horns in the fairing.  Harley used to actually sell a kit that added a second stock style horn that was mounted in the fairing, and I'm assuming you could still do that even though you'd have to make your own little electrical harness.  I haven't seen the kit offered in the catalog for several years now, but it basically consisted of a low note horn, mounting bracket, and a wire harness.  When used in combination with the standard high note horn, it actually sounded pretty good.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »

If you prefer the "stealth" approach, you could mount the stock type horns in the fairing.  Harley used to actually sell a kit that added a second stock style horn that was mounted in the fairing, and I'm assuming you could still do that even though you'd have to make your own little electrical harness.  I haven't seen the kit offered in the catalog for several years now, but it basically consisted of a low note horn, mounting bracket, and a wire harness.  When used in combination with the standard high note horn, it actually sounded pretty good.

Jerry

Next time I have the front fairing off, I will do just that.  Need more/louder sound.  Might go with one of those aftermarket Italian horns that put a deafening blast.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:55:03 AM »

So, Wachuko... what's the verdict?  Does this fan set-up actually work?

Looking at the other options (Love Jugs and Big Sky Fans), the reviews haven't been too positive.

Give us your impressions, please.  I'm trying to figure out what to do in the summers here in SoCal.

Dan

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »

So, Wachuko... what's the verdict?  Does this fan set-up actually work?

Looking at the other options (Love Jugs and Big Sky Fans), the reviews haven't been too positive.

Give us your impressions, please.  I'm trying to figure out what to do in the summers here in SoCal.

Dan

Dan,

Works great so far.  Since I don't have the horn in place I need to add a bigger spacer to avoid the fan hitting the jugs due to engine vibration.  Can't hear the fans when the engine is on, when the engine is off they sound like two small turbines.  Very little amp draw.

Should have temp figures when I take a longer ride this weekend.

But from the options out there, I would have to say that this is the better one, imho of course.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:16:07 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

dak47

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »

Damn, that was a good read..... Sending in deposit tomorrow, looks like a well thought out bit of kit!! I have a Fluke infrared thermometer at my shop and will give a impartial review. The horn relocation and garage door opener where already on the list  :2vrolijk_21:

D.K.
- 2012 "Dogfish" CVO
-2003 Gunmetal, warmed over 103" R.G.

icufltrn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 fltruse
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »

I read the whole thread on hdforums about this system then quickly sent in my deposit. Unfortunately Jason is waiting for a shipment of fans that won't be in until oct. I have read a few negative reviews but there are definitely a ton of positive ones. His customer service seems to be awesome as well. Cantw wait til I have mine.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »

Two more from today  ;)  I need to get the new saddlebag lids with the speakers cut out painted or I am just going to install the spoilers in the stock lids...

That is what those are for, right  ??? . Installed the damper from the horn and the vibration from the engine is not affecting the fans.

I will take down the video and upload one tomorrow with the damper in place.

In the mean time, here is a photo with the rubber damper in place:

I can't hear the fans when riding, only when I shut down the engine can you hear the turbine-like sound.

Love the looks, thank you again Jason for giving us an option that is so frigging gorgeous while being functional.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:04:41 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 11:30:34 PM »

Those are the best looking fans out there in my opinion, but I read on the other site that while the oil temp came down in traffic noticeably, the rider comfort was awful, the fans blowing thru the heads actually made the rider even hotter. I figure I own the bikes for 3 - 4 years and have extended warranty for 5 so let the engine be hot, My right leg is already hot enough, I just do not want to be any hotter than I already am.

icufltrn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 fltruse
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »

I wanted to keep this thread alive and maybe spark some new interest. Hope I am not highjacking. I got a set of these fans as well with the granite finish and stainless covers. Jason was a great guy to deal with and shipping was super quick.
:orange:

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:55 PM »

Very nice!!!  :2vrolijk_21:
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

I have been following the thread about the Wards parts Werks cooling fans on HDForum for forum for a few months, and just got these.

I just posed this in my mods thread... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66236.msg1051206#msg1051206

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.