Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: In the middle of installing WO 575's  (Read 4018 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
In the middle of installing WO 575's
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »

I got the bike all tore apart tonight and didn't realize from all the research I've done that there is three wiring harnesses that come out of the bars.  It seems like it going to be pretty tight getting everything back through the bars??  Plus I'm installing heat demons.

First question is how hard is it to get the TBW housing out of the stock bars?  Is it fragile etc?  I really didn't mess with it much but it didn't slide right out.

Is there an online video that shows how to take the harness plugs apart to separate the wires so I can pill them back through the bars?  I did this 5 years ago on my 06 Ultra but don't really remember the process.  Plus I didn't have near as many wiring harnesses to deal with.

Any tips would be appreciated.  I am finishing up the job hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks Brett

2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: In the middle of installing WO 575's
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »

I got the bike all tore apart tonight and didn't realize from all the research I've done that there is three wiring harnesses that come out of the bars.  It seems like it going to be pretty tight getting everything back through the bars??  Plus I'm installing heat demons.

First question is how hard is it to get the TBW housing out of the stock bars?  Is it fragile etc?  I really didn't mess with it much but it didn't slide right out.

Is there an online video that shows how to take the harness plugs apart to separate the wires so I can pill them back through the bars?  I did this 5 years ago on my 06 Ultra but don't really remember the process.  Plus I didn't have near as many wiring harnesses to deal with.

Any tips would be appreciated.  I am finishing up the job hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks Brett

Getting it all in and out of the bars is a bit of a chore.  But it's (obviously) do-able.  The sensor can be delicate.  Several anecdotes here of them not surving the R&R.  All you can do is be careful.  The harness connectors can also be a nuisance.  One of those "you have to hold your mouth right" things for the releases to sometimes release. 

My tool of preference to release them has become a large sewing needle.  Go to Wal-Mart and get an assortment pack so you can find the right size for the chore.  I'm sure there must be a gauge or other size measure for sewing needles that could be shared.  But I'm a fat-phuk-male and I don't know crap about them.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »

I hear you on holding your mouth just right deal. LOL

After having a couple stubborn bolts almost strip and worrying about scratching something I kept asking myself if I really needed these bars and heated grips.  I had another beer and starred at the whole deal.  Then I kept going, then another beer and finally everything was apart. 

So now I'm committed and hopefully everything comes together tomorrow.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »

I hear you on holding your mouth just right deal. LOL

After having a couple stubborn bolts almost strip and worrying about scratching something I kept asking myself if I really needed these bars and heated grips.  I had another beer and starred at the whole deal.  Then I kept going, then another beer and finally everything was apart. 

So now I'm committed and hopefully everything comes together tomorrow.

Good luck man.  Since it never hurts to restate the obvious I will one on thing.  Make yourself a good map of the harness plugs before disassembly.  I always do.  I even snap pictures sometimes.  But the first time I took apart one of the bikes like yours I didn't pay enough attention. 

Said several bad words taking those AMP style connectors apart.  Once finally got the "feel" it was better.  But I didn't pay enough attention during all the mental ruckus and subsequent reassembly.  Got one pair of the six wires to the throttle sensor together incorrectly.  Was further screwed by the fact that the bike actually ran normally.  All worked fine but the check engine light was on and the cruise didn't work.  Found the problem later obviously.  But I wasn't attentive enough to begin with at least partly because I got so pissed off at the wire connectors.

So...  the beer breaks are a good idea.  Have fun.  Enjoy it when it's all done.  That's a great set of bars for a bagger.  They're on my Electra Glide and feel great. 

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:08 PM »

Getting it all in and out of the bars is a bit of a chore.  But it's (obviously) do-able.  The sensor can be delicate.  Several anecdotes here of them not surving the R&R.  All you can do is be careful.  The harness connectors can also be a nuisance.  One of those "you have to hold your mouth right" things for the releases to sometimes release. 

My tool of preference to release them has become a large sewing needle.  Go to Wal-Mart and get an assortment pack so you can find the right size for the chore.  I'm sure there must be a gauge or other size measure for sewing needles that could be shared.  But I'm a fat-phuk-male and I don't know crap about them.

I think that's why most of of purchased a kit before hand. Twist Grip Sensor Kit (TBW)   : Part # 32310-08
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »

I think that's why most of of purchased a kit before hand. Twist Grip Sensor Kit (TBW)   : Part # 32310-08

So far the two I've had apart survived the R&R without needing replacement.  So with luck and the Travel Gods on your side it can happen.  But it's not a sure thing.

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:10:02 AM »

Like some others said, it can be done. Just be careful and it should come out. I have done a few and have never replaced the TBW sensor.
 Things will go better once you get the wires pulled in the new bars. It is always a scary experience if you have never done it.
 Good luck and take your time.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:09 AM »

If you go to the Chubby 575  website they explain the process of harness connector disassembly.  They suggest and I used a large paper clip, I filed a slight angle on the end like a blunt screwdriver so it will slid down into the connector and not hang up on the small plastic release tabs. The best thing you can do is write down the harness type, wire color and positions in the connectors before removal (position numbers are molded in connectors)  double and triple check before you remove wires and when reassembling.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »

I really like the 575s.  But I'm leaving the stock bars on for now.    I guess I'm gonna learn to like em after reading all this.   :-\

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »

I really like the 575s.  But I'm leaving the stock bars on for now.    I guess I'm gonna learn to like em after reading all this.   :-\

Stuart-

As many miles as you ride, put on the bars that are comfortable to you.  The stock bars about worthless for most people.

Regarding the bars and the wiring.   If you go into the change  thinking you can do it in a couple hours, you can't.  Leave several days for the job and when you get frustrated just stop and come back to it later.

The wiring plugs aren't that hard once you get the hang of it.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »

I have all the wires out of the bars but I can get the TBW small 2 pin black plug apart??  I don't think it will go through the bars assembled.

Is there a trick to get this one apart?
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »

I have all the wires out of the bars but I can get the TBW small 2 pin black plug apart??  I don't think it will go through the bars assembled.

Is there a trick to get this one apart?

That small 2-pin connector is for the heated handgrip portion of the TBW assembly. Disassembly is covered in the service manual; basically you pop out the green wedge inside the connector, then spread open two plastic "legs" while gently pulling the wires out from the back. I'm changing my bars to 12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger bars right now, so I'm going through the same process as you. I created a PDF of the wiring on my 2011 SESG. Please see the attached file. Hopefully this will help keep the connections in the proper order ...

Mike

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:58:47 AM by mandm1 »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »

That small 2-pin connector is for the heated handgrip portion of the TBW assembly. Disassembly is covered in the service manual; basically you pop out the green wedge inside the connector, then spread open two plastic "legs" while gently pulling the wires out from the back. I'm changing my bars to 12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger bars right now, so I'm going through the same process as you. I created a PDF of the wiring on my 2011 SESG. Please see the attached file. Hopefully this will help keep the connections in the proper order ...

Mike

Excellent PDF diagram... :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »

Can I hook my heat demons up to this port?
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »

Excellent PDF diagram... :2vrolijk_21:

Agreed.  Saved a copy.  Never know when something that good might come in handy.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.