Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Impressions on my first ride on the SESG  (Read 1072 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Impressions on my first ride on the SESG
« on: January 27, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »

After riding a 2006 Ultra that I bought new in 2005 for 37,000 miles I decided it was time for something different.  I started out wanting a CVO Ultra but once I saw the Black/Orange CVO SG I couldn't get that bike out of my head. Crazybob had his listed for sale and it was set up perfect for me so I bought it.

Yesterday was the first day I had a chance to ride it.  It was 35 degrees and cloudy but I just had to go for a ride.

I'm in love with this bike!  It rides better than my Ultra.  Granted my Ultra has a 21"/18" combo with the front lowered an 1" but still the SESG rides smoother!  Which surprised me.

The 110 is worked over and pulls hard!  I didn't ring it out completely because it only has 700 miles on it but I can tell I'm going to be happy with it.  My Ultra has a 98" GMR build and it ran good but this bike is much stronger as it should be.

The seat seems comfortable but we only went 20 miles at a time between stops so I won't have a full opinion until spring.

I'm definitely changing the bars to Chubby 575's, I feel like I have to reach to far with the stock bars.

Is it the new frame?  It seems to me that I'm more scrunched in the sitting position than my 06 Ultra.  I know the seat on the SESG is lower than an Ultra but my 06 Ultra has a sundowner that lowers that seat an 1" over stock and it seems my 06 has more distance between the seat and floorboards.

Do they make a kit to lower the floorboards?

2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Impressions on my first ride on the SESG
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:40 PM »

There are a lot of positive changes with the new stretched frame since you bought your Ultra in 2005, but since you have put such limited miles on it I wouldn't be altering anything just yet.  Give yourself a chance when the weather warms up to do some serious riding and you will be more comfortable and informed about what might work better for you.  The changes you make now are to create the same ride you had with your Ultra and as you know this ain't no Ultra.  Be patient~sit on it out in the garage this winter~and dream about your first day trip this spring.

;D :D ::) :P ******** BE PATIENT ********* :P ;D :) :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »

Sounds like you got a heck of a motorcycle. :2vrolijk_21:  

Huge difference in the 06 frame/chassis compared to the 09 and up frame/chassis.  Also, a huge difference in the seats.

The SE Street Glide already sits lower than the Ultra Classic so before you put the floorboard extenders on, you may want to read this thread.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=64058.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »

There are a lot of positive changes with the new stretched frame since you bought your Ultra in 2005, but since you have put such limited miles on it I wouldn't be altering anything just yet.  Give yourself a chance when the weather warms up to do some serious riding and you will be more comfortable and informed about what might work better for you.  The changes you make now are to create the same ride you had with your Ultra and as you know this ain't no Ultra.  Be patient~sit on it out in the garage this winter~and dream about your first day trip this spring.

;D :D ::) :P ******** BE PATIENT ********* :P ;D :) :P

Probably good advice to anybody on a new (to them) model. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.