Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Repainting my lowers after 11,000 miles  (Read 6275 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Repainting my lowers after 11,000 miles
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »

Lot of work but   :2vrolijk_21:   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »

Looks very nice-good job.  BTW, did your painter have any ideas on why the factory clear coat held up so poorly?  Just curious.

yeah he scuffed through it with a scotchbrite pad in a few passes and then through the color shortly after that.  It was THIN THIN THIN
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »

Looks great! Expensive?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 07:57:32 PM »

It does look good!

Not to sound rude, Gunslinger painted the lowers on the '09 for $200.

I've been lucky 'had no paint issues with the current 3 bikes... all good except for a rock chip on the '05...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »

I had $730 in the whole deal.  Nobody came out on this deal.  The body shop had countless hours of messing around trying to get the color to match.  Plus I had $200 in paint I don't know what to do with now.

If someone had the color on hand and it matched the first time it wouldn't be that expensive.  I tried to use a body shop that does a lot of custom color paint jobs and they also use PPG but they didn't have one of the colors to mix the paint.  It was $900 for 4 ounces.  Needless to say they didn't want to pay that just for one job. 

I can see $200 for painting the lowers if the paint was inexpensive and it was a scuff and shoot.  Then there still wouldn't be much profit for the painter including his time.  We took my lowers all the way down because I didn't want any of the old clear coat under the new paint.  Very time consuming.  Now I'm glad I didn't ship them away for paint because there is supposedly several variations to the "Inferno Orange" PPG paint so unless the person had one of the guns that reads the paint off the part and matches it perfectly I would have been shipping them back.  We painted a small piece 3 times to get it to match the rest of the bike out in the sun.  This paint changes color a little bit depending on the light and the lowers have a lot of curves to them which reflects light even worse.  The test card would match the rest of the bike and when we shot the lowers it didn't match when we put the pieces next to the bike.  Had to start all over again.  Finally we just played with air pressure on the gun to get it right.  Major pain in the A$$

I am very happy with the results and I have enough product on the lowers now so they should take a beating for many miles to come.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:24:41 AM by 2006ULTRA »
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.