Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: Battery Longevity??????  (Read 28908 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Battery Longevity??????
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »

Just wondering when I should start worrying about my orginal battery in my '04 SEEG stranding me at a unfortunate time???  Still going strong, but after 4+ years of service now on a 'dresser' w/ all the electronics, lights, etc.....just when do I replace this one?  I hate to spend my 'bling' money on replacing a perfectly good battery.   ;D :o har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

deucedog

Re: Battery Longevity??????
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:44:43 AM »

I replace mine every 2 years as a rule.  Others will disagree.  But considering most bikes on this forum are worth 25K+, a $100 every couple years is good insurance. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 12:47:37 AM »

Just wondering when I should start worrying about my orginal battery in my '04 SEEG stranding me at a unfortunate time???  Still going strong, but after 4+ years of service now on a 'dresser' w/ all the electronics, lights, etc.....just when do I replace this one?  I hate to spend my 'bling' money on replacing a perfectly good battery.   ;D :o har!  :drink: spyder

I guess you've kept it on a tender? 4 years is pushing it for sure. The thing is with the sealed batteries they typically do not give you any warning, they just decide to go one day when you least expect it....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 01:31:10 AM »

that's what I was thinking....... :thinking2:  Better talk to  :santa2:  Reckon a ride to the Blue Ridge Parkway this weekend would be OK, w/o pushing the envelope on this OEM battery.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:29:24 AM »

I guess you've kept it on a tender? 4 years is pushing it for sure. The thing is with the sealed batteries they typically do not give you any warning, they just decide to go one day when you least expect it....

Well, suffering from the same dis-ease as Spyder (CRS).......I guess I better get into my receipts folder and look around.  Cuz I can't remember changing my battery before, either.  Just never entered my mind till I read this.  And yes, mine goes on the battery tender eveery time it goes in the garage.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 08:33:39 AM »

No Jim, I'd only started using the battery tender on this battery this past summer when I didn't ride the scooter for 4 months (too hot.....rode the softtail), BUT, it was ridden on a regular basis before that so the battery never got a chance to discharge to any great degree.  I'm sure that has everything to do w/ longevity in these things.  Plus, for whatever reason, my theory is that the initial battery always lasts longer than the replacements.  :-\ :nixweiss:   har!  :drink: spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »

I'm sure there will be those that say my feelings on battery longevity is crazy, but I've been known to be a thrill seeker (3 years USMC, 24 years as Firefighter). I still have the stock battery on my bike since July 1, 2004, and looking to keep it at least until July '08 if not longer. I have kept the battery on a tender since day one, and when ever it gets put away the tender goes on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »

I'm sure there will be those that say my feelings on battery longevity is crazy, but I've been known to be a thrill seeker (3 years USMC, 24 years as Firefighter). I still have the stock battery on my bike since July 1, 2004, and looking to keep it at least until July '08 if not longer. I have kept the battery on a tender since day one, and when ever it gets put away the tender goes on.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

well, D00d, I've got 9 months more on mine at this time than you do, and it's still in there (although, I seem to notice a bit of 'weakness' sometimes on initial start-up....could be all the time I've been spending playing w/ the new ZUMO).  ;D har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 09:10:04 AM »

well, D00d, I've got 9 months more on mine at this time than you do, and it's still in there (although, I seem to notice a bit of 'weakness' sometimes on initial start-up....could be all the time I've been spending playing w/ the new ZUMO).  ;D har!  spyder
If it's showing signs of hard starting I would definitely replace it, and remember to keep the new one plugged up to the battery tender when you're playing w/the Zumo in the garage. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 09:14:41 AM »

If they all act anything like the one on my SERG, they'll only give you about 3 hard-start warnings before they chit the bed for good.  The one on the SEEG still starts the bike fine, but it was 4 years old in October, so I'll be replacing it, too, in the spring.

At $150/pc., I'm not so sure this 2-bike thing was such a good idea. :nervous: :oops: :huepfenlol2:

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 09:26:42 AM »

Jamey had to replace his battery in March of this year. 

We have tenders all over the place, and are not as diligent as others at using ours.  Of course, we have to replace batteries faster too.  Jamey just replaced his battery on his bike this summer - 3 yr - 7 mos.  No warning - just one Sunday, pulled out of the garage and bike would not start.  I think the battery cost was $120.  Your right - it is cheaper to keep the tender on them. 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 09:38:04 AM »

At $150/pc., I'm not so sure this 2-bike thing was such a good idea. :nervous: :oops: :huepfenlol2:

Try five :(

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »

Is there any problems w/ 'Jump-starting' one of these SEEG's.  Won't mess up any of the electrics/computers/etc???  :-\  spyder

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 11:24:33 AM »

Is there any problems w/ 'Jump-starting' one of these SEEG's.  Won't mess up any of the electrics/computers/etc???  :-\  spyder

No problems, OR you can push start them as long as you've got enough juice to get the electrics going...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 11:26:31 AM »

If they all act anything like the one on my SERG, they'll only give you about 3 hard-start warnings before they chit the bed for good.  The one on the SEEG still starts the bike fine, but it was 4 years old in October, so I'll be replacing it, too, in the spring.

Brian;
The stock HD battery runs about $89.00 List. Now since you have budgeted 150 I just freed up 60 for some chrome ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 11:28:19 AM »

No problems, OR you can push start them as long as you've got enough juice to get the electrics going...
thanks, now I've got to add more weight to my saddlebag (jump cables)  :'(  At least the siphon hose wasn't heavy )  :huepfenlol2: har!  :drink: spyder

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »

Well I guess I am a little like d00d - I guess I am a thrill-seeker.  I ran the battery on my 02 for 5 years.

I ride year round - not everyday, but even in the winter I manage to ride once or twice a week.  I have never used a battery tender, but my bike stays in my climate controlled shop - I think keeping the battery from being exposed to sub-freezing temps really helps extend battery life.

For you guys that can't ride in the winter and/or store your bikes in sub-freezing temps, the battery tender is a great idea.  Even then, you will probably have to replace your battery more often.  Batteries perform better when you can use them - riding with lights and accessories and charging while riding.

I do carry a small set of jumper cables - they don't take up any more room than an extra pair of gloves.  So far, I have only used them to jump other bikes - not my own.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »

Well I guess I am a little like d00d - I guess I am a thrill-seeker.  I ran the battery on my 02 for 5 years.

I ride year round - not everyday, but even in the winter I manage to ride once or twice a week.  I have never used a battery tender, but my bike stays in my climate controlled shop - I think keeping the battery from being exposed to sub-freezing temps really helps extend battery life.

For you guys that can't ride in the winter and/or store your bikes in sub-freezing temps, the battery tender is a great idea.  Even then, you will probably have to replace your battery more often.  Batteries perform better when you can use them - riding with lights and accessories and charging while riding.

I do carry a small set of jumper cables - they don't take up any more room than an extra pair of gloves.  So far, I have only used them to jump other bikes - not my own.

I have 2 bikes, both ridden weekly, year round.  By riding, I mean at least a 30 minute plus ride also, not just to the gas station & back.  No battery tender. Replaced the battery on the RK after slightly over 5 years.  Not unheard of for them to last longer - 3to 5 appears to be the average for bikes ridden regularly.  In cold climates riding weekly is not possible & for those blessed with lots of bikes its not usually possible.

Agreed on your comments re: riding & charging.  Same for all vehicles with batteries.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

I agree on the regular riding in extending the life of the battery.  Battery tenders probably are the next best thing.  I read somewhere awhile back that it's the hot temps that kill a battery, not the cold ones.  It contridicted what I'd always imagined.  Question:  do you remember where you got the small jumper cables you carry?  thanks,   :)spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »

All I can say is the only way I could do the old "run and bump" start with my SEEG is if I had a decent downhill stretch of pavement or a couple Olympic quality bob sledders as pushers.  If I had to personally provide all the oomph to get this heavy sucker moving fast enough to fire it up, someone would have to cart me off to the hospital (or the morgue). ???

Just another thought while on the subject of jump starting; for anyone tempted to shortcut by using the pigtail for the battery tender to make your connection to the donor electrical source, don't do it.  You will find that the current draw will quickly fry the 7 amp fuse located in the pigtail.

Another thought; if you are starting to wonder if you should try to get another season out of your current battery, rather than throw away a perfectly good battery have it tested with a load tester.  This will give you the best picture of the batteries internal condition.  Kind of like doing a stress test to determine cardiovascular health.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 02:31:01 PM »

All I can say is the only way I could do the old "run and bump" start with my SEEG is if I had a decent downhill stretch of pavement or a couple Olympic quality bob sledders as pushers.  If I had to personally provide all the oomph to get this heavy sucker moving fast enough to fire it up, someone would have to cart me off to the hospital (or the morgue). ???

Another thought; if you are starting to wonder if you should try to get another season out of your current battery, rather than throw away a perfectly good battery have it tested with a load tester.  This will give you the best picture of the batteries internal condition.  Kind of like doing a stress test to determine cardiovascular health.

Jerry

Very Good Advise.

I also agree on pushing a 850 lbs. bike.  I am not thinking I am man enough for too much of that.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »

I agree on the regular riding in extending the life of the battery.  Battery tenders probably are the next best thing.  I read somewhere awhile back that it's the hot temps that kill a battery, not the cold ones.  It contridicted what I'd always imagined.  Question:  do you remember where you got the small jumper cables you carry?  thanks,   :)spyder

Right you are spyder.  Cold temperatures reduce capacity (until normal temps are restored) but not necessarily the longevity of the battery.  High temps definitely have a negative effect on longevity.  

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »

Brian;
The stock HD battery runs about $89.00 List. Now since you have budgeted 150 I just freed up 60 for some chrome ;D

Well, $40, anyway! :2vrolijk_21:

H-D® AGM Original Equipment Batteries

66010-97B

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '97-later FLHR, FLHT, and FLTR Touring models.

MSRP US $109.95

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:24 PM »

Well, $40, anyway! :2vrolijk_21:

H-D® AGM Original Equipment Batteries

66010-97B

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '97-later FLHR, FLHT, and FLTR Touring models.

MSRP US $109.95

so this is one of those deals that can not be 'ordered'......only purchased from stock at the dealer?  :nixweiss:  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »

so this is one of those deals that can not be 'ordered'......only purchased from stock at the dealer?  :nixweiss:  spyder
I would think because of the contents of the battery it might be considered a hazardous materail if that's the case it will get expensive to deliver. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »

I'll betcha Jenni would take care of us, Spyder.  Heck, they had to get 'em to the dealers, right? :nixweiss:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »

I'll betcha Jenni would take care of us, Spyder.  Heck, they had to get 'em to the dealers, right? :nixweiss:

Do you need one now?   Who knows on mine.....could be today or 6 to 9 mos. out.....either way, I could do one now if she could do it.  I'm still holding my breath on the fairing being good whenever it comes.   :nervous: :nervous:  It's like: with my past history in these matters and TwoLane's recent tale of woes, I'm worried about his bad juju getting over the mountains.......  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous::nervous:har!  spyder
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:11:10 PM by spydglide »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »

Do you need one now?   Who knows on mine.....could be today or 6 to 9 mos. out.....either way, I could do one now if she could do it.  I'm still holding my breath on the fairing being good whenever it comes.   :nervous: :nervous:  It's like: with my past history in these matters and TwoLane's recent tale of woes, I'm worried about his bad juju getting over the mountains.......  :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous::nervous:har!  spyder

Spyder, it's like 20 degrees here with 3 inches of snow on the ground.  I don't need one now, no. :huepfenlol2:  Probably around mid-March or so, I'll get a couple of 'em.  The ol' SERG's sittin' there without one right now, so once the weather starts to break, I'll need to get 'er ready to go and make sure the SEEG's ready for business, too! :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »

Spyder, it's like 20 degrees here with 3 inches of snow on the ground.  I don't need one now, no. :huepfenlol2:  Probably around mid-March or so, I'll get a couple of 'em.  The ol' SERG's sittin' there without one right now, so once the weather starts to break, I'll need to get 'er ready to go and make sure the SEEG's ready for business, too! :2vrolijk_21:

See Brian, I'm ashamed to say that I'm completely out of touch with you all up in the Northern climes.....I'm packing for a little run up towards Fancy Gap, VA tomorrow and you don't even have batteries in your scooters.   I need to get a bit more empathatic.  I'll work on it Buddy.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »

See Brian, I'm ashamed to say that I'm completely out of touch with you all up in the Northern climes.....I'm packing for a little run up towards Fancy Gap, VA tomorrow and you don't even have batteries in your scooters.   I need to get a bit more empathatic.  I'll work on it Buddy.  :) har!  :drink: spyder

Hell, Spydy...that's what they git fer not havin' sense enough to move South...

Going to be in the low to mid 70's in B'ham this weekend... ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 05:49:58 PM »

You are obviously not referring to this B'ham (Bellingham)  :huepfenlol2: :bananarock:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 06:04:07 PM »

I'd be interested in what you find out. I know some common carriers (UPS/Fed Ex/Etc) may not ship haz mat stuff. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »

Not quite as bad as Brian has it here but still cold. You both are chitheads. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Oh, BTW enjoy riding this weekend. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 06:09:44 PM »

I'd be interested in what you find out. I know some common carriers (UPS/Fed Ex/Etc) may not ship haz mat stuff. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I might give her a ring tomorrow just to see what she says.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I hink it is just a matter of a chit load of paperwork.  Plus the weight would make the savings not so great because of shipping expense.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 06:10:21 PM »

Not quite as bad as Brian has it here but still cold. You both are chitheads. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Yeah, what he said! :huepfenlol2:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 06:14:03 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Wanda June hasn't even been started since CHL, Gary, and Miss Scarlet has only been run to work and back one day.  It's been chilly here lately too, plus dark when I go home, so bike has been parked...guess I'm getting old, but just don't care for riding at night much anymore in traffic.

But I do keep them on Battery Tenders (see, I stayed on topic, sorta) ;)

TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »

Wanda June hasn't even been started since CHL, Gary, and Miss Scarlet has only been run to work and back one day.  It's been chilly here lately too, plus dark when I go home, so bike has been parked...guess I'm getting old, but just don't care for riding at night much anymore in traffic.

I went out to look at how bright the running lights were and nada the other day.  So on went the tender and this morning she's full up and green to go.  Fired right up.  Cold as a well digger's keychain here though.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 06:21:33 PM »

Not sure if it's getting older or wiser. When I was  younger I would ride all hours of the night, and think nothing of it. Now since most rural areas are getting developed more and more the critters that used to stay in the woods don't have the woods to stay in anymore. Not sure if it's correct but it sure seems to me I see more deer laying on the side of road now days then I did when I was younger.

I was able to ride couple weeks ago when we had a hot spell come thru and actually rode in short sleeves. Since that ride my bike has been on a battery tender also (learned how to stay on topic from TC). :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »

Hey D00d, have you looked at the weather for the next few days?  At least in most of NC it's gonna be really warm for this time of year.  It was cold last night, but already warming up.  I've only got the battery tender on 'ole granny' right now.....gonna charge the Huckleberry on the road for the next few.  :huepfenlol2: har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 06:33:32 PM »

No such luck here...

Tonight
Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain. Lows in the mid 30s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. 

Saturday
Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the morning. Highs in the lower 50s. Northwest winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds around 5 mph.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain. Highs in the lower 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday Night
Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Lows in the mid 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Not going to complain about the rain though. :2vrolijk_21: Bike is on the battery tender. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 06:42:32 PM »

No such luck here...

Not going to complain about the rain though. :2vrolijk_21: Bike is on the battery tender. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

How far N are you from Fancy Gap?  :-\ spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »

How far N are you from Fancy Gap?  :-\ spyder
Fancy Gap Va./N.C.??

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »

Home - Fancy Gap Va. 3 hours 14 minutes, 208 miles...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »

Looks to be about 200 mi. NE.  Now, you've got me worried about the weather forecast for Fancy Gap not being accurate.....you did say rain, didn't you?   Mmmmmmm.   Might have to make some phone calls and head South instead.  :-\  And my battery is 'questionable' also.   :nervous: har!  :drink: spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »

Not sure what forecast you have but check out this one - Weather Underground Forecast Fancy Gap Virginia.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »

Not sure what forecast you have but check out this one - Weather Underground Forecast Fancy Gap Virginia.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's no good.   :( aaarrrgh.  spyder

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »

No such luck here...

Tonight
Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain. Lows in the mid 30s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. 

Saturday
Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the morning. Highs in the lower 50s. Northwest winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. East winds around 5 mph.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain. Highs in the lower 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday Night
Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Lows in the mid 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rain in Virginia?
Damn, the Banana is gonna get wet.

Please say no snow.

And FYI, I have a converter that fits in the lighter so I can charge Rogers banana as we drive.
(to keep this on topic)

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2007, 07:44:30 PM »

Rain in Virginia?

Please say no snow.

And FYI, I have a converter that fits in the lighter so I can charge Rogers banana as we drive.
(to keep this on topic)

that was a 'stretch' S/B.  :huepfenjump3: Har!  spyder  (do you have a 'open' trailer'???? how's the 'naner' gonna be wet?)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2007, 07:45:39 PM »

Home - Fancy Gap Va. 3 hours 14 minutes, 208 miles...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I thought you were going to Williamsburg to meet up with your hooligan buddy from NC? :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 07:47:15 PM »

that was a 'stretch' S/B.  :huepfenjump3: Har!  spyder  (do you have a 'open' trailer'???? how's the 'naner' gonna be wet?)

spyder, I could tell you how, I think it'll be the seat, but I have to leave the explanation there as d00d constantly reminds us, "it is a family site"  :bananarock: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2007, 07:49:33 PM »

I thought you were going to Williamsburg to meet up with your hooligan buddy from NC? :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
He's going to Ga. to pick up a trailer then to Williamsburg to pick up a Nanner then dropping them both off to me on his way home.
:carrot: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2007, 07:54:21 PM »

spyder, I could tell you how, I think it'll be the seat, but I have to leave the explanation there as d00d constantly reminds us, "it is a family site"  :bananarock: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:
Will not be a problem for the seat if he goes by Ga. first to pick up that enclosed trailer. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2007, 07:57:23 PM »

wonder if Roger ever thought of shopping on the same Coast where he resides?  He's got stuff strewn up and down this Coast.  ??? har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »

wonder if Roger ever thought of shopping on the same Coast where he resides?  He's got stuff strewn up and down this Coast.  ??? har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

That's just cause you guys have all the good stuff back there ::)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »

Rain in Virginia?

Please say no snow.

(to keep this on topic)

And just exactly how do you know when Roger's banana is charged?!? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Wait, nevermind, I don't wanna know! :o :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »

:zthread: This thread has too many double - on - the - trays for me to keep up/understand. :confused5:  har!  :drink: spyder

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2007, 08:47:51 PM »

:zthread: This thread has too many double - on - the - trays for me to keep up/understand. :confused5:  har!  :drink: spyder

You mean like d00d's girlfriend?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2007, 08:58:35 PM »

That tree's about to bend over from the 'weight'.  :o har!  8) spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »

What happened to her orange outfit?? :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »

What happened to her orange outfit?? :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

The same thing that happened to the rest of here.  PhotoBoob.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2007, 09:14:35 PM »

The same thing that happened to the rest of here.  PhotoBoob.
I remember the last time this picture showed up I complained because the outfit didn't match my bike and somebody painted over the red in orange I thought it was you. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2007, 09:20:13 PM »

I remember the last time this picture showed up I complained because the outfit didn't match my bike and somebody painted over the red in orange I thought it was you. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I think it might have been me, the pic would have been on my puter that crashed.  Most likely from the weight of the pic. :huepfenlol2:

Or were you remembering this one?  That would keep your battery charged (staying on topic)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:22:44 PM by Rjob749 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »

I think it might have been me, the pic would have been on my puter that crashed.  Most likely from the weight of the pic. :huepfenlol2:

That and you doubled the layer of clothing on her top when you added the orange. No wonder your computer crashed. I bet it said "THUD!!!" when it did. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2007, 09:25:24 PM »

Or were you remembering this one?  That would keep your battery charged (staying on topic)
Nope, wasn't that one. That would definitely keep the battery charged though. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »

Oh Gary, She's  bbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccckkkkkkkkk

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2007, 09:38:28 PM »

If we're really going to do bad color fill jobs D00d would prefer the orange and black version....

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »

Oh Gary, She's  bbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccckkkkkkkkk
Oh No!!! You just put the bad juju on your computer. :shocked2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2007, 09:40:17 PM »

If we're really going to do bad color fill jobs D00d would prefer the orange and black version....

Hey, it wasn't bad for a quickie.........that's about how long you know who would last anyway.........and I don't mean your or me Don. :pumpkin:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »

Oh No!!! You just put the bad juju on your computer. :shocked2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's not bad juju, this is bad juju.................

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »

Hey, it wasn't bad for a quickie.........that's about how long you know who would last anyway.........and I don't mean your or me Don. :pumpkin:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2007, 09:43:51 PM »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »

D@mn, this thread makes my saddle bag liner for sale thread look like a textbook, on-topic thread. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:12 PM »

That's not bad juju, this is bad juju.................

I forgot what Don said..............orange and black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:31 PM »

Hmmmmmm. Anything I said I'd probably regret. So I'll just say again.... Hmmmmmm

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:58 PM »

D@mn, this thread makes my saddle bag liner for sale thread look like a textbook, on-topic thread. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

You had saddlebag liners for sale :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2007, 09:46:55 PM »

You had saddlebag liners for sale :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ?   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Have, not had. :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »

Hmmmmmm. Anything I said I'd probably regret. So I'll just say again.... Hmmmmmm

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

And if you didn't to begin with you would after we got through mangling and twisting and reinterpreting it....  :drink:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2007, 09:49:07 PM »

Have, not had. :huepfenlol2:

Why don't you advertise them.
You know, let the site members know?

:nixweiss:    :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

LOL, you're really on a roll tonight, buttwipe. :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2007, 09:52:52 PM »

Yeah, really let everyone know you've got 'em.  Put them in a thread or something.  Be sure and get them out where the Canadians will see them too.  They're all over that stuff.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2007, 09:54:56 PM »

LOL, you're really on a roll tonight, buttwipe. :huepfenlol2:

D00d!!  Where's D00d!  Damn moderators huffing and puffing and being a bully calling people names  :huepfenlol2: .  Can't have that chit on a friendly site like this !!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2007, 09:57:45 PM »

D00d!!  Where's D00d!  Damn moderators huffing and puffing and being a bully calling people names  :huepfenlol2: .  Can't have that chit on a friendly site like this !!
Well since you said "moderators" and originally it was just one I'll grant you your wish...

You on a roll too buttwipe. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »

Well since you said "moderators" and originally it was just one I'll grant you your wish...

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's mi amigo! :2vrolijk_09:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2007, 09:59:10 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thankyew, thankyewveramuch.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »

No problem. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_09: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »

So not fair, ganging up on a guy.  I thought it was Canadians you hated :nixweiss: ?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2007, 10:02:31 PM »

Thankyew, thankyewveramuch.
Anytime. ;) :evilgrin:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »

So not fair, ganging up on a guy.  I thought it was Canadians you hated :nixweiss: ?
Hey........what about 'battery longevity'?  :zthread: har!  :drink: spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2007, 10:08:05 PM »

Battery longevity, thread jacking; machs nichts  :nixweiss: .  I'm still sitting here on a cold Friday night with pneumonia trying to keep entertained :huepfenlol2: .

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2007, 10:08:48 PM »

I thought for sure this thread was about saddlebag liners. :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:11:21 PM by 103tHunDer »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2007, 10:11:28 PM »

Battery longevity, thread jacking; machs nichts  :nixweiss: .  I'm still sitting here on a cold Friday night with pneumonia trying to keep entertained :huepfenlol2: .
huh?  :confused5: you serious?  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2007, 10:14:33 PM »

huh?  :confused5: you serious?  spyder

Nah, not bad.  Had flu I couldn't seem to shake.  Went to the doc for some psychotropic level cough medicine because I was sure all my ribs were busted.  He said I was catching pneumonia.  Now that the cough is knocked back some I actually feel a lot better.  Not bad at all.  Now just have to swallow a bottle's worth of pills for the next several days.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2007, 10:14:56 PM »

Battery longevity, thread jacking; machs nichts  :nixweiss:I'm still sitting here on a cold Friday night with pneumonia trying to keep entertained :huepfenlol2: .

Don

Maybe this will help you feel better.
I gotta ship the nanar to Roger.
How bout I turn it sideways and stick it in the compartment hold on the Trailways bus and send it to Joplin instead?
(Yes it will fit, I went by there today and measured in anticipation of a Joplin shiment)
How cool would that be?
A nanar deliver by Trailways?

And to stay on topic I asked the bus driver how long he would keep the battery tender hooked up.
His answer was, "How long is your drop cord?"

:o

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2007, 10:16:46 PM »

His answer was, "How long is your drop cord?"

oh crap don't make me laugh too much  :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »

Nah, not bad.  Had flu I couldn't seem to shake.  Went to the doc for some psychotropic level cough medicine because I was sure all my ribs were busted.  He said I was catching pneumonia.  Now that the cough is knocked back some I actually feel a lot better.  Not bad at all.  Now just have to swallow a bottle's worth of pills for the next several days.
Yeah, I'm having to take antibiotics for a bad tooth deal......I hate these kind of drugs.  Of course, your psychotropic level cough med sounds like.. ???...I digress.  :drink: har!  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2007, 10:41:06 PM »

your psychotropic level cough med sounds like.. ???...I digress.  :drink: har!  spyder

A wise old stoner told me once that if it only hurt on another plain of existence it never really hurt.  Of course I think he was real familiar with the routes taken by Ken Kesey's bus.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »

A wise old stoner told me once that if it only hurt on another plain of existence it never really hurt.  Of course I think he was real familiar with the routes taken by Ken Kesey's bus.

And I think you wash any of those things down with Crown, VAT69, Jack Daniels....or the beverage of your choice to get the full healing effect of the med.

Oh nurse......................damn the  ::)UPS girl is here

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »

damn the  ::)UPS girl is here

I want one of those for Christmas .

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »

I want one of those for Christmas .

What one of these?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2007, 12:56:05 AM »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2007, 01:39:49 AM »

What's up, you OL' Road Dawg?  Ol' Maudie was born in October of '01.  I never failed to keep the "Battery Tender", hooked to her, and had to replace that original battery, this past Spring, in Daytona. That event is posted here somewhere, and you know the Ol' Girl's lit up like a Christmas Tree.  What's that, 5 years and 5 months?  I ain't bitchin' about that.  BTW, is your Ol' White Haired, Hard-Core a$$, comin' to Daytona this comin' Spring?  Me and OTIS, and "Sport", (the kid that drives our Race Car), are all comin' for sure.  The kid just bought him a new Black Denim, "Fat-Bob", and OTIS is bringin' his New SE V-Rod, so he'll finally have somethin' that Ol' Maudie can't outrun on Top-End.  Bet I'll still bust his a$$ from red light to red light.  We'll see, huh?  Pleaase advise.  Later--HUBBARD         
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2007, 06:44:29 AM »

Spyder....you remember back when we bought a new battery every year?  So I guess it's all good at four years.  And Hubbard getting more than 5.......there's even more hope. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2007, 08:57:11 AM »

Spyder....you remember back when we bought a new battery every year?  So I guess it's all good at four years.  And Hubbard getting more than 5.......there's even more hope. :2vrolijk_21:
yes I do, JC.  And those tall 6 volts were expensive and it was really hard to get two seasons out of them.  You notice, I said: seasons.  That's because even though we lived in a good climate, we still tore down to some extent to re-build the scooter ea. year.  Aaaaaaa, I love these new bikes with the magic button that starts 'em and batterys that last years!  har!  :drink: spyder

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2007, 09:03:06 AM »

What's up, you OL' Road Dawg?  Ol' Maudie was born in October of '01.  I never failed to keep the "Battery Tender", hooked to her, and had to replace that original battery, this past Spring, in Daytona. That event is posted here somewhere, and you know the Ol' Girl's lit up like a Christmas Tree.  What's that, 5 years and 5 months?  I ain't bitchin' about that.  BTW, is your Ol' White Haired, Hard-Core a$$, comin' to Daytona this comin' Spring?  Me and OTIS, and "Sport", (the kid that drives our Race Car), are all comin' for sure.  The kid just bought him a new Black Denim, "Fat-Bob", and OTIS is bringin' his New SE V-Rod, so he'll finally have somethin' that Ol' Maudie can't outrun on Top-End.  Bet I'll still bust his a$$ from red light to red light.  We'll see, huh?  Pleaase advise.  Later--HUBBARD         
I'm gonna ride one of these Harleys down there if I'm able 'cause I'm sure willing.  We'll have to make a serious attempt at a meeting somewhere in the sunshine state this spring.  I haven't ridden with (actually:behind) you for some time now.  Keep me apprised of your plans.  Are you staying over on the beach or 'inland' as before?  har!  8) spyder

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »

My '01 Ultra battery lasted either 4.5 or 5.5 years.  I know I replaced it in the spring when I got my '06 so that would have been around April I'm just struggling with when I bought it.  I am pretty sure I bought it in June or July of '01 not at the intro in '00 so looks like it made it almost 5 years.

No tellin' how long it sat at the dealer before I picked it up.  Not really sure it had to have a new battery when I sold it either, it hadn't been on the tender for some time and it wouldn't kick it over, so when Pats4152 from the site picked it up I threw the new one in it so he didn't have any problems with it.  He's bought cars from me for 30 years, no point in having him need to buy a battery for his new bike soon after getting it (in the event it was bad).

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »

OK, Rog......you guys are making me feel better and better about keeping this old battery in the Huckleberry and if I can find me some light-weight jumper cables for my saddlebag, I'll keep on keepin' on with the OEM batt.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: spyder

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »

I believe the secret is the tender when not in use, especially as the battery ages.

Keeping a full charge on them is certainly the best way to get the most life out of 'em.  I must admit I wasn't (still not) religious about plugging in all the time.  I usually get home from a ride and figure I will be riding again soon so I don't plug it in and then it rains for weeks and at some point I want to ride or I move the bike and :oops:

I just plugged it in the other day and it wouldn't even light the radio screen, it only took two nights to charge up.  Still it ain't good to draw them down that low I know, but these damn '06 bikes have a hell of a drain from the junk on them.

Maybe the nanner isn't so bad :bananarock: :bananarock:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »

OK, Rog......you guys are making me feel better and better about keeping this old battery in the Huckleberry and if I can find me some light-weight jumper cables for my saddlebag, I'll keep on keepin' on with the OEM batt.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: spyder
spyder,

Try these links for 3 possibilities on the cables, all specifically for bikes (smaller clamps and a storage pouch):

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BBOOST

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-11039/Yuasa/Jumper-Cables.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/60/12330/ITEM/Bikemaster-Jumper-Cables.aspx

One "heads-up" on jump starting a bike; if the donor vehicle is a car or truck rather than another bike, do not start the engine on the car or truck after connecting the cables.  The charging system on many cars/trucks can overpower the electrical system on a bike.  A car battery should have more than enough power to start the bike without the assistance of the alternator.  And don't bother trying to use the bike to jump start a dead car/truck.

Jerry

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2007, 10:47:12 AM »

spyder,

Try these links for 3 possibilities on the cables, all specifically for bikes (smaller clamps and a storage pouch):

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BBOOST

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-11039/Yuasa/Jumper-Cables.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/60/12330/ITEM/Bikemaster-Jumper-Cables.aspx

One "heads-up" on jump starting a bike; if the donor vehicle is a car or truck rather than another bike, do not start the engine on the car or truck after connecting the cables.  The charging system on many cars/trucks can overpower the electrical system on a bike.  A car battery should have more than enough power to start the bike without the assistance of the alternator.  And don't bother trying to use the bike to jump start a dead car/truck.

Jerry
thanks a lot Jerry.....some good info......(and even tho I knew some of it at one time....at my age, a 'reminder' is always good.)   :D har!    :drink:  spyder

charlie

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2007, 07:36:47 PM »

OK I never had to use a battery tender but my battery seems to be getting weak can some one tell me what I need and how to hook it up. Thank you in advance.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2007, 08:07:03 PM »

OK I never had to use a battery tender but my battery seems to be getting weak can some one tell me what I need and how to hook it up. Thank you in advance.

SuperSmart® Battery Tender®

Many of the same features as the Global Battery Charger, but smaller and more economical. It's better than a trickle charger, because of the "smart" feature that turns itself on and off as needed, so your battery never overcharges. Accepts North American voltage (120V), supplied with 2-prong unpolarized plug. Output is 12 VDC @ 750 mA. Charger output leads are equipped with quick disconnect black connectors. Compatible with the alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals (not included).

Harley Part number  94654-98A

For 12-volt batteries.

MSRP US $39.95

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »

SuperSmart® Battery Tender®

Many of the same features as the Global Battery Charger, but smaller and more economical. It's better than a trickle charger, because of the "smart" feature that turns itself on and off as needed, so your battery never overcharges. Accepts North American voltage (120V), supplied with 2-prong unpolarized plug. Output is 12 VDC @ 750 mA. Charger output leads are equipped with quick disconnect black connectors. Compatible with the alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals (not included).

Harley Part number  94654-98A

For 12-volt batteries.

MSRP US $39.95

wonder just how 'safe' it is to leave these things just plugged in all the time?  Reckon they've been known to 'shortout' and burn the barn down?   I'm a 'worry-wart' as you can tell.  :nervous: har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2007, 08:21:48 PM »

wonder just how 'safe' it is to leave these things just plugged in all the time?  Reckon they've been known to 'shortout' and burn the barn down?   I'm a 'worry-wart' as you can tell.  :nervous: har!  spyder
Mine stays plugged in all the time when the bike is parked.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »

Mine stays plugged in all the time when the bike is parked.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Gary, do you have a small one like the picture above?  Looks like it would be flush against the wall receptacle.  Does it ever get pretty warm to the touch?    :-\ spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:40 PM »

Gary, do you have a small one like the picture above?  Looks like it would be flush against the wall receptacle.  Does it ever get pretty warm to the touch?    :-\ spyder
Mine is the old style like the "Battery Tender Plus" sold by Battery Tender, but it has H-D name on it...

It sits on the floor beside the bike, and I've never felt it get warm.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

Spyder, I've got one of those, too.  It only gets the very slightest bit warm.  Wouldn't even really call it "warm," actually.  It has some protection circuits built into it, too.  When you unhook it from the battery, it turns itself off.  It also has polarity protection in case you hook it up backwards, so it won't even do any funky stuff then in case you screw up.

Nothing to worry about, I don't think.  They are purpose built to be plugged in 24/7. :2vrolijk_21:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »

Mine is the old style like the "Battery Tender Plus" sold by Battery Tender, but it has H-D name on it...

It sits on the floor beside the bike, and I've never felt it get warm.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I've got one of them, too.  I wish they still offered the one with the H-D graphics. >:(

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »

yeah, Guys, that's the same one I've been using (non-HD marked variety).  I may buy a 2nd one and like that little one pictured above, but would want it to be every bit as 'safe' as the one we're using.  ;)  har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »

I've got one of them, too.  I wish they still offered the one with the H-D graphics. >:(
My guess that H-D and Battery Tender had a falling out and Battery Tender won. My guess is that Battery Tender is making the one that H-D is selling now w/their logo on it. :nixweiss:

Look familiar....

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2007, 08:50:31 PM »

The one above is called the Battery Tender Junior and sells for $39.95 as does the H-D one.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »

At one time, I'd heard a few people say the "Jr." wasn't good for the AGM batteries and you should use the other model (like you have, Gary).  Guess that was BS since all you can get is the H-D version of the "Jr." at the dealers now. :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2007, 09:06:37 PM »

Must have been. It's saying under the specs of the "Junior" that they'll work for AGM batteries.

Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).

I was trying to see what the difference was between the Plus and Junior but the specs on the Plus are vague. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:01 PM »

Must have been. It's saying under the specs of the "Junior" that they'll work for AGM batteries.

Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).

I was trying to see what the difference was between the Plus and Junior but the specs on the Plus are vague. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Biggest diff. I see is almost twice the power.  I like the one we're using.......it's able to chg. a depleted battery much faster than the 'junior', I'd think.  :coolblue:  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2007, 09:11:27 PM »

Didn't go deep enough here are the specs for both...

Battery Tender Junior

Battery Tender Junior
12V @ 0.75A $39.95
The Battery Tender Junior is much more than a trickle charger. It has a brain. It's lightweight, compact, and fully automatic; very easy to use, especially in small spaces. It will keep your battery fully charged so that it is ready to go when you are!

Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).
Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery.
If the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.
Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.
Spark proof.
Reverse polarity protected.
12' output cord.
5 year warranty

Battery Tender Plus

Battery Tender Plus
12V @ 1.25A $59.95
The Battery Tender Plus is a 1.25 amp battery charger designed to fully charge a battery and maintain it at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. Included is a quick connect harness for hard to reach areas.

Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature.
Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode.
Battery Tender at 1.25 amps will charge as fast or faster than any 3 amp charger available.
Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety. Red & Green Lights Alternately Flash in this condition.
Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).
10 year Warranty!

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »

Biggest diff. I see is almost twice the power.  I like the one we're using.......it's able to chg. a depleted battery much faster than the 'junior', I'd think.  :coolblue:  spyder
I believe that is it, and has twice the warranty. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

I've got two of 'em...one I picked up at the Ducati dealer before I got the HD, and the other is the HD Jr. model.  Both work great, but I actually prefer the version from the Duc dealer, as the charger itself is just slightly larger, but has a cord to plug into the outlet rather than plugging in the "box" itself.  The weight of the box can be a small issue if you're having to plug it into certain types of outlets, where the other one sits on the floor...works the same too, but has a slightly higher initial output.  It stays hooked up to the V now.

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2007, 08:47:57 AM »

I use this one for 2 bikes at a time. It works fine. :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=All&ci=3519

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2007, 09:01:21 AM »

I can damn sure relate to that one or two or three or... Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2007, 09:56:34 AM »

I can damn sure relate to that one or two or three or... Greg
OK, but.....there's a lot of positives to having the 'other scooter' sitting there ready to ride also.  :-* har!  spyder

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2007, 05:58:45 AM »

OK, but.....there's a lot of positives to having the 'other scooter' sitting there ready to ride also.  :-* har!  spyder

Lots and lots and lots of positives. Especially if the battery of the "other scooter" is charged and the bike is tuned and ready to rumble.

:cherry:

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2007, 01:18:23 PM »

I use this on mine with a 2 connector trailer harness.

Chicago Electric Power Tools
AUTOMATIC BATTERY FLOAT CHARGER   

Skip the aggravation of a jump-start by keeping your vehicle's battery fully charged. Use on 12V batteries while in storage or during cold weather. The floating circuit maintains a full charge without overcharging. Includes automatic safety shut off. Leads: 10 ft. overall length

ITEM 42292-1VGA
$14.99

$7.49

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • A Harley isn't just for Christmas, it's for LIFE!

« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2007, 02:06:54 PM »

The battery on my 01 Sporty is still doing the business, and I've never had a battery tender or charger near it.  However, I had to replace the battery on my 03 Ultra at 2½ years, and it was battery tended all its days.

Which goes to show, I guess, that some last, some don't and you never can tell!   :nixweiss: MoCo batteries tend to be purty good though I think.

Jim
'14 FLHTKSE
'94 Ford Escort Cosworth, 320BHP & just 19,000 miles, owned since new
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »

The battery on my 01 Sporty is still doing the business, and I've never had a battery tender or charger near it.  However, I had to replace the battery on my 03 Ultra at 2½ years, and it was battery tended all its days.

Which goes to show, I guess, that some last, some don't and you never can tell!   :nixweiss: MoCo batteries tend to be purty good though I think.Jim
Lowest bidder.  A lot has to do with how they're initially charged, I think, as well as maintained.  :) har!  spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2007, 08:17:06 PM »

I saw this Q&A about battery life in the February 2008 Rider magazine and thought of this thread.  Yeah, they're talking about a Suzuki and they say that catastrophic failures such as this are rare, but I thought this might give the "thrill seekers" (a.k.a. Fired00d ;)) something to think about.  I mean, it could happen to a Harley, too, right? :nixweiss: :nervous:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

I saw this Q&A about battery life in the February 2008 Rider magazine and thought of this thread.  Yeah, they're talking about a Suzuki and they say that catastrophic failures such as this are rare, but I thought this might give the "thrill seekers" (a.k.a. Fired00d ;)) something to think about.  I mean, it could happen to a Harley, too, right? :nixweiss: :nervous:

Suzuki and a seven year battery. :oops: Don't think I fall into either of those category's. :huepfenlol2: Besides I'm only going for five years. ;) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »

I just checked and I earlier said four years here so I guess I'm even safer. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »

Hey D00d, he really posted that article to worry me.  You're no where near the worrier that I am......so when will you replace your battery.......what month?  If I'm counting right, we've got another year before we need to replace ours, right?  :confused5: spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »

Hey D00d, he really posted that article to worry me.  You're no where near the worrier that I am......so when will you replace your battery.......what month?  If I'm counting right, we've got another year before we need to replace ours, right?  :confused5: spyder

'D00d has an orange bike and they didn't come out 'til, what, spring '04?  So, his is newer than yours, Spyder.  Don't wait for 'D00d! :nervous:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »

In an earlier post I said four years so I guess it'll be this July for me. But Brian has challenged me now though. :P ;D Just kidding I'll probably get it replaced in July. I have had a stator go bad on a previous bike that actually toasted a battery, but it was the stator going bad that ruined the battery not the other way around.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:42:28 PM by Fired00d »
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:33 PM »

In an earlier post I said four years so I guess it'll be this July for me. But Brian has challenged me now though. :P ;D Just kidding I'll probably get it replaced in July. I have had a stator go bad on a previous bike that actually toasted a battery, but it was the stator going bad that ruined the battery not the other way around.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I've 'melted' a stator on my Nostalgia also, but I don't know how you know the 'cause & effect' on something like that.  I never could determine what caused mine to fry.  Maybe just age, you know some things just don't last as long as others   ???  har!  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »

I've 'melted' a stator on my Nostalgia also, but I don't know how you know the 'cause & effect' on something like that.  I never could determine what caused mine to fry.  Maybe just age, you know some things just don't last as long as others   ???  har!  spyder
The reason I felt it was the stator over the battery was the battery was relatively new (under 6 months), the voltage regulator wasn't harmed (not replaced), but the battery died a few weeks later due to me running it down trying to make it to dealer. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2007, 12:53:33 AM »

$30K and up bikes and you guys are worried about spending 100 bucks every 2 years, to insure you never have a problem? What's wrong with this picture?! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:11 AM »

$30K and up bikes and you guys are worried about spending 100 bucks every 2 years, to insure you never have a problem? What's wrong with this picture?! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
I'm not worried. :confused5: It's about choices certainly you know about that. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2007, 10:04:32 AM »

Here's my story:
Friday- I get ready to ride & the battery on the Lil Mermaid (SEUC) is dead,(she sat for 9 days) so I put in on a 6A battery charger. After 2 hrs, she starts. I ride the 15 or so miles to the French Quarter. (had all electronics turned off)  Park by Johnny Whites & watch the scenery walk by on Bourbon St.

After 4 hrs, I go to start, no joy!.  :'(  I had my battery tender w/ me, so we plugged it in to a nearby restaurant. After 2 hrs, it seemed worse (just clicked).
So, I used my -1- HOG service call....
the NOPD was nice enuff to let the tow vehicle drive & load on Bourbon, when it was blocked off for pedestrian traffic only

The bike is 5mos old w/8900mi.  My old Ultra had 89k in 8yrs with on 2 batteries while living in Wisconsin. My FXDWG is 6 yrs old w/ only 13k (sits alot), original battery works like new.

I'm wondering if there's a short somewhere??
Or is this just a POS battery??
(no recent changes to the bike other than a burned out turn-signal bulb due to water leakage)
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »

I'm guessing that you checked the obvious, the connections at the battery?

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »

Cables tight, no corrosion.
Looked around for frayed wires, too...
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.885 seconds with 21 queries.